His Dark Materials

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

His Dark Materials

Post by phyco126 »

Anyone else hear that they are turning Philip Pullman's trilogy into a movie trilogy? Starring Nicole Kidman even. I have to say I am quite excited, though I hate waiting this movie will be worth waiting for. I hope. Unless they butcher it. Then I'll be mad, but I have faith and I have been too disappointed before with other movies!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Interesting.

I adore the books, of course. As for the movie... I'm going to remain entirely unexcited about it until I see a preview. Then I'll get giddy for a few moments, and calmly mark my calendar. When the day arrives, there will be a calm enveloping me... until the first ten minutes, when hopefully I can tell that it's at least *pretty* good. And afterward I'll rave like a geeky fanboy, "OMG, did you see that? DAEMONS!"
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Nicole Kidman's been looking funny lately, like she hit anorexia or something. I mean, she looked fine around 2000-2001 or so...

I know nothing about the books, however. So that's about all I can comment on. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, appearently there are some fans of the books who arn't happy with Nicole Kidman as a leading role. Ah, fans, always hard to please. Having read the trilogy and reading the first book several times, I think Nicole Kidman is a fine enough actor for the role. Not like they will be picking Paris Hilton for anything.

And I meant to say "haven't been too dissapointed" not "Have been too dissapointed."

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:Nicole Kidman's been looking funny lately, like she hit anorexia or something. I mean, she looked fine around 2000-2001 or so...

I blame botox.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Nicole Kidman's been looking funny lately, like she hit anorexia or something. I mean, she looked fine around 2000-2001 or so...

I blame botox.

I hate to say it, but that's likely. Now that I look at her picture again, she's got the botox smile... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: His Dark Materials

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:Anyone else hear that they are turning Philip Pullman's trilogy into a movie trilogy? Starring Nicole Kidman even. I have to say I am quite excited, though I hate waiting this movie will be worth waiting for. I hope. Unless they butcher it. Then I'll be mad, but I have faith and I have been too disappointed before with other movies!

There is a great deal of probability that you'll think they've done this regardless. Books are simply better due to you visualizing everything to your own liking.

I recommend that you suppress your expectations and just try to appreciate it. Even if you can't manage that, you'll still get to be someone who jumps into a conversation about the movies and say "the book was better!" and everyone will listen in on your reasoning.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
phyco126 wrote:Anyone else hear that they are turning Philip Pullman's trilogy into a movie trilogy? Starring Nicole Kidman even. I have to say I am quite excited, though I hate waiting this movie will be worth waiting for. I hope. Unless they butcher it. Then I'll be mad, but I have faith and I have been too disappointed before with other movies!

There is a great deal of probability that you'll think they've done this regardless. Books are simply better due to you visualizing everything to your own liking.

I recommend that you suppress your expectations and just try to appreciate it. Even if you can't manage that, you'll still get to be someone who jumps into a conversation about the movies and say "the book was better!" and everyone will listen in on your reasoning.

No worries there mate, I'm not one of those people :P Sure I do it a little, but normally I don't even expect the movies and books to be too similiar. This has come in handy, allowing me to fully enjoy both :D

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:Books are simply better due to you visualizing everything to your own liking.
Books are just different, not better. There are plenty of movies that are on par with books that wouldn't be nearly as good when converted to a novel format.