Silent Hill

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
ShadowAce
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Silent Hill

Post by ShadowAce »

The Silent Hill official trailer is out. There was the Flash animation that was on the main site when it opened about a month back that had actually been so popular, that Sony had to make a .mov file of it for download. It was then labeled a "teaser trailer".

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=12774

and if the link that's on there is too slow:

Silent Hill Trailer Direct DL

I must say, that I'm very surprised how great this movie looks. The guy directing it directed Brotherhood of the Wolf and that was simply a FANTASTIC movie. I have high hopes that this movie may break the Video game-to-movie curse.

I have high hopes after seeing the trailer, I really do. Any fan of SIlent Hill will appreciate how much justice the movie does to the game.

Judge for yourself. :P

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Yeah, as you mentioned, I just hope it isn't a repeat of what usually happens to movies based on video games. *Still shudders at the Resident Evil movies...* I'll go see it though. :wink:
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Silentcrisis
BANNED

Re: Silent Hill

Post by Silentcrisis »

ShadowAce wrote: I have high hopes that this movie may break the Video game-to-movie curse.

videeo game movie curse????
resident evil and tomb raider both made great movies

red9_merchant
Student of Vane

Re: Silent Hill

Post by red9_merchant »

Silentcrisis wrote:
ShadowAce wrote: I have high hopes that this movie may break the Video game-to-movie curse.

videeo game movie curse????
resident evil and tomb raider both made great movies

Someone who agrees with me! Well, kinda. I have yet to see the Tomb Raider movies.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

Yes, so far I'm impressed. It seems like they may have changed a few things,
(the town being abondoned, the fire still burning...) but in truth, it makes sense
to me that they would add to it. Either way, movies are a different medium than
video games, so...I'd prefer a good, yet modified movie to a bad yet accurate translation.

Either way, it looks great, especially the sets!

Rahl13
Burg Farmer

Post by Rahl13 »

Creepy school...check
Blurry Snow used instead of fog...check
Siren in the background...check

All it needs now is the good ol' rusty pipe to wail on things and it's set. :D

It seems to be good, in the fact it's appears to be sticking to the original elements. I agree with the idea of a slightly modified version, justmy hope is the don't turn it into a action movie. The games always relied on suspense of not knowing what was in this room or around some corner. That, and you always heard something in the dark before it attacked you, adding to those elements.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I saw the trailer, and I must say it does seem similiar to the game (for what little I played at least.) Man, the fog and snow in the game was freaky as heck, and always got my heart pumping when the radio started to do that interference sound.

Anyway, I might actually watch it sometime, as for once, it looks like it might actually be a good videogame -> movie.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Rahl13 wrote:Creepy school...check
Blurry Snow used instead of fog...check
Siren in the background...check

All it needs now is the good ol' rusty pipe to wail on things and it's set. :D

It seems to be good, in the fact it's appears to be sticking to the original elements. I agree with the idea of a slightly modified version, justmy hope is the don't turn it into a action movie. The games always relied on suspense of not knowing what was in this room or around some corner. That, and you always heard something in the dark before it attacked you, adding to those elements.

Hmm, I think it's raining soot, because of the fire that happens before the movie. But still, awesomely creepy xD

I think the modification is to open it up to a possible sequel. I watched someone else play SH2, but it was about a man looking for his wife who he may or may not have known was dead right? So, maybe the Christopher guy will go to Silent Hill himself to look for the wife? But I'm not sure who the villian would be, since Pyramid Head looks like he'll be the villian in this one...

Omg, it looks so good though. I wore out the trailer when I first downloaded it! I got to see it on the big screen when I went to see Underworld Evolution (which to put it nicely I would recommend NOT seeing... but that's just IMHO ^^').

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

PrettyGirlJean wrote:I think the modification is to open it up to a possible sequel. I watched someone else play SH2, but it was about a man looking for his wife who he may or may not have known was dead right? So, maybe the Christopher guy will go to Silent Hill himself to look for the wife? But I'm not sure who the villian would be, since Pyramid Head looks like he'll be the villian in this one...

Yup. This is why you shouldn't listen to letters from your dead wife. D:

Actually, in an interview with Gans, he mentioned that he might be interested in making a sequel, especially of SH3.
Interview
If the first one's good, I would love that, either of the first or second game. Although, my friend and I kept joking about Christopher when he talked about finding his wife. (Pulling a James? Except, I suppose she's alive, if Rose...)

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I'd much prefer to see a movie made out of "The Room" though. I really liked 3, but after 4, I've gotta say that I found it more creepy. My main reasoning is that the majority of time spent in 3 was running around, it took forever to get to actual plot scenes... although it was good when you did. Vicent was weird... and oh shoot I forgot her name, that creepy lady... :p Heather was also the dirtiest teen EVER. lol It would've made sense if she was dirty after running around in the "other" world, but she had dirt all over her face in the beginning :p

Omg, that pic of Pyramid Head! O_O .... I can't wait for the movie! Ahhh!

Edit: Btw, I found this after visiting that link posted here earlier... looks like an interesting game... Rule of Rose: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xNRHHeY-HPo& ... %20rose%20

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

PrettyGirlJean wrote:I'd much prefer to see a movie made out of "The Room" though. I really liked 3, but after 4, I've gotta say that I found it more creepy. My main reasoning is that the majority of time spent in 3 was running around, it took forever to get to actual plot scenes... although it was good when you did. Vicent was weird... and oh shoot I forgot her name, that creepy lady... :p Heather was also the dirtiest teen EVER. lol It would've made sense if she was dirty after running around in the "other" world, but she had dirt all over her face in the beginning :p

Omg, that pic of Pyramid Head! O_O .... I can't wait for the movie! Ahhh!

SPOILER WARNING.

I kept hoping Heather would slap Vincent, he was such a jerk. >__>; Walking away works too though. And her name was Claudia.

As for SH3, I totally agree with your first statement. I still found it way creepier than SH4, but there was very little plot in the first half of the game...surprisingly, I didn't mind all that much, but it would have been nice if it were more balanced. I still prefer the movie being SH1 to 4 just because I prefer the story, I suppose.
SH4 was scary, just...for me, all the fighting took away from it. There were a few parts where it was used to good effect (baby faces come to mind) but all in all, it distracted me from the overall atmosphere of the game. I much prefer the lighter fighting of the earlier games.

Still, there were some bloody scary moments in SH4...the first time I saw little Walter's shadow in Henry's closet, I screamed and threw the controller at my friend. D: The footsteps and light you can see coming from the observation room when you're in the cells was also fairly creepy, especially the second time through...
Also, I found the whole Apartment World (2nd time) vaguely disturbing. The sound effects in some rooms (reminicent of labour?) not to mention the 'body bags' and haunting music made it the most effective in my opinion. Oooh, I went on a tangent. Oh well, it was a fun one.

Yeah, that's about all. And I hope the movie will be great, 'cause it sure are heck looks that way.

artzi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by artzi »

This time it follows the story of the original title much closely. Usually game movies aren't related to game itself.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/silenthill/

ShadowAce
Student of Vane

Post by ShadowAce »

artzi wrote:This time it follows the story of the original title much closely. Usually game movies aren't related to game itself.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/silenthill/

That's because usually you get directors who don't know jack about the game they're turning into a movie. *cough*Uwe Boll*cough*

the more and more I see of the Silent Hill movie, the more my hopes are raising that this movie is going to be sooo good. With the latest TV spot finally showing that the movie hasthe rating we all knew it would have: R. <3 <3

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I saw the trailer again last week and it finally has an official in theaters date! April 21st! Sooner that I thought it would be - woo! :D

As for Silent Hill 4 (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

[spoiler] think Elaine's huge face was pretty freaky, and then in the background she sounded all orgasmic. And the eyes followed you... I was completely freaked out. I stood there for a few minutes wondering if the face would eat Harry or do something... and when it didn't that just kinda freaked me out more - Lol :p

Yea, the Walter shadow in the closet scared the heck out of me too, and I gotta say towards the end when you find Walter in that secret room in the apartment... Oh man, I was playing all alone at night and I really didn't want to be in there... *shudder* I mean, how did he get himself up there like that? :shock: [/spoiler]

I just don't understand why SH4 get's hated on... sure it may not be as closely related to the storyline as the previous games, but I feel it does have an interesting story. I think Walter was a very interesting character and the premise behind The Room was definitely unique. It makes me wonder what the next game will be like. I've seen on many game websites that there have been official statements that SH5 is in production but they're not sure what new console it will be on. I'm hoping PS3... overall, I've like the Playstation consoles over GC and XBOX. They always seem to have more of a variety in all game genres.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

PrettyGirlJean wrote:I saw the trailer again last week and it finally has an official in theaters date! April 21st! Sooner that I thought it would be - woo! :D

As for Silent Hill 4 (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

[spoiler] think Elaine's huge face was pretty freaky, and then in the background she sounded all orgasmic. And the eyes followed you... I was completely freaked out. I stood there for a few minutes wondering if the face would eat Harry or do something... and when it didn't that just kinda freaked me out more - Lol :p

Yea, the Walter shadow in the closet scared the heck out of me too, and I gotta say towards the end when you find Walter in that secret room in the apartment... Oh man, I was playing all alone at night and I really didn't want to be in there... *shudder* I mean, how did he get himself up there like that? :shock: [/spoiler]

I just don't understand why SH4 get's hated on... sure it may not be as closely related to the storyline as the previous games, but I feel it does have an interesting story. I think Walter was a very interesting character and the premise behind The Room was definitely unique. It makes me wonder what the next game will be like. I've seen on many game websites that there have been official statements that SH5 is in production but they're not sure what new console it will be on. I'm hoping PS3... overall, I've like the Playstation consoles over GC and XBOX. They always seem to have more of a variety in all game genres.

I agree with you to some extent on SH4- I'm really rather fond of that game, but at the same time there are things about it that really frustrate me, and even the horror is done in a very different style than the other SH games.
Storywise, I thought it was fairly interesting, although I wish they'd put some of the information that was in the Victim files in the, oh- I don't know, game, because that would have cleared a bunch up. Not only that, but the whole limited inventory thing was a real pain, especially in the Apt. Building 2nd time.
Buuut...at the same time, it really doesn't deserve the bad name it got, in my opinion. If it did anything, it shook up the series, and kept it from being stale. Rehashes would have been much worse than a new attempt at origionality.

On the subject of platform, I honestly couldn't care less. All of the Silent Hill games after one have been multi-platformer, so I wouldn't expect them to change that now.

Yeesss, I know! April 21st! I'm actually surprised that they haven't pushed it back, since it seems rare for a release date to stay steady for so long.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Agawa wrote:
Storywise, I thought it was fairly interesting, although I wish they'd put some of the information that was in the Victim files in the, oh- I don't know, game, because that would have cleared a bunch up. Not only that, but the whole limited inventory thing was a real pain, especially in the Apt. Building 2nd time.

Buuut...at the same time, it really doesn't deserve the bad name it got, in my opinion. If it did anything, it shook up the series, and kept it from being stale. Rehashes would have been much worse than a new attempt at origionality.

Yeesss, I know! April 21st! I'm actually surprised that they haven't pushed it back, since it seems rare for a release date to stay steady for so long.

Yeah, I think it would've made the game longer, but I would've liked to have known a lot more about the victims... especially since they obviously play such a big role. The limited inventory could be annoying, but it also added to the challenge, and I think it was meant to give that tense decisions factor. Each time you went to it you sometimes really had to think what you really needed and may have had to sacrifice and particular weapon for health or vice versa. I only really found it a TRUE pain at the end boss... those damn spears and what not :p

I wish there was some new shred of detail about the new game. I really think that a movie is a great sign of it's popularity. I really think it's about time. I mean, I could never really get into the RE series. I really only seemed to me a shoot'em up zombie game... I never really could get into the characters. The graphics were really nice and it was fun to play at times. It's not a horrible game, but it never creeped me out like SH. I just hope that SH isn't changed drastically... I hear RE went from Zombie's to crazy people... which I find fascinating actually, I think I'd find crazy sick people far more scary than zombies. lol

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

I saw the trailer when a friend and I went to go see V for Vendetta. She pretty much brushed it off as another "Ring" like movie, but I was actually interested. I think, from what the trailer has shown, that they've captured the atmosphere very well from the games. I noticed they also used music from the games in the trailer, so I wonder if they're going to do so for the movie (y'know how trailer music often doesn't match with the movie ...or game even. Conan music seems to often be used for Zelda games O.o).

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

So, I saw the movie this Thursday, and was, well, disappointed.

I'd rather not get too detailed here, so not to spoil people going, but here are the basics. First of all, the atmosphere was amazing- for the first half of the movie. After that, there was way to much explaination. It's like they separated it into two halved, 'action' and 'plot'. Not only that, but the plot seemed rather, well, boring.
Either way I wasn't very fond of it. Drat.

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

I think that it was... Okay. I would much rather have seen Scary Movie 4 again. That was a good movie.
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I saw it a few times when it first came out. I can say for people who are fans of the game series they'll love it. People who haven't will tend to be confused by somethings. Even I was a little confused by one particular thing in the movie which is a pretty neat debate - I'll put it in black text so not to spoil anything:

It was whether or not Rose and Sharon died or not in the car wreck at the beginning of the movie - a lot of people think they did and that's what the ending is all about. Some people think they're still alive just caught up in Alessa's world.

Anyhow, the atmosphere was perfect. There were camera angles right out of the game. The environment was exactly as it was in the game! I thought that perhaps changing the lead role from male to female may not have been a good idea, but it turned out to be just fine. A lot of people were saying how it sounded like just another cliched horror movie, but Rose wasn't an airhead, how she acted was pretty damn genuine and I think the director stayed nicely away from cliches.

Some of the scripting was a little cheesy in places, but that happens in just about any movie anyways :p So, I don't hold this against th movie at all.

As with the environment, the creatures were awesome as well! They too look liked the stepped out of the game. And Pyramid Head ... NOT ENOUGH of him in the movie! Really! He needed to own some more! :p But he gave me the chills whenever he showed up. Really awesome.

The music was great, and it's awesome that they used music from all of the games! Another great idea for immersing fans into the movie. But the music is also great in that it's perfect for people that haven't played the games as well.

I'll agree that towards the end it got a little boring, there was a particular death (burned to death) that didn't seem to make much sense and I really feel that it would've been best if it hadn't happened because if there is a sequel it would've helped much better to have that person in the movie.

Speaking of a sequel, I'm still on the fence about whether I'd like to see a sequel or not. I mean, I LOVE Silent Hill, I love this movie, but it's really hard to tell. I mean, it may not have had an overwhelming success, but it's done just as well if not better than Resident Evil, I think. So, I'm sure there could be a sequel. I'm not sure what storyline they'd go with though. A LOT of people seem to want SH2, but as good as that story was, I don't think it would happen. One, the movie would HAVE to be at least 3 hours to fit in all the important storyline. I mean, the game is what 30+ or around that? So yeah, I think there's way too much going on in that to be made into a movie. Now, SH3, that could happen. It continues the storyline of the first game. So, in my mind it would make more sense to use that for a sequel.

Anyhow, back to the movie though, I really suggest (if you can) watching it one or two more times after your first time, because I missed some things on my first time around. I think it makes the movie much better that way. For some it may just enforce their dislike, I dunno :p

Overall, the movie was great, a little slow at the end, but for Silent Hill fans, it makes little difference, because there's just enough action, and hey the "bad guys" get theirs in the end :p