Are you a big fan of manga and/or anime artbooks?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.

So, are ya a big fan? ;)

Yes! And I have the pictures to prove it!
18%
Huge fan, but modest collection.
64%
I like it, but don't collect - I read it at the store...
No votes
No. Never. Hate. Blood... boiling.
No votes
I'm indifferent.
18%
What the heck is manga???
No votes

Total votes: 11

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Are you a big fan of manga and/or anime artbooks?

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I went on a picture spree since I just got my new camera, and thought I'd post some pics of my manga (english and japanese) collection. It's not huge by any means, but it's growing. I especiall (as you'll see) like shoujo manga, but I love all genres of anime and manga a like.

First, is my collection of Japanese manga (top shelf), and my artbooks (second shelf).... please forgive all the random stuff on the second shelf ^^; heh.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/ ... manga1.jpg

The first link below is of my main manga that I've either finished collecting (such as Mars, Peach Girl, and Girl Got Game), or I'm continuing to collect (I've fallen behind with Red River and a bunch ;_; ):

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/ ... manga1.jpg

Pretty much the same pic, but you can see my misc manga at the bottom. Although I have 1-4 of Kare First Love...but I have no more shelf space x(

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/ ... manga2.jpg

Whether you have pics or not, I'd still like to know what others collections are like, please share ^_^

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

*sigh* I love artbooks, but I can never find any, so I only have one or two. =/

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I have about twenty artbooks, but I don't have the pictures to prove it. ^^;

My manga collection isn't as impressive though. I have the complete Parasyte and Saint Tail, but only the first few volumes of the other five series I'm reading. (And one of them, 3x3 Eyes, has been discontinued in the US. :|)
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Whoa, wait. There was a Skies of Arcadia Legends strategy guide released? (in the right hand side of the first picture)

You have a large one compared to me, but I don't concentrate on collecting that much or anything. I have some Miyazaki manga and artbooks, some Tenchi Muyo, and some Ah! My Goddess, mainly. Occasionally I look and see a series or two that intrigue me (like Chrono Crusade), but... for now, my money is better spent elsewhere. ^^;;;
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Sonic# wrote:Whoa, wait. There was a Skies of Arcadia Legends strategy guide released? (in the right hand side of the first picture)

You have a large one compared to me, but I don't concentrate on collecting that much or anything. I have some Miyazaki manga and artbooks, some Tenchi Muyo, and some Ah! My Goddess, mainly. Occasionally I look and see a series or two that intrigue me (like Chrono Crusade), but... for now, my money is better spent elsewhere. ^^;;;

Yeah, my fiance use to work at a chain store called "The Exchange" (formerly "The Record Exchange - but they started selling way more present day media so the name was changed), and he got it from there... it's got some nice artwork in it which was the my main reason for getting it... since I don't have the game :\

Well, my collection isn't really too big, but what I have is years of collecting... a good 10 years probably... so yeah, it's not that large at least not compared to some pictures I've seen of collections that fill whole walls. Now that's something to behold! ^^

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

hehe, mines gotten pretty big since I got back home from college. If I recall corectly I bought about 23 new manga and two new anime boxed sets (Media Play went out of buisness 60% off doesn't happen everyday)
That said I am not 100% sure how many I have though it exceeds 100 books and 25 discs. No picture to prove it but I'll be sure to get one when I go home again.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I have some manga, but it's not a particularily large collection. Of what I have, I'd consider the most notable work to be Barefoot Gen (a manga based on the author's experiences in Hiroshima when the atomic bomb was dropped).

I also own a couple of artbooks. They're pretty much all related to either the Langrisser series or the Growlanser series, since I'm a big fan of Satoshi Urushihara's character designs.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I have Lunar artbooks and manga, of course, but not much other than that. Growlanser Character Collection and the Grow 4 one which I don't remember the name of. I think there may be one or two other game artbooks; probably Zelda Box would count. And back in 1988ish I ended up with the Robotech Art 1 book because a friend had an extra, though I don't think I saw more than half the episodes myself.

I'd like the Growlanser chara designs better if they weren't so interchangeable. Take this pose and this hair and this dress and some white boots and put shine on the hair with an editing program... The rough sketches in the character collection don't show much and there really aren't very many pieces of art for each one; lots of recycling.

Silentcrisis
BANNED

Post by Silentcrisis »

are there any lunar mangas in english

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Sadly, no, but I believe there are translations for them lying around somewhere. (Or am I just thinking about the novels Kiz translated?? :? )

Anyway, I LOVE manga and artbooks! :D My manga collection isn't as big as yours PrettyGirlJean, but it's large. I only have three artbooks: Ranmah 1/2, Naruto, and Howl's Moving Castle. I want to get the Spirited Away artbook sometime as well. I'll try to get pictures of my collection up sometime soon. :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kiz has put up a translation of Vheen Hikuusen Monogatari (Vane Airship Stories) on the main site; check the Manga link. All of the manga have been translated by various people. Rebecca Capowski translated the Vheen one and the two Magic School ones, and perhaps the Eternal Blue one; Childhood's End was translated by someone whose name escapes me at the moment. But Kizyr plans to translate them all himself as well; he's currently working on Childhood's End. The actual manga themselves are getting hard to find, but there's some description in the Vheen translation on the site which should help get the idea of what's going on across.

There's also Lunatic Parade, some little promo comics for Eternal Blue done by the same mangaka, Akari Funato. These appear translated in the EBC official guide. She did a few other bits and pieces which mostly haven't been translated as far as I know, but they're along the same lines as Lunatic Parade, just little shorts.