"Roads...? Where We're Going We Don't Need...Roads."

New users, post your introduction to the forums here here!
Posters leaving for or returning after an extended period of time, feel free to post here as well!

Did you play your own "Lunar" game as a kid?

Yeah.
No votes
I was so in character I could have gone Broadway.
No votes
I was too old or didn't know any other Lunar fans.
No votes
I regret not wielding the holy Sword of Althena as a child.
No votes

Total votes: 0

OO.
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

"Roads...? Where We're Going We Don't Need...Roads."

Post by OO. »

Pretty sure that was a direct quote from Althena to Dragonmaster McFly shortly before flying through space after the destruction of the Blue Star.

Although it may be time to question Althena's logic here. First she dumps the remaining citizens of the Blue Star on the closest possible location in the universe to Zophar himself. Then she died. Surprise, Zophar found everyone. He was upset. Like that kid who was "it" in hide and seek and just figured out everyone had gone home while he was counting.

It's okay. Don't feel bad Althena. Once, I ran away from home and chose my backyard as the hideout. Happens to all of us.

Alright, now I'm just amusing myself.

I've been a fan since my older brother's friend brought his used copy of Lunar to a slumber party and we all started playing this make-believe game as Lunar characters. Now I'm 23, feeling a little nostalgic for the old days, and questioning if Lunar is as good as my memory tells me it is. My Sega is broken, so here I am.

Good to be here.
End of Eternity.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Re: "Roads...? Where We're Going We Don't Need...Roads."

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Actually, I admit I used to "play" Lunar with one of my nephews. I didn't think there was anyone else out there that did that besides me. o_o

I got him into the series at a young age, so we more or less role played Lunar every time I had to baby sit my nephews, lol. Those were good times. :3

In fact, he even has his Youtube page with a Lunar background and Alex as his avatar right now, lol. It made me proud of myself for corrupting him with J-RPGs. XD

Anyway, welcome to L-Net! Enjoy yourself!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It took me a moment to figure out what this poll was asking. Possibly because I was about 20 when I played my first RPG (which was Lunar TSS). Had this happened 10 or so years earlier I might well have used the setting for some make-believe play, though not as any extant character.

And because I can't resist an argument like this even if it's a joke, Althena's choice of Lunar as the refuge from the Blue Star made perfect sense as presented in the SegaCD Eternal Blue. The intro to that game specifies that she had already created a garden for herself on it, so she was familiar with it and some of the work had already been done. The spectacle Gwyn and Hiro behold of Lucia's imminent arrival in the Blue Spire implies a straight-line connection between it and her tower on the Blue Star (although of course any two points can be connected by a straight line, I mean that it's parallel to the Spire and apparently unobstructed), which would probably require a close, geosynchronous location. And the Silver Star's second function as an accumulator of energy to restore the Blue Star would probably also make more sense if it were spatially close to the Blue Star.

Also, by the time Althena retired from active caretaking of Lunar and its people, she believed that the people of Lunar would be sufficient to aid Lucia in defeating Zophar. More to the point, his revival was not a surprise from her perspective; her recorded message refers to him.

I think the truly puzzling thing is why Zophar was incarcerated on Lunar rather than the Blue Star. :P Not enough information about their natures to answer.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I was 16 or 17. A boy I had a thing for cemented my resolve to assemble a Sega CD for the purpose of playing Lunar. A great undertaking, it was. But there was no extracurricular role play.

But that's awesome. :mrgreen: Welcome!

As to the other topic, was it Althena's intent to hide from Zophar? Was Zophar sealed on Lunar?
「まあいいけど。」

OO.
Saith Pirate

Post by OO. »

Dark_Fairy wrote:Actually, I admit I used to "play" Lunar with one of my nephews. I didn't think there was anyone else out there that did that besides me. o_o
I remember playing all kinds of dorky games like that years ago. We're probably not alone, even though so far we are. :D
Dark_Fairy wrote:I got him into the series at a young age, so we more or less role played Lunar every time I had to baby sit my nephews, lol. Those were good times. :3

In fact, he even has his Youtube page with a Lunar background and Alex as his avatar right now, lol. It made me proud of myself for corrupting him with J-RPGs. XD
Awe, nice. Was his favorite character always Alex? Did he watch you play or do it on his own?
Alunissage wrote:It took me a moment to figure out what this poll was asking. Possibly because I was about 20 when I played my first RPG (which was Lunar TSS). Had this happened 10 or so years earlier I might well have used the setting for some make-believe play, though not as any extant character.
Yeah, when reading the whole thing back to myself I wondered if the poll would make sense. Maybe if I edit it and replace the word "Play" with something like "Imagine" it'll better convey my intention.

You know, I completely missed EB by going from TSS to EBC. I always thought more content was added but now I'm wondering what I missed. I remember thinking Zophar was the physical embodiment of mankind's negativity and an eternal shadow for them. Not sure if that was part of the story or if I made it up to explain his presence on Lunar.
Shiva Indis wrote:I was 16 or 17. A boy I had a thing for cemented my resolve to assemble a Sega CD for the purpose of playing Lunar. A great undertaking, it was.
For a game with romantic themes that's actually pretty charming. I don't know enough about Lunar to contribute more to the topic but thanks, everyone, for the welcome.

Shiva Indis and Alunissage, what inspired your names?
Last edited by OO. on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End of Eternity.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

OO. wrote:
Dark_Fairy wrote:Actually, I admit I used to "play" Lunar with one of my nephews. I didn't think there was anyone else out there that did that besides me. o_o
I remember playing all kinds of dorky games like that years ago. We're probably not alone, even though so far we are. :D
Dark_Fairy wrote:I got him into the series at a young age, so we more or less role played Lunar every time I had to baby sit my nephews, lol. Those were good times. :3

Awe, nice. Was his favorite character always Alex? Did he watch you play or do it on his own?
I'm sure that there's got to be more out there too....hopefully. XD

Yup. Alex has always been his favorite character. When we would play Lunar, he was always Alex. And actually, he's played through all versions of Silver Star except for the Sega CD version. He watched me played the Sega CD version and Lunar 2.

Oh, and off topic, but I haven't been able to use any polls on the forums for a while now. It's been saying "The submitted form is invalid. Try submitting again." Is anyone else having this problem?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Howdy! Welcome to the board.

Now that I think of it, Lunar was my first major RPG that I didn't first find vicariously through someone else. Before that, I played a lot of the SNES RPGs (like Earthbound) through a friend of mine, saw Legend of Legaia at another friend's house, and heard about the Phantasy Star games through online friends. For Lunar, I just had a few magazine ads and a Christmas list come true.
Oh, and off topic, but I haven't been able to use any polls on the forums for a while now. It's been saying "The submitted form is invalid. Try submitting again." Is anyone else having this problem?
I can make polls fine, and seemingly OO. can. Have you tried making them on the polls board? Could you take a screenshot of what you put in? Are others having issues?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Sonic# wrote:
I can make polls fine, and seemingly OO. can. Have you tried making them on the polls board? Could you take a screenshot of what you put in? Are others having issues?
Sorry, I meant that I can't answer any polls. I should have been more clear on what I meant. No matter what answer I try, it gives me that message. It's not just this poll either, but all the ones I've tried to answer do that.

Here's what it's shows me when I try to answer something: http://i53.tinypic.com/nrmae.png

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

OO. wrote:Shiva Indis and Alunissage, what inspired your names?
Mine's derived from from Final Fantasy 2, as we called it back then (back when Ramuh was renamed to Indra). So ice chick instead of Nataraja.
Dark_Fairy wrote:Sorry, I meant that I can't answer any polls. I should have been more clear on what I meant. No matter what answer I try, it gives me that message. It's not just this poll either, but all the ones I've tried to answer do that.
I know what you're talking about - I wanted to respond to this poll, but I got an error, and now it appears to be closed. There seems to be a forum-wide problem since none of the polls are working.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

OO. wrote:You know, I completely missed EB by going from TSS to EBC. I always thought more content was added but now I'm wondering what I missed. I remember thinking Zophar was the physical embodiment of mankind's negativity and an eternal shadow for them. Not sure if that was part of the story or if I made it up to explain his presence on Lunar.
His last dialogue rather leads to that reading, since he says he can never truly be defeated; however, this is only in the translation, not the original Japanese (he just yells in frustration there). Series scenario writer Kei Shigema also said, of the SegaCD games, "The "evil thoughts of humans" is basically what Zophar is, isn't he?", but in the same document that "Althena, Lucia, and Zophar are all probably the same type of entity." So, there's probably plenty in the game you played to support that reading but it's not really clear even from the source what the nature of Zophar truly is.

We haven't yet compiled a good list of changes from the SegaCD games to the Saturn/PlayStation remakes for the site. While the game wasn't changed nearly as much overall as TSS was as far as story outline and character development, there are some interesting secondary differences. While certainly things were added to the remake, a few things were actually removed, while others were changed with little net difference. It's worth playing the SegaCD game to find out, especially if you like dungeons.
OO. wrote:Shiva Indis and Alunissage, what inspired your names?
Mine's a French word meaning "lunar landing", the noun form of alunir, "to land on the moon". I wanted something that alluded to the series without being too obvious.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I distinctly remember a play time with my younger brother in the backyard...
I was a "girl version of whatever Nall is". I jumped off the railing of our deck in order to fly. :3
I was about nine years old. I watched my older brother play SSSC from time to time and was hopelessly attached. He hadn't beaten the game yet. We didn't know Nall was a dragon, and we had no idea who Ruby was or that Eternal Blue existed. :P
I would make believe running around with Alex and the gang... performing magic. Roaming the woods pretending it was Burg. Singing in this bog area of our woods as if I were Luna. Most of the time I just inserted myself into the adventure and pretended to journey around Lunar (the backyard/woods) with the rest of the Lunar characters. It's silly to say, but they felt like family to me.

Good times! Anyway, to answer your question; I could have gone Broadway. :D
Welcome to the boards. It's nice to meet another fan who has been to Lunar before. :wink:
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

OO.
Saith Pirate

Post by OO. »

Sonic# wrote:Now that I think of it, Lunar was my first major RPG that I didn't first find vicariously through someone else.
Funny now that I think about it, every game I've ever played has been because of someone else. Except Kingdom Hearts. It's also the only game I've ever achieved max level and 100% completion.
Shiva Indis wrote:Mine's derived from from Final Fantasy 2, as we called it back then (back when Ramuh was renamed to Indra). So ice chick instead of Nataraja.
Yeah I saw Shiva and was thinking something from the Hindu faith but never heard of an "Indis". When I couldn't find what it was, I had to ask. So as I understand this your name is essentially a tribute to Shiva/Ramuh? I didn't play FFII until it was FFIV on the GBA, do you remember what Ifrit was called? He was always my favorite.
Alunissage wrote:Kei Shigema also said "Althena, Lucia, and Zophar are all probably the same type of entity."
If they're all "the same type of entity" than, similar to Zophar being the embodiment of humanity's evil, the existence of Althena/Lucia could be explained as the manifestation of mankind's good or loving thoughts? Even if it isn't certain I like this idea.

I wasn't using my Sega CD at all so my heart didn't break when the system did, but because of our discussion I think I'll buy one soon to play EB, revisit Vay, and give Popful Mail a shot. Anyone know if there is a Shining Force for Sega CD?
Alunissage wrote:Mine's a French word meaning "lunar landing", the noun form of alunir, "to land on the moon". I wanted something that alluded to the series without being too obvious.
Ha, I have only two things to say to you: That's clever. I really like it.
OO. wrote:
Dark_Fairy wrote:I didn't think there was anyone else out there that did that besides me. o_o
We're probably not alone, even though so far we are. :D
LuNaRtIc wrote:I distinctly remember a play time with my younger brother in the backyard...
See that Dark Fairy? A third!
LuNaRtIc wrote:I was a "girl version of whatever Nall is". I jumped off the railing of our deck in order to fly. :3
I was about nine years old. I watched my older brother play SSSC from time to time and was hopelessly attached. He hadn't beaten the game yet. We didn't know Nall was a dragon, and we had no idea who Ruby was or that Eternal Blue existed.
I would make believe running around with Alex and the gang... performing magic. Roaming the woods pretending it was Burg. Singing in this bog area of our woods as if I were Luna. Most of the time I just inserted myself into the adventure and pretended to journey around Lunar (the backyard/woods) with the rest of the Lunar characters. It's silly to say, but they felt like family to me.
Our games sound similar.
I really looked up to my brother's friend, so whenever he was Dyne I was Alex. Whenever he was Alex I was Nall. A bumpy old stick was Althena's Sword and a giant piece of bark tied to my arm was the Red Dragon Shield. My brother was always Magic Emperor Ghaleon. He'd get clever and cast an illusion of himself onto us so we'd turn against each other, classic "You can't beat me!" older brother stuff. I even remember "flying", leaping from rocks and trees, holding to the end of my cape to glide like a flying squirrel. Several characters were played by my family, so like you I had this bond with the cast. To this day when I see Ghaleon I think of my brother. When I get nostalgic I always want to play my old copy of Lunar.

Wish we knew a singing Luna...although I'm sure "Magic Emperor Ghaleon" would have corrupted her into a Dark Althena if we had. :D

Thank you Sonic# (I'm curious about your name, too!) and LuNaRtIc for the welcome.
End of Eternity.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

By the time I came across Lunar, I was a little past the point of playing pretend with friends, but I think it's really cool you still got to do that.
Sonic# (I'm curious about your name, too!)
My SN on AIM was (and still is, oh god consistency!) Sonic565242. I was a Sonic the Hedgehog fan. When I first made the name, there were tons of names that had numbers behind them, and I was about 14 anyway. Then other people changed their names to be more original. I nearly changed my name to "Mecha Tails," but I never did, because I liked the idea of someone from several years ago potentially still being able to IM me today.

But I did recognize that it was unwieldy. So when signing for web boards, I put "Sonic#" if I could, partly to stand for the numbers, and partly because having a symbol in my name amuses me.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

OO.
Saith Pirate

Post by OO. »

Sonic# wrote:By the time I came across Lunar, I was a little past the point of playing pretend with friends, but I think it's really cool you still got to do that.
Thanks, I'm grateful for those days. I still have a strong bond with most of those same people today.

Don't suppose you're still a Sonic fan? It's been getting harder to keep faith in the little guy but I hear Sonic 4 and Colors are fantastic. I remember reading a statement from Sega announcing they want to improve the quality of their Sonic games. Which is good, considering the most fun I've had playing as the blue blur recently was in Smash Bros. Brawl.

I think your instincts were right to go with Sonic# over MechaTails as a sort of signature name (I need one of those)...although Knuckles# would have a nice ring to it too.
End of Eternity.