Hi!

New users, post your introduction to the forums here here!
Posters leaving for or returning after an extended period of time, feel free to post here as well!
Evil_Goddess
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Hi!

Post by Evil_Goddess »

Greetings everyone, I have been here as a visitor already a few times and now finally decided to join this community :)

I am a big fan of the Lunar games since the first game Luna The Silver Star on the Mega CD (actually this game was for me the main reason to import a Sega CD from the states) and except for Dragon Song I beat them all at least ones, but most of them a few times by now.
My favorite game of the series is Lunar Eternal Blue on the Mega CD, the great music and the well designed characters still make me get tears into my eyes when I play the game these days...
I didn't like the Saturn/PSX remake so much, it didn't seem to me like an improved game what you expect, somehow I felt the graphics looked less well and also the dungeons were less challenging.

Otherwise about myself, I come from Europe, am in the early 30s now and my native language is not English like the native speakers might have already noticed but I hope I played enough English RPGs to communicate with others here ;-)

Oh and I would like to take this chance to thank Kizyr for the Magical School walkthrough, it helped me a lot when I played the game years ago (7 or 8?) on my GG :D

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Hi!

Post by Kizyr »

Greetings! Great to see you here.
Evil_Goddess wrote:Oh and I would like to take this chance to thank Kizyr for the Magical School walkthrough, it helped me a lot when I played the game years ago (7 or 8?) on my GG
Glad you found it useful! However, you might want to check it out again, or at least the Translation Notes section. I revised the guide a couple of years ago, and found a lot of errors in translation that I made the first time through--so, there's a part of that Translation Notes section that covers the major things that I got wrong (e.g., it's the Blue Dragon that shows up; the Star Dragon has nothing to do with the game).

Also, Walking School is the Game Gear version (which I assume you were talking about). I did finish a walkthrough about a year ago for Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, which is quite different (MS Guide).
Evil_Goddess wrote:Otherwise about myself, I come from Europe, am in the early 30s now and my native language is not English like the native speakers might have already noticed but I hope I played enough English RPGs to communicate with others here
Actually, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. In my experience, folks who speak English as a second language and apologize for being difficult to understand, on average, speak a lot better English than folks who are native speakers and don't apologize for anything. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Welcome to the board!

I had an idea you weren't from North America, but only because you called it the "Mega CD." ;) Otherwise your English is as clear, if not clearer, than anyone here, as Kizyr pointed out.

I can think of few more enjoyable ways to learn English than playing RPGs. I wish I could do that for Latin or Anglo-Saxon. (Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea, making a mod for a text heavy game to do that. I'll have to think about it...)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Welcome to the forums! What part of Europe are you from?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Welcome! *gives a cookie*

You speak English fairly well. I couldn't even notice and wouldn't have until you said that English wasn't your native language.

Evil_Goddess
Meribian Merchant

Post by Evil_Goddess »

Thanks a lot for the very warm welcome and sorry for my little late reply but I had some issues with my Internet connection :)
Kizyr wrote:Greetings! Great to see you here.
Glad you found it useful! However, you might want to check it out again, or at least the Translation Notes section. I revised the guide a couple of years ago, and found a lot of errors in translation that I made the first time through--so, there's a part of that Translation Notes section that covers the major things that I got wrong (e.g., it's the Blue Dragon that shows up; the Star Dragon has nothing to do with the game).
Thanks for letting me know and your hard work, I will check it out the next time I play the GG game, as long as there is no complete English patch out there for the game this is really great to have.
Kizyr wrote:Greetings! Great to see you here.
Also, Walking School is the Game Gear version (which I assume you were talking about). I did finish a walkthrough about a year ago for Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, which is quite different (MS Guide).
Yes, I was talking about the Game Gear game which I am really happy to call my own as I want to own all the original games which I prefer over the remakes and I think it has some of the most beautiful artworks of the series in the manual I ever saw.
I also own the Saturn remake and played it years ago but somehow it never did warm up to me and I am not sure if I will ever play it again but if I should I will keep your guide in mind, thanks again for your contribution :)
Sonic# wrote:Welcome to the board!
I can think of few more enjoyable ways to learn English than playing RPGs. I wish I could do that for Latin or Anglo-Saxon. (Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea, making a mod for a text heavy game to do that. I'll have to think about it...)
Oh yes, Latin was my second foreign language in school, later I used comic books to improve my Latin, do you know the comic series Asterix? Because Asterix takes place in the Roman Empire some stories for the series are also available in Latin translation :wink:
phyco126 wrote:Welcome to the forums! What part of Europe are you from?
Well, normally I am very careful about revealing too many personal information about myself and especially my location but I guess just the country can't hurt, so I am from Germany, a very poor country which never saw an official Mega-CD Lunar release :wink:

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ah! Guten tag! I used to live in Germany a long while ago, so my German is very horrid. I can read it and understand it better than I can speak it :lol: .

Evil_Goddess
Meribian Merchant

Post by Evil_Goddess »

phyco126 wrote:Ah! Guten tag! I used to live in Germany a long while ago, so my German is very horrid. I can read it and understand it better than I can speak it :lol: .
Interessant, in welcher Stadt hast Du in Deutschland gelebt und warum, hast Du dort gearbeitet oder studiert? :wink:

But I can guess that speaking is making problems after a while, I think it is the hardest part of learning a foreign language and I used to teach German for a while in another country and always people told me that German pronunciation was in their opinion the hardest they ever tried to learn :P

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Welcome.
Nice to see another European around :)
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Evil_Goddess wrote:But I can guess that speaking is making problems after a while, I think it is the hardest part of learning a foreign language and I used to teach German for a while in another country and always people told me that German pronunciation was in their opinion the hardest they ever tried to learn :P
I believe that. I was a music and linguistics major, and so German would have been a logical language for me to study... but I never did, somehow. My conducting teacher once really gave me a hard time for my awful pronunciation ("YOU should be better at this!"), but studying linguistics and even phonetics doesn't necessarily mean actually practicing saying the sounds you're analyzing. :P

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Sadly when it comes to language, phonetics are the only thing I AM good at. *sniff*

Welcome! ^_^
-Nobi

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Interessant, in welcher Stadt hast Du in Deutschland gelebt und warum, hast Du dort gearbeitet oder studiert?
I can translate about this much of that by reading: Interesting, in what city have you live in Germany _____ and why, have you ______ ______ _____ _____? ;-; Anyway, a quick trip to babelfish filled me in on the rest. So you can see I've got the basics down, the more 'advanced' words not so much.

To answer that question, I lived in Germany when I was a child. My dad and mother met while both were stationed there (military), and I was born in West Berlin. We moved back when I was about 5 or so as my dad then worked as a government contractor. We lived in Pfungstadt and I went to a private elementry school in Darmstadt called Darmstadt Elementry. We came back to the states in 1992 or 1993, can't remember which. So I was born and stayed there for about 8 months, and then returned for about 2 years. I miss it terribly, and I've thought about returning for a year or so.

Learning German was always difficult for me. In the school I went to there, it was mandatory to learn German, and boy it was the hardest thing I had ever done at that time. I then took it twice in High School, but never could go beyond the basic introductions class. What else I've learned since then has been pretty much visiting German's MSN site and reading the news, translating words I don't know and trying to memorize them.
...I used to teach German for a while in another country and always people told me that German pronunciation was in their opinion the hardest they ever tried to learn
Lol! I can't even pronounce or announciate my own native language, so doing it properly for another is pretty much out of the question. For instance, I pronounce welcome as 'wacome' and right as 'white' and idea as almost always 'ideal.' Eh. I've gotten worse too, not to mention I've started jumbling my words around. So instead of 'Good morning, how are you today?' it comes out as 'good morning, you good today?' or 'I'm good thank you, how about you?' becomes 'thank good, you about?' Bah.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

phyco126 wrote:
Interessant, in welcher Stadt hast Du in Deutschland gelebt und warum, hast Du dort gearbeitet oder studiert?
I can translate about this much of that by reading: Interesting, in what city have you live in Germany _____ and why, have you ______ ______ _____ _____? ;-; Anyway, a quick trip to babelfish filled me in on the rest. So you can see I've got the basics down, the more 'advanced' words not so much.
I think its something like: "Interesting, what city did you live in Germany and why; did you work or study there?".

Thats what around 3 years of German in school does >:]
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."