Refresher Course

New users, post your introduction to the forums here here!
Posters leaving for or returning after an extended period of time, feel free to post here as well!
chance
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Refresher Course

Post by chance »

Hello.

I've signed on to this forum in the hopes of regaining what memories I can of the Lunar games.

I've recently (in the past 5-7 years) played the PS versions (SSSC, EB), and I picked up the GBA and DS entries the other day (is the general consensus that Lunar Genesis is just awful?), but having found the original MegaCD versions (and Vay as well) for sale at my local game shop rekindled my interest in series in earnest. Now i've got to find a decent MegaCD, preferably for less than 7000.

Anyway, this forum is for saying hello, so there is my Hello (see above).

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

I was puzzled momentarily when you said 7000, but then I noticed your location and realized you must be talking in yen.

Any opinions on the gaiden (Magic School / Walking school) if you've played it?

chance
Burg Farmer

Post by chance »

You know, I saw it the other day, but am hesitant to pick it up.

To be honest all the Lunar games that aren't on the MCD have been a little disappointing (on account of the high bar, I imagine). I keep playing, but they never stop being let downs.

That said, if you think it's worth a go, I'll try it out. I bought a Saturn last month for about 10 USD (better?) so really the only barrier to entry would be the 5 USD sticker price.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

You don't have to specify everything in USD -- I spent a short period of time in Japan and I don't mind as long as I know that's the unit we're talking about. ;) (At present, I think a dollar ~= 120 yen, but generally I just use the 'yenny' heuristic, which is that a yen is roughly the value of a penny.) Anyway, I haven't played much of WS/MS, which is why I asking... but at 600 yen (or so) I don't think it's that big a loss if you don't like it. I'm bothered more by a bad game I spent $40-$60 on than one that cost me a few bucks; but maybe that's just me.

On the topic of newer games, what in particular did you dislike or miss -- if you know?. (This is a question I've asked a number of people; I have this nagging thought sometimes that if 'Lunar 3' was ever released, it'd be very difficult to meet expectations.)

Kazie Solo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Kazie Solo »

Hey there! I'm Kazie, and welcome to the boards! :D

And I'm ecstatic that you're from Japan. :D
<font color=pink>Beware of Phyco the Bunny Master, Lunartic the metal-rolling-pin-wielding Diva Sweetheart, and Kazie the White Bunny. We are going to take over... er, save the world!

...yes, we're accepting friends. ^_^</font>

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, very slowly this place is becoming even more international than before. Huzzah!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Refresher Course

Post by Kizyr »

chance wrote:Hello.

I've signed on to this forum in the hopes of regaining what memories I can of the Lunar games.

I've recently (in the past 5-7 years) played the PS versions (SSSC, EB), and I picked up the GBA and DS entries the other day (is the general consensus that Lunar Genesis is just awful?), but having found the original MegaCD versions (and Vay as well) for sale at my local game shop rekindled my interest in series in earnest. Now i've got to find a decent MegaCD, preferably for less than 7000.

Anyway, this forum is for saying hello, so there is my Hello (see above).
Welcome to the forums!

To answer another question... Walking School is a pretty fun game, especially for a handheld. It's also not that irritating to play through (although by comparison to today's standards, graphics and movement might seem outdated and slow, but I still enjoyed it).

Magic School really is worth playing. However, it has one major flaw: the encounter rate is horrible. We're talking random battles every 10 steps in any given dungeon. But, besides this, it has an enjoyable storyline (especially for a side-story), it's very lighthearted, the individual battles are interesting since they all require magic-usage, and, overall, it's pretty fun. But, that random encounter rate brings everything down. I would play through the dungeons while I had to do some studying.

Even then, I think it's worth picking up. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

If you use an emulator to play it, could you find a means of hacking the encounter rate down?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

If he used an emulator to play it he'd have written a walkthrough for it by now.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Cool first Germany now Japan. i just got magic school off ebay only to find out i dont have a working saturn, is there no emulator that will play it.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Unless something's been released recently, there is no Saturn emulator that can play it. Though I haven't kept up with that in a long time, so mabe there's been headway on that in recent times.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:Unless something's been released recently, there is no Saturn emulator that can play it. Though I haven't kept up with that in a long time, so mabe there's been headway on that in recent times.
Well, there's no Saturn emulator that can play it tolerably. I think I've managed to get through the opening movie and title screen, but even then it's very choppy.

Simply put, there's no alternative better than the regular Saturn console that's out right now. Though if anyone comes across one, then I'm definitely interested. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I used to have one. I didn't own any RPGs for it, though. :(

I did have plenty of lightgun games and the orange lightgun, though!

chance
Burg Farmer

Post by chance »

DevNall wrote:what in particular did you dislike or miss
Well, I recall SS and EB both having fairly strategic battle systems, but not so much so that I would have considered them strategy games. When I played the PS versions, I was really disappointed by how much of that element seemed to have disappeared.

I did like the sound and visual improvements, of course, but the core of the GAME to me was the way it differed from other RPGs out at the time. When I picked up Legend, I was hoping they'd have used the SCD code, since that system is closer to the GBA level of tech, but instead I got the same kind of "This is the bones, but none of the meat" kind of feel...

That got me thinking that maybe I have just been imagining that the original releases were so good, which is why I bought them, and subsequently came here.

Other comments:

Exigence, if you'd like a Saturn, I know a place that sells old ones for between 15 and 40 USD (condition depending). If you want, I'd be happy to work something out with you.

Kazie, thanks for the welcome. Being in Japan isn't worth much celebrity, really, but if anyone needs any local information/assistance, please feel free to ask.

Kizyr, if the rate is tolerable, I'll give it a go. And yeah, if you really need a saturn, I'd be willing to help out.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Welcome to the boards, Chance. We're glad to have you! :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3