Have problematic neighbors?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Have problematic neighbors?

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I do, I do! :\

Oh man, I hope it's okay to post a rant here. I just feel completely awful. Ever since I moved to Buffalo there have been problems with the neighbors in my duplex. I have NO clue why the first set of neighbors didn't like us. Move in day she was all smiles and really nice. Then what appeared to be out of the blue whenever we'd wave and say hi she'd either ignore us or glare at us (us, being me and my fiance). I can't think of a single thing I'd said or done. I never found out either because she moved a few weeks ago... only to have her best friend move in.

Again, I thought this new neighbor was really nice, she came over and introduced herself and I thought all was just fine. Then one day right in front of my mom she comes out and starts going on about how the lawn needs to be mowed and how she's SUCH good friends with the landlord and how she works full-time and has a bad back. Still, I didn't really think anything of it, I was like okay, we'll mow the grass no biggie. However, my mom really thought the lady was being a major "B" and said that it sounded more like she was threatening me to mow or she'd go to her friend the landlord. Still, I gave the neighbor the benefit of the doubt.

A couple weeks later she approaches my fiance and says that the grass STILL hasn't been mowed and that we should move our garbage from the garage at the back of the house to the front because we have a rat problem (which was confirmed as I was scared out of my mind one evening when one scurried from the garbage into the bushes). So, we made sure to keep any garbage in our place that wouldn't fit into the large trashcan. Well the next trash week she left a HUGE (and I'm not exaggerating) pile of garbage piled up against the garage. So it sat there for like two weeks.

The landlord came over to help repair our water/gas heater ... only to find out that the pilot light had been turned off and somehow the heat to our dryer had been turned off as well. At this point of course I was really starting to get irked. I mean, there are smaller things that happen to which I just try to ignore such as her kids being left home all day long apparently by themselves, her dog constantly barks, when the dog is taken outside to be relieved they don't clean up after it. She even had a pile of shoes in the hall which at first was just a couple and that was fine but I tripped over them coming up the basement stairs so the next day I finally broke down and asked her to please take them out of the hall (There is a shared hallway in the back and front entrance of the duplex - and the back is mainly used due to the garage being in the back). I wasn't mean even though I was perturbed, I asked nicely and she seemed okay with it.

So, that about brings us to today. I went to a job interview so I was gone for a couple of hours and when I come back her daughter is sweeping all the crap from their side of the garage onto our side. At first I was fine with it...until I ran over something that cracked. I got out and looked under the car and sure enough there was some kind of shattered light... I'm not sure if it was a flash light or what. So I'm mad, I've just had enough so I walked angrily into the house and in an attempt to calm down I run up to talk to my fiance (waking him up), again pretty angry. He says he'll go talk to the neighbor but I say no, I will do it. I followed him out back and he was already talking to the neighbor and apparently she'd heard my angry explanation to him and came out to see what I'd been talking about. The shattered light was swept out from under my car, and I was pointing it out to Brian. The one unfortunate thing is that he misunderstood me, I didn't say her daughter swept it under the car but that's what he told the neighbor. I TRIED to explain to her that he misunderstood but the whole time she proceeded to yell at me. Saying she didn't appreciate me lying about her children. That she's 34 and going through a divorce and has two jobs and we're just college students that stay home and get to do what we want. She was also on the cell phone at the time and said something like "Dan you should probably come over" and hung up. Dan is our landlord, however, I told her that good I hope he DOES come over... which seemed to startle her (which I'll get back to later). She went on about how she isn't going to put up with our BS and I was like "Whoa! WHAT are you talking about?" Because not once did she EVER say anything to us OTHER than about the garbage and grass... and that's exactly what she brought up. That's it. Brian had long since mowed the grass and recently due to the stormy weather it grew back a little and she was angry.

Before I continue I also have to note the time when Brian went to mow the grass. That was when we found out that the backyard was filled with dog crap. He knocked on the neighbors door and her kids (home alone) answered and he said that once the dog droppings (and that's the word he used) had been cleaned up he'd mow the rest of the yard. So, Brian wound up calling the landlord to let him know since she'd been making such a big deal (and bringing it up whenever the landlord was over). So, she got her kids to do it.

The relevance of mentioning that is that today in her argument she said that her kids told her that Brian told them to clean up the dog's -Dragon Diamond-. She said "Don't ever cuss at my children again!" Meanwhile she's saying how F'in tired of the BS she is. Yeah, right in front of her kids. Not only that but Brian even her her call one of her kids a CS (which I'm not about to type out but I'm sure you get it).

And she kept bringing up how hard her life is she's 34 blah blah blah. I rolled my eyes and was like "Well I'm 24! So what!" I really felt like she was blaming us for her life being so hard or whatever. She also said the other night when I knocked to ask her to remove the shoes from the hall that she was really sick - like I purposefully tried to bother her while she was ill. How was I suppose to know?

I really think that for whatever reason the last neighbor didn't like us she said something to this one. This neighbor is apparently trying to have things her way and it really seems like she's trying to pressure us into moving so she can have the rest of the house. That's what the last neigbor did. She let her kids and her cats roam our side before we moved in, and in the basement.

I'm just about at my wits end! And to TOP that all off, when Brian talked to the landlord after the time she said she was good friends with him and this time when she was saying how "Dan" should come over the landlord laughed. One, the day he came over and mentioned the lawn mowing business was the first time he'd ever met her. And two, he wasn't on her cell phone while we were arguing either. So yeah, I really don't know why she hates us. I really never thought we were bad neighbors. I mean, if we're doing stuff that really bothers her why not just SAY something to us? The two times she did we did as she asked for pete's sake! I really feel like SHE'S the one that needs to grow up and lay in the bed she's made for herself. I almost wish I'd said that to her... but I'm not very good with confrontation... I'm rather surprised that I held up my side and didn't back down. Not that I'm proud of that by any means.

I'm just glad that she seems to have left for the day. I also feel a bit better knowing that the landlord isn't angry with us for calling him about it. I mean it seems so petty, but we really don't want her to lie to him and not have him hear our side as well.

Anyways, I think I feel a bit better getting that off my chest. Even if you feel I'm wrong for what I said that's kewl, I'm not gonna get angry at anyone for postin' what they think. I hope that I wasn't in the wrong here though. I also hope none of you have these kind of problems. I have no clue what to do... not really anything I can do I guess.

Well, the landlord was already going to come over to talk to her this afternoon, so hopefully things can be resolved in a less hot tempered way. I hope.

Anyhow, take care all :)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

If the landlord fails to resolve the dispute, consider contacting a lawyer.

Even the threat of 'that's nice, talk to my lawyer' can make annoying people sit down, shut up, and take notice. It's always helpful to be just that little bit of ruthless with people like that.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

What are the terms of your lease?

Given all that, you might be able to cite her for numerous violations of hers. The best approach to any situation is to exercise legal muscle, not physical or emotional muscle. Since in the end, law wins out. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

You've got a freeloading obnoxious -Borgan- for a neighbor. That's the problem. There are certain types that are freeloaders. My grandparents have rental houses to make some money on the sides, and it's just not worth it. They rarely get a renter who is a good tenant because people will trash a place, lie, do anything they can to get out of paying rent or keeping things fixed. It's ridiculous how some people are in regards to this sort of thing, and it sounds like you've got one of those types living next to you.

Honestly, it also sounds like your landlord already knows what kind of person she is. In fact, I'd be willing to bet money on it.

The biggest point though:

So, she got her kids to do it.

Nothing pisses me off more than this. It's one thing to get your kid to do chores for you, it's another to have your kids do things just because you're too lazy to do them yourself. I know a lot of people like this, including my mom. They can never do anything on their own, and force their kids to do everything for them. Something as simple as getting a refill of pop (I SAID POP ALL YOU SODA FREAKS!!!) on their own at McDonalds or getting out of the chair to turn the damn TV on or off. I bet money that lady is like that with her kids.
-G1

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Kizyr wrote:What are the terms of your lease?

Given all that, you might be able to cite her for numerous violations of hers. The best approach to any situation is to exercise legal muscle, not physical or emotional muscle. Since in the end, law wins out. KF

The lease pretty much states that the upkeep up the lawn and whatnot is divided equally between us. So, that's why when she first came to me and mentioned that the lawn needed to be mowed I was completely cool with it. I'd forgotten but that was my fault not hers. She said that she cleaned the shared hallway in the back and we were just reaping the rewards... which I don't really get since we don't have any of our belongings there. She has coats hanging up and her shoes. As for the rest, I think she's just being obnoxious to try and make us leave. The landlord knew her friend I'm certain of that much and he was even stiffed for her last month of rent. He's not exactly happy with the current tenant (from what Brian has told me) but she really hasn't done anything wrong as far as I know. What I find a little strange is that she lived in this building before... so maybe the landlord knew of her (maybe his wife dealt with her at that time) but he certainly wasn't friends like she was trying to lead us to believe. :\

I hadn't really thought about a lawyer, probably since I can't really afford one... I'm also hoping that things will just die down or at the very least wait to see what the landlord has to say once he speaks with her tonight. We told the landlord that we wanted to be involved in any discussions he had with her regarding us. I know she'll outright lie. I mean, she's already done it twice.

G1 wrote:...Honestly, it also sounds like your landlord already knows what kind of person she is. In fact, I'd be willing to bet money on it.

The biggest point though:

Quote: ‹ Select ›
So, she got her kids to do it.

Nothing pisses me off more than this...

Yeah, I think if the landlord didn't know before, he definitely knows now. I'd like to think that the landlord favors us especially since we've immediately contacted him when there was anything going wrong in the house whether it was a leaky faucet or the gas/heat not working. I even called him when I noticed the neighbors side of the basement was flooding due to a leaky broken hose on her washer. There didn't look to be any threat of it flooding our side, but I figured I wouldn't want to come down and find all my stuff ruined by water and I'd like to think that she'd be decent enough to do the same, but after today I'm not so sure.

I agree about her kids... I think she uses this back problem of hers to get out of doing stuff. She always brings that up when she mentions the lawn needing to be mowed. She said today she was about to mow the lawn ... and then she didn't so I'm not sure why she brought it up. I guess she was thinking she might've guilted us into it or something. I dunno. I do know she's not very nice to her kids. I was washing my face in the bathroom the other day when I heard her telling her little girl to shut up... the girl wasn't being loud or obnoxious from what I could tell but she kept telling her that if she didn't stop bothering her that she was going to slap her. I was pretty shocked. I guess maybe I shouldn't have been... but she was outside telling her child this to boot! I mean, I think the little girl just wanted some attention from her... afterall, it really does appear that she leaves the brother and sister alone all day. But I think she may have been busy on the phone on the "shared deck" out back.

On a much lighter note... Ghal, I like pop too ^_^y

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

You don't have to be rich to contact a lawyer on the phone. It only starts costing money when you go into the office. Point to remember, that one.

But like Kiz says, Legal Muscle will win this war.

Edit:And if you're really clever, get the Lawyer's business card without actually hiring him. You might just frighten your neighbor...and fear is a powerful ally indeed.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Some people just suck. By accepting that as law, I can't tell you how much easier my life has gotten. When running into people like those neighbors, or like the people who rented out the place G1 was talking about, I think, "hey they just suck."

But really, I think Kiz had the best solution here. Before you try threatening them with legal action though, you might want to try an unexpected act of kindness first. After all, you ARE going to be living there together, and if inviting the lawn care freaks over for dinner one night can ease the tension, get you all to relax and confront these problems in a comfortable environment, things might get resolved. What have you got to lose? Worst case scenario you've got a good story to tell. Anyway, good luck with your situation.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It seems she's already tried the unexpected act of kindness four or five times though. Just doing the lawn all the time should account for that.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, the sad thing is that some people just see that as a sign of weakness and a sign that one can be taken advantage of. Bullies tend to only respect strength.

Regarding the language thing, it sounds like her kids used the language they'd grown up with to misquote Brian and gave her an excuse, as she thought, to take the high ground. Though it sounds more like a possession thing for her -- they're her kids, so a (perceived) insult to them is one to her.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I still don't see the act of kindness going very far. You've already been patient; you're entitled to take things a step further.

Then again, I have no remorse. I figure justice is blind and emotionless. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, you would be surprised how often someone will say "I'm good friends with so-and-so" to try to force their hand on to you (their version of "talk to my lawyer.) I've known alot of people who would just shake the hands of a movie star, and then blab about "How they are best friends" and crap.

I don't think your out of line with what you and your fiancee did. I've had neighbor issues myself, but nothing that bad.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Heh heh. I can see it now. Your neighbor does something annoying. You just flash the Laywer card at her.

"Have a chat with my friend, here. And if it doesn't go well, I'll see you in court."

Think of it as your 'Fang of Justice', as one Mystere would call it... :twisted:

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Angelalex242 wrote:Heh heh. I can see it now. Your neighbor does something annoying. You just flash the Laywer card at her.

"Have a chat with my friend, here. And if it doesn't go well, I'll see you in court."

Think of it as your 'Fang of Justice', as one Mystere would call it... :twisted:

lol, yeah, but I can just see her calling my bluff though. The landlord once told Brian she was a "driven" lady. We weren't exactly sure what he meant by that... maybe he was just calling her a B in a nice way? However, I won't rule out really speaking to the lawyer suggestion.

Unfortunately, the landlord (as far as we know) didn't stop by last evening, but today there's been a lot of slamming around and yelling next door so maybe he called instead.

My fiance brought a really funny image to my mind over breakfest today that when she's mowing the lawn he ought to go out on the shared deck and drink some lemonade and sun himself. lol of course he wouldn't do that, but I found the thought of it pretty funny.

Something else the landlord had mentioned, the only people responsible for the garbage is us. He said if we didn't want to take it out then that's our perrogative, it's not the neighbors or even his problem. Also, that how we deal with it is fine by him and not to listen to the neighbor. So, if I hear anymore crap from her I'll just let her that and that she can stop straining her back out of the kindness of her heart 9_9

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for replying. I'm really glad that I'm not overreacting about this. As I'm sure you could tell I was pretty frustrated. I think a nights rest and a talk with my best friend really helped too.

Take care!

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I live in a college dorm for 2/3 of the year, of course I have problematic neighbors :P
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"