World Cup 2014 Thread

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: World Cup 2014 Thread

Post by Sonic# »

I followed the Brazil-Germany match via recap at work, and I recall the score raising each time I came back to it for the first half hour or so. It was wild.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm still in shock. I got so many condolences texts and phone calls during and after the game that you would think someone died. It's honestly shocking. 7-1. At home. I mean, this was the worst Brazilian team in a long time, but it's still Brazil. Brazil doesn't break records by losing. It's the most decorated country in the world at this sport. To go out like that... What worries me more though is the potential for either Argentina to win the entire thing or Argentina to beat Brazil in the 3rd place game. Not because I want Brazil to win, but for fear of riots. From what I've gathered, there haven't been a mass of riots since yesterday like some expected, but if Argentina put a thumping on Brazil, or heaven forbid, win the entire thing... who knows.

But man, 7-1. 4 goals in a matter of 6 minutes. That's... shocking. The acres of space those Germans had... and they were ruthless with it. At 2-0 you could see it was over. But then the third, fourth and fifth goals came... wow. I obviously wasn't alive back in 1950 for the loss at the Maracana for the first Brazil-hosted World Cup. But this has got to be even worse than that.
-G1

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

I actually have something to say in this subject! Who would have thought??
:lol:

It seems that over 20 years ago, a random debug mode text tester in Zelda A Link to the Past predicted Brazil's game.

It would have been great if it reached 7, but that's still accurate, and even a bit funny!

As for the riots, yeah, that is really scary. There hasn't been a lot of them though? That's relieving. But look, I'm kinda glad Brazil lost, and so bad too. I don't dislike Brazil or anything, but it wasn't healthy AT ALL for the country to hold this event in the first place. So much money and work put into it, when the country was in great need of it for better, productive things. Imagine they had won? Would THAT have improved the country itself? (Honest question here, since I do not know.) I heard that even some Brazilians kinda hoped their country would lose too, so that the money spent and work would not be justified. I hope they learn!

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Good game for the final IMO. Would have liked to see more goals, but it was a lot of good action. Mario Götze's finish was sublime.

I kinda feel for Messi though. He really is one of the best ever, but I don't know if he'll ever win the ultimate prize. Thing is, he's unlike a lot of the top players. He stays on his feet. You don't see him dive. And I think it's because he's so quick with his feet that he can score more goals but continuing his runs and finishing than going to ground like so many do.

That said, I agree with what Maradona said in that he didn't deserve the Golden Ball. Best player in the world, yes. But at the tournament, there were a few that stood out more than him.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:Good game for the final IMO. Would have liked to see more goals, but it was a lot of good action. Mario Götze's finish was sublime.
Oh man... I was crushed, but I have to admit that that was a great goal. And to be honest, I'd rather go out on a 1-0 loss than have it go into another goalless draw into penalties. (The first soccer match I ever watched was the 1994 WC Italy-Brazil final -- which was a scoreless draw into penalties -- and the constant action with zero points being scored actually turned me completely off of the game for years. Since then, I've always hated goalless draws...)
GhaleonOne wrote:I kinda feel for Messi though. He really is one of the best ever, but I don't know if he'll ever win the ultimate prize. Thing is, he's unlike a lot of the top players. He stays on his feet. You don't see him dive. And I think it's because he's so quick with his feet that he can score more goals but continuing his runs and finishing than going to ground like so many do.
Agreed... I still like Messi for plenty of reasons on and off the field. One of my friends on FB was pointing out that, while the strategy for most other teams that face Argentina is basically to mass all their players on Messi once he gets possession (Germany was doing the same thing -- they'd often have 3 guys at least marking him), he never whines about how it's unfair -- he just plays. I've no opinion either way re: the Golden Ball, though... I never really follow sports-related awards since they always seemed a little arbitrarily-decided to me...

Anyway, that caps off another World Cup. I'll probably in passing follow some of the national teams and players, but I doubt that I'll really get into it that much until the qualifiers for 2018 start up. Dunno how I feel about Russia hosting it, but we'll see. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)