Journals and diaries

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Journals and diaries

Post by phyco126 »

Anyone keep one? I keep a journal (ok, I'll admit, I call it a "P-Diary") and have been since middle school. Unfortunately, I lost years 1998 through 2001 when my old computer was trashed by a landlord during an illegal eviction back in 2005. I was smart enough to have made a backup via printing the whole thing out (it was an old computer, monochrome monitor, 5 1/2" floppy disk drive that didn't work). Sadly, that was kept in a filing cabinet with other legal documents that, too, got tossed by the landlord.

I lost years 2001 to mid-2002 from a hard-drive failure. Now, I back it up on a regular basis via an external drive, and now and then via e-mail storage.

However, mid-2002 onward encompasses 68 pages that gives me a window into my past. I also keep a dream diary ("d-diary"), but lately I just put dreams in with my p-diary.

Even though its only been since 2002, its amazing to see just how much I have changed in those 9 years. More patience, calm, not as depressed. I had a lot of anger issues, I still do, but I'm able to manage them very well. I'm more open minded than I used to be, I'm not so quick to judge some things (such as my previous hatred of the wealthy). Its just interesting.

What about anyone else?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: Journals and diaries

Post by Werefrog »

You know I should start keeping a dream diary again. It's amazing how many more dreams you begin to remember once you start consciously trying to remember your dreams. I'll start it right here. Last night I had a dream that I was having a food fight at some store. There were a kiosk of mini tacos, and I picked them up, and yelled, "Take that! Mini-tacos!"

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I tried to have a diary a few times it never really worked out for me. Either i would forget to write and also a lot of the time i wouldn't have anything important or exciting to write. I'm not that much of a writer to begin with. Once in awhile i would write out my dreams. They are usually very weird or amusing and my friend and i would often tell each other our dreams, so i had a bunch of them saved up here and there on my computer, but I lost them awhile back. One day I might finally end up buying a book to write them down in.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I keep a journal. Actually I have kept a journal off and on since middle school, mostly off. This past year I started writing fairly frequently again. I enjoy writing about my dreams because they can be quite bizarre and occasionally informative. But I journal everything in the same book so it's kind of schizophrenic. I tried to journal on my comp or blog for a while but I seem to prefer writing in an old fashioned book. It's interesting to watch the changes in handwriting and all that.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Werefrog: Awesome.

Kaiya-Sky: Yeah, there are 6+ month gaps throughout my journal. I'm making an effort to keep up with it though.

Monde Luna: Yeah, I still have some school work from when I was in middle school. Interesting to look back and see how much smaller and neater my handwriting has gotten (as well as my spelling).

lnrSaxon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lnrSaxon »

I write as much as i can, and I keep a blog. :) it makes me happy.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

phyco126 wrote:Werefrog: Awesome.

Kaiya-Sky: Yeah, there are 6+ month gaps throughout my journal. I'm making an effort to keep up with it though.

Monde Luna: Yeah, I still have some school work from when I was in middle school. Interesting to look back and see how much smaller and neater my handwriting has gotten (as well as my spelling).
I think my spelling has gotten worse over the years. After all when we were kids we didn't have spell check. :oops:

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I have my moments with spelling. Sometimes I struggle with simple words that I never had a problem with before. However, I tend to not use spell checker unless I just can't figure it out. Often I'll see that little squiggly line and I'll attempt to correct the word myself.

InrSaxon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU! Post more :) XD

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I'm an extremely nostalgic person, so I have several journals that I've kept over the years. (Both online as well as offline.)
I find that I usually start a new one whenever I have some kind of positive shift in my life, or after having reached a new level of maturity. (That being said, I think I have about five different ones that cover my angsty teen years. xDD)
My past is very important to me, and I cherish my memories. So having a personal journal to look back on is a treasure.
phyco126 wrote:Even though its only been since 2002, its amazing to see just how much I have changed in those 9 years.
I can completely relate. It's interesting to read through old journals and recognize how much I've grown. :3 It's pretty amazing, considering I've had some nasty demons in my life. I'm sure the same can be said for most people. :)
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

I had a deployment journal but I have no idea where it went to. Kept stuff in there from things that happened every week. Wrote it in it about twice a week too. It was full of a lot of stuff. I should try to find it.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

LuNaRtIc wrote:I'm an extremely nostalgic person, so I have several journals that I've kept over the years. (Both online as well as offline.)
I find that I usually start a new one whenever I have some kind of positive shift in my life, or after having reached a new level of maturity. (That being said, I think I have about five different ones that cover my angsty teen years. xDD)
My past is very important to me, and I cherish my memories. So having a personal journal to look back on is a treasure.
phyco126 wrote:Even though its only been since 2002, its amazing to see just how much I have changed in those 9 years.
I can completely relate. It's interesting to read through old journals and recognize how much I've grown. :3 It's pretty amazing, considering I've had some nasty demons in my life. I'm sure the same can be said for most people. :)
Same here, sometimes if the weather is just right, or I smell a certain smell, I flash back to happier times in my childhood. Then I get into a super nostalgic mood. Sometimes it makes me depressed, but often times it makes me happy. People would occasionally ask why I have such a big smile on my face, then I'll tell them. Some understand, some don't. But I don't just right for nostalgic, I write for other reasons to. A history to look back on, an account of my actions and insight into how I felt. Plus, its a very good outlet. Once I write, I feel better (usually) or it helps me work out my emotions. Wouldn't be the first time I would write about how strongly I felt about something, only to realize I was wrong and why.

Of course, as much as I have changed, I still have a long ways to go.
Ardent Fox wrote:I had a deployment journal but I have no idea where it went to. Kept stuff in there from things that happened every week. Wrote it in it about twice a week too. It was full of a lot of stuff. I should try to find it.
You totally should.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I keep a live journal. I used to do an actual hard copy of my feelings but then I lost it. Like I still haven't found it to this day. I think someone stole it. : / (I took it to school and wrote in it throughout the day so I didn't forget things)
So now I pretty much post all my feelings online. My LJ has posts from 2003 in but I skip form then to like 2005 or 2006?

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I used to have (or still have, if the account is still there) a livejournal. I remember when that was the social networking fad of the day, haha. I haven't posted anything in there in a long while. About a year or two ago, I went through and copied and pasted all those LJ entries into my p-diary. So aside from some several month gaps, there is a pretty good consistency of entries.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

LOL. None of my friends use LJ and it's been that way since 03. XD I don't even think any of my friends blog.
Either way I always make my new years resolution to actually start it up and keep up with it everyday like I used to but it keeps slipping my mind.
Maybe I'll try a new blog site out. Like wordpress? I think that's one.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08

AlexofBurg
Lostest Boy

Post by AlexofBurg »

I don't keep one as of right now. I used to keep a dream journal of sorts but I haven't been dreaming much lately or haven't remembered them at least. I'd like to keep a diary though; it does actually help with emotions and whatnot.

lodestar
Meryod Yokel

Post by lodestar »

I use the Day One app on my phone to keep a journal. Don't always stay up to date though. It's fun going back and reading old entries.

edit: sorry for reviving a two year old thread. :oops:

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

My diary is at nearly 73,000 words - or the size of a small novel. Of course my wife beats me, she is on volume 53ish of her journals. She had writes in hers - so we have two book shelves over flowing with her journals. She writes in them far more than I write in mine.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Multiple people here keep a dream diary and DON'T use it for lucid dreaming?

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I have a personal blog on livejournal that I try to update but I forget... I also don't keep any hard copies of my life. I used to in my middle school days until I lost it. To this day I still have no idea what the heck happened to it. .___.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08