Fantastic week...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Pisces
Threadkiller
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Fantastic week...

Post by Pisces »

Here is the rundown...

MONDAY:

They've started garnishing my wages, so all I take home now every paycheck (which is semi-monthly) is approx. $530, about $1060 a month. Now, this may seem like plenty, but please bear in mind that my monthly expenses include $150 for phone, $200 for gas (I commute a lot), $90 for car insurance, $40 for consolidated student loans, $130 for the computer I have on credit agreement, as well as the fact that I'm currently advancing my paycheck (through my bank) by approx $500 each time which incurs a $50 fee and I have to whittle it down by $100 or so if I want to get ahead again. This in total per month is about $860 in expenses, out of that $1060. This leaves me $200 a month for personal use...OR...for use on my several debts I'm still paying off. Between the two factors, this is not much money per month.

So, I get my paycheck and most of it is already spent because A) my car insurance has run out and B) my phone is about to get shut off.

I'm driving home when I notice my Lumina refuses to auto-shift above the first gear. I cannot drive more than 30 mph without racing the engine up really, really high. My car starts to overheat because it's running too high, and my coolant was getting low anyway.

I pull over, let it cool off, and I notice the coolant is low, but also the transmission fluid. I have pulled off at a gas station, so I decide to try having dinner at the Subway there and letting my car cool off then trying to add coolant and transmission fluid to see if this will ease the problem at all.

It does not. I try driving further, and alhough my car has not overheated again yet, it is still running really high. I decide to pull over and contact my free towing service through my phone company. They come and take me and my car back home, which is out in the country. Unfortunately, it was getting late and I had no other way home that night. The tow actually cost me $40, since the service only covers $100, and it was about a 30 miles tow.

TUESDAY:

I take the day off work to figure out my car. However, the only way for me to get around is my mother, who has two vehicles, but one of them is uninsured. She needs to work later that afternoon, and she tends to overreact and is impatient in getting things done. I want to have my car checked out because I'm not 100% convinced that the transmission truly is going out (due to factors I won't go into, it would take too long).

My mom, instead, is gun-ho about me going to the used dealership we got the Lumina at and getting a different car. I was planning on doing this eventually, but due to the above mentioned financial circumstances, now is NOT the opportune time for this.

She drives me to my work Credit Union to try and secure a short-term loan of about $1000 for the down payment. They say "No problem!" but then ask me if I want to finance through them. I tell them I'll just like I did last time - finance through the dealership, which worked out well with the Lumina.

We go to the dealership, and they have this wonderful car there. It is a '98 Ford Taurus SE Sedan...Now, it does have over 171,000 miles on it -- however, ironically that is the LEAST amount of miles I've EVER had on a car I've owned, and they all lasted a long time, most of them well upwards of 200,000...one lasted 300,000 even...

Anyway, it's a lot of miles, but the car is in mint condition, the motor looks fine and we test drive it, and it drives better than anything I've ever driven. The dealership then suggests that I do go back and finance rather through my Credit Union instead of them, to save some money. I leave a message for Lisa, the lady who has always looked out for my best interests at my Credit Union.

My mom wants to push things further. She wants to get me something to drive that very day. So she tends to confuse the conversation by talking in circles and adding generalities and making presumptions. So both she and the dealer try to convince me to go ahead and switch over my insurance and give them a $500 deposit check to hold onto (which they will return once the Credit Union's check is received), since the Credit Union probably won't get me the money until the next day. I switch over the insurance, which turns out to be a real pain - I had to pay the remaining amount from when it ran out....AND with this new policy they tell me that I have to have full coverage, not just liability.

This bumps my insurance payment up to $170 PER MONTH.

But I agree. I drive the car home that afternoon.

Later, I get a phone call from Lisa at the Credit Union asking me the details about the car. I tell her everything, and she checks and double-checks and cross-references everything in the NADA handbook, the official ones credit unions/banks/etc use...

And she discovers that the dealership is asking WAY too much for this vehicle. They want $2995. Whereas RETAIL price for this car, given the mileage, should be no more than $2500. And this is retail price - you DO NOT PAY retail price for a used car. She calculates the fair market value, which should be somewhere in the range of $1500-$1800.

She could not even give me the loan for the car even if I didn't care I was being ripped off - it's way over the range for them, since it's priced way too high.

WEDNESDAY (TODAY):

I go to the lot early in the morning and explain everything to the dealer and show him all the print-outs the Credit Union showed me and explain to him they can't finance me not because of MY credit...but rather because they have the car way overpriced.

He doesn't agree. He won't budge. He thinks the Credit Union is being ridiculous. Despite the fact that I've shown him all the details.

I really do like the car and ask him about financing it through THEM again instead. He gives me the figures....

They want $500 a month.

I tell him there's no way I can afford that. I tell him I'll just have someone from my work pick me up, and he can give me back my $500 check, I'll cancel the insurance, and they can take the car back.

I tell him all this very politely and very apologetically.

And he instantly turns very cold and rude with me. He acts very put out and at one moment makes it a point to say "I'm not very happy right now." He doesn't yell, or anything, but his subtext is very clear towards me. He doesn't tell me, "Just take your check and get out," but he implies it very strongly. He tells me they're not officially open yet (this is 9:30 in the morning) and he has to go somewhere and tells me I have to wait for my ride outside.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be going back there again.

I spoke to Lisa at the Credit Union and she was upset that they tried taking advantage of me like that. She has gone back to recommending I get my Lumina LOOKED AT first, and she will gladly finance me the money to get it fixed. Or if it's too high, like the transmission, she knows a wonderful used lot that she trusts and they often sell to college students etc. who need reliable vehicles that are inexpensive. And she will finance me for a decent vehicle that I'm not getting overcharged for.

Phew...okay, I'm done.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Sounds like the Credit Union lady is a really awesome person. I think it sounds like things will work out well. And you should turn that car dealership into the city attorney and let them know how you were treated. After all these problems I've had with my apartment complex the past 3 months, I went to my city attorney, and when they heard how I was treated, they apparently did something, as the apartment complex had my deposit back to me (the main focus of my problem with this place) but instead of the 180 they wanted to give back (300 - 120 for cleaning expenses was a load of crap with as good of shape as we left it) we got a full 300 dollar check yesterday morning. It's not cool to complain about everything, but when you're treated really crappy like that, it's worth it to stand up and let the bigger bully know they need to cool it.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

The glory of being a used car salesman.

Part of the reason he may have upped the price is because your mother was insistent upon you getting a car right that instant. By then, the dealer knew that your need for a car was great, and so he figured he could raise the price without as much risk of you walking out on the deal. Better is to come off as very up-front about what you cannot afford from the beginning--i.e., "$3000 is a joke, I couldn't even afford that if I wanted the car" then pull it down to a $1500 figure.

But, eh, what's done is done, and it seems that worked out somewhat well. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Actually, today's going better. We think it is the transmission on my Lumina, but Certified Transmission is going to tow it in and analyze it free of charge.

Once they determine the problem, the Credit Union's going to help me out, either way. If it's something minor that can be repaired under $1000, they'll give me a short term loan to cover it. Otherwise, if it's too expensive, like replacing the transmission, they've already looked into a really good deal on a couple of vehicles for me, and they'll finance me for those.

And the nice thing is (since they're my company's credit union), the payments will come straight out of my paycheck, either way.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Hmm, I'll keep what Kizyr said in mind. I'm glad things are turning out for the better for you, Pisces.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

$500 a month? I have 2005 that I bought brand spanking new from the dealership, and my payments (even with 14% intrest) are no more than $283 a month. Insurance on the other hand... hehe... $240 a month for full coverage ;)

Also, having to have full coverage on as used vehicle, I'm not too aware of your state and local laws, but here, you only have to have full coverage on new vehicels.

And yeah, remember when I told you that I thought that the lumina was over priced? I still think that, and definately the same with the ford (and the fact that FORDS SUCK! *owns a really good Ford* )

There are far better deals here in Colorado Springs that you can find for the money.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

There are far better deals here in Colorado Springs that you can find for the money.

Actually, what are the car prices in CS vs. Denver? I've been talking with a person about a job around Castle Rock (between CS and Denver) that should pay pretty good. If they offer, and I've been told they're interested, I'm taking it. If so, I definately should get a good car as the mountains would likely end up wearing my current car down pretty quick.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I've never seen or been to a car dealership in Denver, but Castle rock has some dealerships there too (They say they are cheaper than here, but I don't know.) If you wait around long enough, you can get a very good deal on a car. Personally, if I make what you would make, I'd get the Saturn Sky :P Errr, anyway, you'll just have to look around.

A while ago, Phil Long (The biggest car dealership in CS) had a deal where you could get a basic Kia Rio for only $6000ish, but then again, you had to trade in a working car and the Rio was basic as basic could get (No Radio, AC, Powersteering... etc etc etc.) However, for only around $1700 more you could get all of those luxories added in (and despite being a cheap plastic car, it was worth it IMO.) However, the Ford Focus three door hatch back isn't all that bad, although I still don't like Fords.

Probably G1, a good place to look is the internet. Search for car dealerships, call around, that's the only thing I can think of.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Well, here's what ended up happening...

My transmission did need to be replaced. However, the total, including installation, sales tax, and a 50,000 mile warranty, was only $1422.16...this is not bad for a whole new transmission.

My credit union is going to finance me for it, using the title to the car to give me the loan.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Pisces wrote:Well, here's what ended up happening...

My transmission did need to be replaced. However, the total, including installation, sales tax, and a 50,000 mile warranty, was only $1422.16...this is not bad for a whole new transmission.

My credit union is going to finance me for it, using the title to the car to give me the loan.

That's about what my tranny cost me after my pop -Fatal Hopper- dropped the damn thing when I was at college :x
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

You know what you need Eric? A huge raise.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I was going to say a hug, but yes, a raise would work too.

At least the transmission didn't cost too much.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Wow Eric, it really does sound like you've been having a rough time. :? I hope things start looking up for you and if I could give you a big hug I would...and a big raise too! Yes, yes.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Here is the bright side:

Although I've had to constantly borrow from my work's credit union for problems like this, it has actually helped me a great deal. My credit was nearly ruined, and working with this credit union has helped me rebuild my credit. I have several good "points" on my report now because of all the loans I've paid off perfectly through them. Plus, the lady there has helped me and given me advice on my credit report and what to take care of, etc...