School Shooting in Omaha

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Pisces
Threadkiller
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

School Shooting in Omaha

Post by Pisces »

I don't know how many have seen this in the national news, yet, but this happened at my old highschool. The assistant principal who was shot and later died last night used to be one of my favorite English teachers, back in highschool. She was a very supporting and friendly person, and she really cared about the students. She would often chat with me about the plays I was acting in, and after she became an A.P. when I was a senior, there was this one incident where some teacher I barely knew said something inappropriate while yelling at me in the hall for something I didn't do - anyway, I was upset about it and went to Dr. Kaspar - she listened to me and she did something about it.

I'm going to a candlelight vigil tonight at the school. I spent last night chatting with a lot of deeply saddened and heartbroken old friends from school.

Here's the link...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... 04083.html
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: School Shooting in Omaha

Post by whitedragon_nall »

I hate to see stuff like this happen. Sorry to hear about your old teacher. It's always the good people that get hurt. Does anybody know the shooter?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Damn, man. As someone else who lost an assistant principal who was formerly an inspirational high school teacher for me in a stupid shooting... I'm really sorry. :/
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Ouch... I'm sorry to hear about that. :(
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

whitedragon nall - not completely sure if you meant if anyone knows who the shooter is or if anyone knew them personally....the shooter was one of the students, and he committed suicide shortly after shooter the two principals. so really bad tragedy, all around.

Also...I just found out that the Westboro Baptist Church is planning on picketing.... >_< Well, Omaha is organizing another "human wall" as we've done a few times in the past now. Basically, they're NOT counter-protestors - instead, bunches of people show up and line the block as a "wall" so that the family at the funeral doesn't have to see all the WBC picketers standing there.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

I meant did anyone know the shooter personally. Just curious if the shooter showed any signs of wanting to do this beforehand. In the link you posted, it mentions he was fun, outgoing, and liked to make jokes. He sounds like a nice, well-liked kid. Then, it mentions the Facebook posts.....was that everything though? How does someone change like that?

The Westboro Baptist Church really angers me. These people feel the need to show up and torment grieving families..... What a bunch of jerks.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

If I die, I'm leaving enough money in my will so that when Westboro comes and protests, my army of hired mercenaries will slaughter them mercilessly. And slowly too, if they can help it.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

maravida
Lann Fisherman

Post by maravida »

first of all, man, what a terrible tragedy. i find school shootings particularly unsettling. (i guess because i was in high school when columbine went down, and i come from a very small, sheltered community so the idea that we really arent even safe in our schools really disturbed me).

secondly, i feel like the WBC picketing the funeral is... madness. i am familiar with these people and what they do, but i couldnt, on my own, figure out why they were targeting this particular incedent. so i looked it up. i went on their official site (i wont print the URL as it is offensive in itself) and heres a quote: "WBC will picket the memorial of Millard South High School Vice Principal Vicki Kaspar to remind Omaha that her death is recompense for their treatment of the saints of God and raising their children for the devil."

seriously...what? i guess they have a "ministry" in Omaha and werent recieved well by the locals. so they view this young man's destructive rampage as proof that they are right and the citizens of Omaha must suffer? what a sad, sick way to view the world....

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Stroke of good news--

Although WB Church has been permitted to picket, the police dept has only given them permission to picket at a point 3 blocks away from the church - and this particular church is set up near such a hill and secluded area that the family won't even be able to see the picketers where they are, anyway.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

First, Eric, I'm really sorry for the loss. I don't know what to say and I don't think there's any way I could put it into words even if I did.
maravida wrote:seriously...what? i guess they have a "ministry" in Omaha and werent recieved well by the locals. so they view this young man's destructive rampage as proof that they are right and the citizens of Omaha must suffer? what a sad, sick way to view the world....
No no... WBC has about two-dozen members at most, and they bus around the country to get to places like this. They have no ministry, and they're not "well-received" anywhere. At all. They seem larger than they are solely because of press coverage they get. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, pretty much the only people in the Westboro Baptist Church are his family members that Fred Phelps kept in line by beating when they were children and emotionally abuses them as adults. There's a really great website about them on the Internet.

http://www.blank.org/addict/

It's really one of the most interesting/disturbing things I've ever read.

My condolences to everyone affected by this act of violence. It's really a shame that it has to be compounded by this act of hatred by the WBC

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

So sad. I wish that kid had been able to see how much life has to offer. My sympathies to those who have to deal with this on a personal level.

And my god, that story about the WBC is fascinating.
「まあいいけど。」

maravida
Lann Fisherman

Post by maravida »

Kizyr wrote:First, Eric, I'm really sorry for the loss. I don't know what to say and I don't think there's any way I could put it into words even if I did.
maravida wrote:seriously...what? i guess they have a "ministry" in Omaha and werent recieved well by the locals. so they view this young man's destructive rampage as proof that they are right and the citizens of Omaha must suffer? what a sad, sick way to view the world....
No no... WBC has about two-dozen members at most, and they bus around the country to get to places like this. They have no ministry, and they're not "well-received" anywhere. At all. They seem larger than they are solely because of press coverage they get. KF

whats good Kizyr? thanks for clarifying for me. i got my information from the WBC's site, and i misunderstood what they said anyway. (something about the WBC being in Omaha for years, and the corrupt police conspiring against them?) im still kinda just trying to wrap my head around how ridiculous these folks are... im glad their small in number and not well liked!

anyway, again, so sad. so many shootings lately...

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Went to the funeral today. Large church, and the place was packed - all rows, the balcony, extra chairs in the lobby...and in addition, the church is also a Catholic school, and in the gym just down the hall, it was packed full of students who showed up and watched the service via live feed on a screen.

Also, I passed by the block where supposedly WBC was going to be - didn't see them there. I don't know for certain, but I'm hoping the weather cancelled their plans.

chiiruchan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by chiiruchan »

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry to hear that!! :( It's really sad... I'm sure she is somewhere in peace though...

My principle from High School was diagnosed with brain cancer last year and commit suicide.... I guess it was better in some ways than dying how he was going to die... but it was still sad... though it has nothing to do with this... I was just relating to the situation a bit...