ARGH!

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Pisces
Threadkiller
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

ARGH!

Post by Pisces »

This is just ridiculous!

Okay, I've known for some time now that I would be receiving a writ of garnishment against my wages because of a debt I owe the University of Nebraska. I was expecting this. They were going to be deducting 1/4th of my paycheck.

What I WASN'T expecting was for them to send the writ of garnishment to any and all resources possible - my Wells Fargo checking account has now been frozen, and I still have an outstanding check I was waiting to clear.

I've contacted Wells Fargo's legal department, as well as the law office handling the garnishment, and my payroll department.

Basically I called them and said "Uh...you know, my payroll is RESPONDING to this, right? They're going to be giving you a fourth of my paycheck...and do you realize that the remainder of my check normally goes, direct deposit, into my Wells Fargo checking account, which you've also frozen?"

Bottom line, I have to cancel my direct deposit for now and just take a check and work with having cash until they get the paperwork sorted (which could take a LONG time) and release my checking account.

If I had sat around and done nothing about it, then basically not only would they be taking a fourth of my pay, but I wouldn't be able to GET TO the rest of my money, either, and they might have taken that as well.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Yeah... you have to love how the systems in our society work out sometimes... heh... I'm mad at our stupid condo board right now, they were supposed to fix our basement when it got flooded and it's been about 6 months now, next to nothing has happened. Just called them today and left a message. Someone is supposed to move in with me, and I need the basement space badly.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That's messed up. My dad had the same thing happen to him (he's got major debt problems). On top of that, instead of taking the 1/4th out they were supposed to take from his paycheck, they took 3/4ths on accident and royally screwed him. Surprisingly enough, it was also to a University that he owed money. Those debtors can be real jerks.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hehe, I'm just waiting for someone to try and garnish my wages. The problem is that I don't got wages to garnish. If anything, it'll be the hospital, since I owe them around 15K

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

15k!? Owch...

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Who dosn't love a good Bank story? :x

your story sent chills down my spine pisces.

My most recent bank nightmare happened 3 months ago. I had $450 in my account and had three debit transactions pending. My car payment of $300 dollars went through as usual that day but this time they double charged my account sending my account negative.

The bank then proceeded to give me an overdraft fee of $30. I told Ford of what happened and they said they would pay the overdraft fee and take back the double charge...

About 2 hours later my 3 pending transactions went through and I got hit with 3 more overdraft fees. So I said to myself, thats ok Wells Fargo will just reverse them... WRONG. They refused saying that somone had to be responsible for the fees. Then I told Ford and they said that it was my fault that I used my card after they double charged my account.

I put up a formal complaint to Ford and they said they would look into it but they couldn't reverse anything now until they reviewed the situation. So there was my account sitting there negative for the next 5 days. In the end I got the fees reversed but the way these companies deal with these problems.... :roll:

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That's why I never do direct withdrawals anymore. I've never had problems of those sizes, but I did have a few times where that happened with Bank of America (or they just plain screwed up). I finally got rid of them.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Odd, I've never had any problems with my Bank of America account.

I'm very meticulous about all my finances, though. I need to know where every dollar and sent goes; anything out of place gets me to call within minutes.

Quite frankly, when someone else screws up, you have to get them to realize they screwed up. That can take some... aggression. After that, things tend to go better, provided you follow up. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Okay, some better news...this isn't as bad as I initially thought...

The writ of garnishment received at Wells Fargo is effective only ONCE. In other words, I can still deposit into my account and that money is NOT frozen. My checking account is still active. They just took what I currently had in there, which, thank goodness, was only $87.

Also, I checked with the law firm and they said that once they've received back the response from my employer (any day now), they won't be trying any other accounts of mine.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Oh, the 15K isn't all that much when you look at all the other money I owe. And you guys think you have bank problems? I owe US bank an ungoddely amount of money. I used to be in the plus with that account, but when I lost my last job, the money went out pretty quickly. They also have this queer policy of charging like, 6 or 7 dollars a DAY that you DON'T bring you're account back up to positive, plus any other fees, like overdraft charges and stuff. So, I'm sure it's around 800, 900 dollars I owe, maybe more. Most, of course, come from the queer policy of daily charges.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."