Earthquakes

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Earthquakes

Post by Monde Luna »

I hate them! I haven't experienced an earthquake this bad since Northridge. Thankfully it was just a rolling earthquake. Did anyone else feel it?

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Re: Earthquakes

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

These big earthquakes are happening a LOT more frequently it seems. It's kinda scary, even for me, a guy who was born and raised in Southern California! :(
-Nobi

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Monde Luna wrote:I hate them! I haven't experienced an earthquake this bad since Northridge. Thankfully it was just a rolling earthquake. Did anyone else feel it?
I'll make your earth move Monde Luna ;)
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Sophia
Lostest Boy

Post by Sophia »

Earthquakes are a major reason why I haven't bothered to visit the hustlin' n bustlin' land of California yet. I'd probably have a heart attack if I ever experienced one.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

We had an earthquake here once. It was a freak once-in-a-lifetime sort of thing that didn't really cause any damage. Just enough to make everyone scratch their heads, shrug, and carry on with what they were doing.

You West Coastians amaze me. I don't know if I'd care to live in an area with frequent earthquakes. At least you can predict tornadoes to some degree.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Earthquakes strong enough to notice aren't that frequent. Seriously, I've lived practically on a faultline for most of the last 18 years and I can only think of two offhand that were enough to startle me, and one of those was because it woke me up from a nightmare.

On the other hand, of course, bad earthquakes are really really bad. But as far as any particular single spot is concerned, they happen very rarely, while hurricanes and blizzards and tornadoes are seasonal.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Jenner wrote:
Monde Luna wrote:I hate them! I haven't experienced an earthquake this bad since Northridge. Thankfully it was just a rolling earthquake. Did anyone else feel it?
I'll make your earth move Monde Luna ;)
Hey now you are already pregnant w/ Kiyzr's baby that's too much commotion for one month. :P

As for earthquakes I'd rather live in California and deal w/ an occasional earthquake than live somewhere like Florida and deal w/ Hurricanes every year. Snow, tornadoes, I can live w/o.

The worst part about this earthquake was that I was working. We were performing and we just kept on going the conductor didn't stop so we finished the finale and went on to act II after intermission. It was intense especially since I play underneath the stage, I was not to excited to back under. =o)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Speaking of working during an Earthquake... wonder how surgeons performing surgery have to adapt to keep from cutting a patient all to heck.

Personally, I would love to experience an Earthquake.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Um Phyco your not missing much. =o) All though my neighbor loves them and calls them rollercoasters.

My grandmother had enough heart and insight to think about all the poor prisoners who are trapped in their cells during an earthquake. They couldn't get out to save their lives, sad really.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

I have experienced Roller Coasters! :lol:
I lived in the Dominican Republic, they werent that strong but...
it was sooo strange to see a sofa that has 2 people on it, jumping!
Luckily nothing happened in my area, but there was a lot of damage on other cities...

Where I live now there was a flood instead, caused by a river overflow!! The mall got flooded =O

Sophia
Lostest Boy

Post by Sophia »

Monde Luna wrote:As for earthquakes I'd rather live in California and deal w/ an occasional earthquake than live somewhere like Florida and deal w/ Hurricanes every year. Snow, tornadoes, I can live w/o.
Floridian here. The last few years have been disturbingly tame as far as hurricanes go so it hasn't been too annoying to live here. But then there are years like 2004(?) where we got slammed by Charlie, Frances, Ivan and Gaston back to back to back to back. THAT was a fun year.

Luckily I live in the center of Florida so the hurricanes are slightly weakened when they violate me. I can't imagine being on the coastline when one hits...

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Sophia wrote:
Monde Luna wrote:As for earthquakes I'd rather live in California and deal w/ an occasional earthquake than live somewhere like Florida and deal w/ Hurricanes every year. Snow, tornadoes, I can live w/o.
Floridian here. The last few years have been disturbingly tame as far as hurricanes go so it hasn't been too annoying to live here. But then there are years like 2004(?) where we got slammed by Charlie, Frances, Ivan and Gaston back to back to back to back. THAT was a fun year.

Luckily I live in the center of Florida so the hurricanes are slightly weakened when they violate me. I can't imagine being on the coastline when one hits...
That's the thing about hurricanes, they can totally destroy everything. In California we just freak out and move on. (usually) Our infrastructures are generally strong enough to deal with the earthquakes. We just freak you out because we don’t know when they are coming, how large they are going to be, or how long we have to deal with aftershocks. But I feel bad for people that have to deal with hurricanes and tornadoes because they can and often do destroy homes, if not neighborhoods. It's really sad.

Sophia
Lostest Boy

Post by Sophia »

That's true. A friend of the family lived in a house with this huge tree in the backyard. The hurricane winds managed to knock the tree over and it, of course, fell on part of the house. Luckily it was just the patio area.

The soil in these parts is ridiculously bad at absorbing water. I remember some of my friends' front lawns being submerged for about a week after the hurricane rush. (Too make things more miserable, they also had no power in the house)