Books that end to short (mostly manga though...)

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.

Do good mangas end to fast?

Poll ended at Thu May 05, 2005 6:00 pm

They do end to fast.
No votes
They end WAY to fast!!!
No votes
They end at the right time.
100%

Total votes: 2

Reaper
Lyton Singer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Books that end to short (mostly manga though...)

Post by Reaper »

In manga like Love Hina does anyone else notice that they cut the books way to fast? I think any one with any sense of imagination could have kept love Hina going for another LONG run. I mean it was one of the greatest things out their for a long time anyone would love to see it again. Even in books like his Dark Materials (if you don't know this collection just ask) and Artemis Fowl! :shock: [/i]
The end will come to death
but death will never end

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I think a lot of that depends on what I expect from a book/trilogy/miniseries/etc.. In the case of His Dark Materials, I thought the series ended well. Of course writing more books with the same worlds would be interesting, but they resolved the story to my satisfaction.

I'm trying to think of an example where I wish more was written. Maybe with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Yes, 5 books is enough, but I want more. Or the Dune series. I mean, ending at the first book would've been fine for many people. Personally though I enjoyed the other books written by Frank Herbert immensely, and the one thing that really irritates me some is that he makes some strong, vague allusions to a threat in the last book, and then he dies. While it's possible to guess what the threat is by reading his son's and Kevin J. Anderson's writings (and also possible to be wrong), this was a case where it felt incomplete.

I think one thing a lot of authors and artists want though is to be able to move from different series at will. I wouldn't want to write 50 Animorphs books.

Using Isaac Asimov as another example, he didn't write much fiction at all for a 20 year period. He was writing profusely, yes, but it was mostly nonfiction, researched works. He only picked up the next Robot novel (The Robots of Dawn, I believe) about 30 years after the book before it. Fortunately, he did write it finally, but many times that's not the case, and it's unfortunate, but... okay.

So what I'm trying to say is that I seldom think that a series should've been continued longer, unless it's a case in which the author died or quit before completing what must've been his aim. If a sequel is only to continue the action... no. The plot must fit too, and most times I see them as having been completed.