How's Work?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
localflick
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

How's Work?

Post by localflick »

It seems like a lot of people I know fall into 2 categories: those who need a job, and those who hate their job and are looking for a new one. Personally I'm ok with my job, but I have doubts about whether or not it's right for me. The pay is decent, the people are great but my commute sucks and my job description changed to the point where I'm not sure it's right for me.

I'm curious, how do you feel about your job?

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: How's Work?

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I absolutely love my job. I'm having the time of my life.

I'm a GTA (graduate teaching assistant.) Furthermore, since I'm a math student, I'm one of the highest-paid GTAs at the university. I have enough for rent and food and some pocket change for a few video games every month. On top of which, my tuition is waived. And considering the amount of work I actually do is pretty minimal (tutoring 6 hours a week, ghost classes 5 hours a week), I'm basically being paid to study what I love.

Sure, I could be making at least three times what I do now with my qualifications if I were to work in industry, but I've spent time in corporate America, and I never care to do so again. I'm extremely happy in academia.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Vyse of Arcadia wrote:
I'm a GTA (graduate teaching assistant.) Furthermore, since I'm a math student...
Small world. I'm also a math grad student working as a TA.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Imperial Knight wrote:
Vyse of Arcadia wrote:
I'm a GTA (graduate teaching assistant.) Furthermore, since I'm a math student...
Small world. I'm also a math grad student working as a TA.
Hooray! Isn't it great, living the dream?

What's your field?

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

PDE. Specifically, free boundary problems. What's yours?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I love my job. I feel a bit underpaid and think that I could get a better salary elsewhere. But as for pure job satisfaction, that's really high. My coworkers are great, my boss is great, the subject matter is great (usually, now it's a bit less so), and I have little luxuries like being able to come in at whatever time and not get flak for it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Unemployed right now.

Getting an associates degree in May. Hope it helps a little. Can't afford anything higher than that right now.

I can't find any work around here. I applied to Sears, Hallmark, the Post Office, Home Depot... the only one that seems like it may work out is the Census 2010 job, but that's temporary.

Sucks. :cry:

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Imperial Knight wrote:PDE. Specifically, free boundary problems. What's yours?
Oh good god. PDEs terrify me. Mine is algebra. I'm still a first-year, so nothing more specific than that yet.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

fates wrote:Unemployed right now.

Getting an associates degree in May. Hope it helps a little. Can't afford anything higher than that right now.

I can't find any work around here. I applied to Sears, Hallmark, the Post Office, Home Depot... the only one that seems like it may work out is the Census 2010 job, but that's temporary.

Sucks. :cry:
I remember trying to find work. Took forever to find a job!

Right now I work at McDonalds. I suppose its really not too bad. I tend to make fairly good money. Most of the managers aren't too bad. Actually, I've come out of my shell a little there. Some stuff ticks me off there, but otherwise I'm happy there. Supposedly I'm getting a raise. =3!

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I really enjoy my job, but it isn't anything substantial. I was unemployed and had to take what I could find. I work at a food coop, selling produce and organic food and all that jazz. But, minimal hours and minimum wage. ; ;
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Interesting that this subject comes up... a week ago, I was told I would be getting laid off in 6 weeks. I am dreaming of grad school.
「まあいいけど。」

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Considering I didn't reenlist and I'm getting out of the Army, I'd say I hate my job and I'm looking for a new one. But there are several options open to me which is a good thing. So we'll see.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I'm still dreaming of working at Gamestop for my first job... I basically do babysitting/caretaker for my brother right now since he's unable to take care of himself and my Mom has to work. My gf works at a grocer near here, she just finished tobacco/alcohol training. I still don't understand the deal with out of state IDs.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

I have worked 13 hours a day (on average) 7 days a week for 17 days straight. All because of the snow leaking into peoples homes here in DC. I need a break but I'm thankful.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

For the past 9 months I have been jobless. There just wasn't anything worth taking. I didn't want to take a job I could get easily, (like flipping burgers/retail) because it wouldn't really help me. I wouldn't be able to survive financially off it.

But I'm glad I waited, I found a great job now. I have a great wage, my bosses love me, and I work from home. I have never ever had a job where I could actually have lunch with my wife. I spend more time with her now, its been great for our relationship and our cheque book.

I have to say, I'm thinking long term for the first time ever.

Oh and the greatest part is it allows me to go to school while working.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I'm truly fortunate I get paid to do what I love. I always wanted to be a musician and I am one of the few people that are lucky enough to make a career out of it. I'm not the best musician in the world and I don't make the most money but I am very happy. Money is great but enjoying your job is worth much more.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

My job has really changed in the last two and a half years. Sure, I get paid a very decent wage, not to mention I'm now in charge. Yet due to changes in the workplace, but dealing with some difficult employees, makes me miss the more carefree aspects of the job. Still, I love my job, it isn't for me in the end, but I still love it. I have a bit more freedom in it than most people have with their jobs.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Dragon Master Lunar81
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Dragon Master Lunar81 »

My Job is good considering it gives me the freedom to still pursue school and gives me an excellent wage considering the hours I put in. Teaching is very satisfying but I don't think I can do that as a permanent job!

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Aaron wrote:For the past 9 months I have been jobless. There just wasn't anything worth taking. I didn't want to take a job I could get easily, (like flipping burgers/retail) because it wouldn't really help me. I wouldn't be able to survive financially off it.

But I'm glad I waited, I found a great job now. I have a great wage, my bosses love me, and I work from home. I have never ever had a job where I could actually have lunch with my wife. I spend more time with her now, its been great for our relationship and our cheque book.

I remember I tried to avoid fast food and stuff, but I just couldn't find a job anywhere else so I went to that. Its hard to get a first job. People don't like to give people chances ~_~ Eventually I need to do something else, but not yet.

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Aaron wrote:For the past 9 months I have been jobless. There just wasn't anything worth taking. I didn't want to take a job I could get easily, (like flipping burgers/retail) because it wouldn't really help me. I wouldn't be able to survive financially off it.

Wow that's pretty awesome. I wish I could find something like that!

I'm trying to find something retail, don't feel like working with food at all because two jobs I had the past were food related and ended horribly. So I'd prefer to never do that again.

But I'm turning up naught. :x