Winter Olympics 2010!

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Winter Olympics 2010!

Post by Alunissage »

I suspect that for every competitor who is feeling trepidation and/or grief about the death there is another feeling anger that one person who clearly wasn't good enough to keep himself from getting killed has ended up simplifying and diluting the sport for his betters. That's how a whole lot of people respond to new safety measures that restrict them because of something that happened to someone else.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Who else actually watched pairs figure skating today?

The top Chinese pair, and the German pair, were both pretty amazing. I nearly dismissed the German pair on account of the clown costumes and how silly they looked, but they turned out to have a really impressive and original routine that complemented their costume (and just before they were on, I was complaining how it seems that no one ever tries something that breaks from the norm and stands out). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I watched the short program last night. I was really impressed by the first pair, the top Chinese couple. What shocked me was how high the pairs who had falls scored. One point deduction for tumbling onto the ice seemed very low on this scoring scale. The same amount was deducted from a pair without a fall for something that was evidently so minor the (unusually quiet) commentators didn't mention it.

I rather liked seeing the skating to Stravinsky's Firebird. What was particularly amusing to me was that I identified the piece immediately not because of the costumes, which I had already noted looked like phoenixes, but because of a fuss someone made a good 10 years ago on the WDMB claiming that TSS's composer plagiarized Stravinsky with the boss music (first heard fighting the Water Dragon). One of the best posts I ever wrote there was in response to that bit of idiocy...sigh.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:I watched the short program last night. I was really impressed by the first pair, the top Chinese couple. What shocked me was how high the pairs who had falls scored. One point deduction for tumbling onto the ice seemed very low on this scoring scale. The same amount was deducted from a pair without a fall for something that was evidently so minor the (unusually quiet) commentators didn't mention it.
Oh I definitely agree! I think there was some... bias in that regard in trying to make up for their mistakes (since you know they wouldn't've placed anyway?). The Canadian pair that fell definitely got a higher score than expected. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Alunissage wrote:I suspect that for every competitor who is feeling trepidation and/or grief about the death there is another feeling anger that one person who clearly wasn't good enough to keep himself from getting killed has ended up simplifying and diluting the sport for his betters. That's how a whole lot of people respond to new safety measures that restrict them because of something that happened to someone else.
That's true I was just surprised to hear someone being vocal about it so soon. He didn't even acknowledge the saddness of losing a fellow luger. I guess I'm just used to seeing people act all P.C. all the time. I do appreciate his honesty though. =)

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Shaun White scored 48.4 on a victory lap last night. I thought it was a crazy awesome run!!
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Huge win for USA against Canada!
-G1

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Miller stood on his head. Canada took over in the last 5 minutes and USA hung on thanks to a diving goal by Ryan Kesler. Great game.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I was watching Ice Dancing today, and... yeah, the Russian pair with the "aboriginal" costumes was about as ridiculous as I expected. I was never happier to see the USA beat someone. Both the USA pair (Davis/White, definitely my favorite in there) and the Canadian pair that beat them were really fun to watch.

That being said, I still like regular figure skating way more, and this seems more like entertainment than an athletic competition.
GhaleonOne wrote:Huge win for USA against Canada!
Just two numbers for you:
Five
to
Three
! KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Kizyr wrote:That being said, I still like regular figure skating way more, and this seems more like entertainment than an athletic competition.
I thought it seemed a bit gimmicky for the Olympics, but eh.

Gotta admit, I was switching between the hockey game and the skiing events. I usually just watch snowboarding at the Olympics, but I've gotten into the skiing quite a bit.
-G1

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Truly the faces of pure concentration! :lol: <3
Anyway, how about that hockey game the other night?? Totally wasn't expecting USA to win, but I'm glad that we did!
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

LuNaRtIc wrote:
Truly the faces of pure concentration! :lol: <3!
The 1st pic looks like she is giving birth into his mouth...

LuNaRtIc wrote:Anyway, how about that hockey game the other night?? Totally wasn't expecting USA to win, but I'm glad that we did!
That game was amazing, hopefully Canada won't kick out butt the next time we play eachother. But I think a good butt kicking is probably what they had planned. Did you know they had all the bars closing down early that night because they expected all the Canadians would be getting crazy after their big win on team USA? They must have been so sad.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

The clowns' one was actually intentional, too. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I just watched my first hocky game ever, well i watched most of it, most of the first part and the 3rd part. We beat Russia yay ^^

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

Just watched my second hockey game ever fully watched this one
yay we won gold!~

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I think I <3 Kim Yu-Na. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I call bull on Apolo getting disqualified from that short track race. :evil: Looked to me like he barely touched that guy. And he seemed to stumble *after* Apolo's hand was taken away. *grumblemumble*
Kaiya-Sky wrote:Just watched my second hockey game ever fully watched this one
yay we won gold!~
Not yet! Big show down on Sunday, USA vs Canada! I'm really nervous, but I can't wait to watch it! :)
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

LuNaRtIc wrote:I call bull on Apolo getting disqualified from that short track race. :evil: Looked to me like he barely touched that guy. And he seemed to stumble *after* Apolo's hand was taken away. *grumblemumble*
Kaiya-Sky wrote:Just watched my second hockey game ever fully watched this one
yay we won gold!~
Not yet! Big show down on Sunday, USA vs Canada! I'm really nervous, but I can't wait to watch it! :)
I was talking about the womans hockey ^^ then men didn't seem that excited when they won, the pressure is on now for them

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Kaiya-Sky wrote:I was talking about the womans hockey ^^ then men didn't seem that excited when they won, the pressure is on now for them
*Smacks forehead* AH YES! Of course, of course! I don't know why I didn't think of that. xD Big congratulations on that gold medal win! :3
The pressure is most certainly on for Sunday's game! It's going to be huge! @_@
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」