How's that weather holding out for you Kizyr?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Jenner
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

How's that weather holding out for you Kizyr?

Post by Jenner »

Don't worry, I'll come keep you warm.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: How's that weather holding out for you Kizyr?

Post by Sonic# »

It looks like a giant mitten reaching our from the Atlantic for a green apple it's really better off without.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Ah, New England. I visited there in the winter a couple of times. I've no intention of ever doing so again.

It's kinda funny. There's an inch of snow predicted here on Friday, and they're already sending out e-mails about classes possibly being canceled.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

What's snow?

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

An inch of snow and classes being cancelled? WTF?

Come to Allentown, PA. We've got 14"+ and that's on top of the snow we just had a few days earlier.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Snowpocolypse was a farce. We got barely an inch here in CT. >.<
-Nobi

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Silver Phoenix wrote:An inch of snow and classes being cancelled? WTF?
I live in Alabama. We don't have the infrastructure to deal with any amount of snow on the roads, nor do the drivers here have any experience dealing with it. An inch shuts down just about everything.

Last time we had an ice storm, I watched one of the sanding trucks go up the road, very late the day after the storm (and this was a state highway.) It was a pick-up truck with a pile of sand and a guy with a shovel in the back.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:An inch of snow and classes being cancelled? WTF?
Come to Allentown, PA. We've got 14"+ and that's on top of the snow we just had a few days earlier.
Oh man... I get irritated every time I hear this, 'cause it happens every snowfall.

Snow is relative. It doesn't make sense for a place that gets almost no snow (e.g., Nashville, which gets on average 6 inches of snowfall a decade) to build up a huge infrastructure to deal with an extremely rare event. So, 2" of snow in a place that gets almost no snow is a lot. 12" of snow in someplace that gets a ton of snow (like up North) is not very much, because they have the infrastructure to deal with it.

After this winter, I'm totally going to call folks out who whine about the heat this summer. "Oh, it's 90 degrees? Come on... Where I'm from, 90 degrees and 100% humidity is nothin'!"

Anyway:
IMG_1731.JPG
IMG_1731.JPG (152.49 KiB) Viewed 24139 times
IMG_1733.jpg
IMG_1733.jpg (98.92 KiB) Viewed 24139 times
IMG_1734.jpg
IMG_1734.jpg (71.11 KiB) Viewed 24139 times
IMG_1735.jpg
IMG_1735.jpg (111.61 KiB) Viewed 24139 times
KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

That parking meter looks lonely.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Well, I live about 20 minutes west of Kizyr and we have around 40 inches of snow on the ground outside. 12 inches today, 30 from the last storm and 3 inches still on the ground before that with some melted off.

This is a record winter for northern Virginia.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I have a friend in Ashburn, VA but I didn't look at any of the pictures she showed from the previous storm.

And Kiz, why are you giving me attitude over a comment about classes being cancelled over an inch of snow? It's not like I keep tabs, or even know where everyone lives on here.

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

As weird as it sounds, I miss snow :( I was born and raised in NYC and moved out here to Arizona last year and, obviously, no chance of snow lol I even miss shoveling it....well, maybe not FULLY miss shoveling :)
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Silver Phoenix wrote:And Kiz, why are you giving me attitude over a comment about classes being cancelled over an inch of snow? It's not like I keep tabs, or even know where everyone lives on here.
It's nothing about knowing where person A or B is from, it's the idea of mocking a region which is stressed from and unprepared for a very rare occurrence because your region experiences the same thing routinely in much greater quantity and therefore would not be stressed at all by the conditions in the other region. It doesn't matter if it's X times "worse" where you are. I mean, I can't think of a single time I've been in a U.S. city with snow in it, and there was no actual snow falling the three times I was in Canadian cities with snow on the ground. I wouldn't have the first notion how to drive in it. I am sure that getting an inch of snow where I am (SF bay area) would cause weird things to happen around here, regardless of how much snow falls in other places that actually have seasons.

Oh, and I didn't read what he said as giving you attitude -- he said he was irritated whenever he heard comments of that type, which is not the same thing. It'd be a bit different if you were the only person who ever said things like that, but clearly you're not. :P

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

An inch of snow shutting down classes was odd to me, so had I known where he lived then I would have understood. Of course he said where he lives after, and I see the location on his username now so I understand. It's not like I would have questioned it otherwise.

It's kind of the same thing with temperature when someone from California says it's freezing when it's 60 degrees. It just doesn't affect you the same way when you're used to colder temperatures.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Silver Phoenix wrote: It's kind of the same thing with temperature when someone from California says it's freezing when it's 60 degrees. It just doesn't affect you the same way when you're used to colder temperatures.
Lol this is soooooooooooo true. If it's not 70 degrees I am freezing! Anything between 74-90 and I am very comfortable. Once it's past 100 it starts getting hot. Southern Californians are wimps when it comes to weather.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Indeed we are. (I grew up in Burbank.) Though my comfort zone has always been a bit lower, about 60-80, which is part of why I went to UC Berkeley and ultimately stayed in town. My sister, who still lives at home, is more like what you describe in temperature preferences. She's always complaining when she visits that it's too cold here if it's below 70-75. :P

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It has a lot to do with body acclimation. I always wear short sleeves in the winter, and my friends are bundled up or wearing sweaters. Granted, there are times when I get cold but it's not often.

The only time I've been to California was when I was 16, and it was the week after Thanksgiving. I was in Southern CA, Anaheim area and the weather was really bad. It was cold and terrential downpour raining for days on end. I think there was only one day where it warmed up to 80. Weather is strange, and we had a couple 90 degree days in December a year or two ago. This planet is a mess.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Now that I know we're only five years apart in age, I'm wracking my brain trying to remember that Thanksgiving. Though I would have been back in the Bay Area by then if I did go home. I might have stayed put and played TSS.

My husband, who grew up in Saskatoon, rarely feels as chilled as I do, unsurprisingly. A shame because the first sweater I knit and still the biggest object I have completed was a heavy wool cabled one, designed by me with great care and executed with utmost finickiness. And far, far too warm for him to wear anywhere except his hometown in winter...and while he did take it with him on a visit, he didn't want to wear it for fear it would get muddy. Sigh. So I gave it to my mom, who does wear it, and borrowed it back for my two trips to Saskatoon. On the other hand, sometimes my cold tolerance is pretty high, but it's entirely a function of how much I'm moving. The thing I liked least about college and which I still have to deal with to a lesser extent was leaving the house on a cold morning, all bundled up, and being soaked in sweat by the time I made it uphill to my class. Then being too hot for the first half hour, so much so that I actually sat on the sill of an open window during one class, then five minutes of blissful comfort, then another hour of being too cold from sitting still.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

My capacity for cold resistance is directly proportional to how much I want to impress Kizyr or how likely I think it will be to provoke him to cuddle me.

The best thing about visiting Kiz is that he keeps his thermostat pretty high but if it's been a cold and miserable day no amount of active heat in the area will affect me. My feet and hands always seem to be ice cold.

Wooow, I parked under that tree in the first picture last time I visited... look at those downed branches. And poor Kuribo! Buried under so much snow. One of these days I'll have to take pictures of my Campus... We had a pretty significant blizzard roll through (one so bad they shut down classes and played the severe weather siren) It was up to my thighs walking to my morning class.

:3 Maybe I should come down there and keep you warm? ;)
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

This is how I feel right now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArQ46Y5VqHI

Yep. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)