So, what do you guys do for a living?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
brightshield
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

So, what do you guys do for a living?

Post by brightshield »

I'll go first.

Job: Squire/Falconer

Job type: Live Performer

Job description:

As a Squire I maintain the arena, hand off weapons to the knights, sword fight in the opening and ending, dress horses, ride horses sometimes(still learning) etc.

As a Falconer I fly a falcon around the arena.

Job goals: To become a Knight one day.

Company: Medieval Times: Dinner and Tournament

Hirox
Student of Vane

Re: So, what do you guys do for a living?

Post by Hirox »

I used to with that I could be a Knight when I grew up.

Anyways...

I am a Internet Support Represenative at Mediacom!

I deal with d-bags alllllllllll day.

I also play guitar and sing in my band At Will.

My job goals would be to get signed and tour with my band 10 months out of the year.

And nice to meet you ^.^

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I thought you were kidding at first about being a squire. That sounds like fun. Do you go to Renaissance fairs very much? I know they also have jousts, and people willing to teach.

Job: Graduate Student (English)

Job type: Student

Job description:

Well, right now I'm in the thick of a bunch of classwork. Go to 3 hour classes once a week, read, prepare presentations, write papers, and repeat. It keeps me busy.

I also volunteer for the department I'm in a lot. I drive visitors around, staff different events, and so on. Next year, I'll be a teacher's assistant.

Job goals: To become a professor or a research librarian.

Company: I'd rather not say. :)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Job: Teaching Assistant

Job Type: Educator

Job Description:

Like Sonic#, I am a graduate student, although my field is math, not English.

As a teaching assistant, my job has usually been to lead discussion sections that are attached to large lectures. The idea behind the discussion sections is largely to give students a chance to meet in a smaller group and also to give them a forum to ask questions and an opportunity to interact with an instructor (something that's hard to do in lecture when your section often has in excess of 200 students in it). Beyond that there's also holding office hours for students to get help if they need it, grading, and several mundane administrative tasks.

This semester however, I've been "promoted" to an assignment where I'll have my own lecture sections. I'm actually pretty excited about the opportunity to be the primary instructor for my students this time around (and for the pay raise that comes along with it).

Job Goals: Become a professor.

Employer: University of Wisconsin
Last edited by Imperial Knight on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Job: Relocation Accounting Analyst

Job Type: Auditor

Job Description: Relocating employees for various companies send their expenses to me, I audit them to make sure they're reasonable/within company policy.

Job Goals: Get my book published

Employer: Cartus
-Nobi

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Job One: Security Officer

Job type: Supervisor

Job description: Administrative duties in the office, updating site paperwork and policies, surpervising several employees (thankfully not at the same time), scanning cameras, and performing hour+ long walks around the premises (both inside and out) to ensure that everything and everyone is safe. I also keep an eye out for maintanence issues stemming from outside forces.

Job goals: Not get fired

Company: Sorry, I ain't saying at the moment.
`'`'`'`'``'`'`'``'`'``'`'`'`'``'`'`'
Job Two: Full time student

Job type: Studying for my BS in IT.

Job description: Appearing for class when required, participating in thought provoking debates, turning in assignments on time, reading, and lots of studying.

Job goals: Get my GPA to up to a 3.0; graduate

Company: Colorado Technical University

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

Job: comics artist

Job type: freelance art/illustration

Job description:
provide the art for comic books. sometimes this includes lettering and design, sometimes it doesn't.

Job goals: to publish my own stories.

Company: n/a

i just had a book published, but i'm only posting the link on the condition that nobody go looking for it in their local bookstores--my parting with this company was really ugly, and i have no desire to throw any business their way.

*cough* of course, you can buy as many of these as you want.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I'm still in high school :<
Will probably go for some language after high school.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

I used to with that I could be a Knight when I grew up.

lol, yeah I've been a big fan of sword fighting ever since I was a little kid. So becoming a Knight has always been a childhood dream of mine.

I thought you were kidding at first about being a squire.

Nah. I really am a Squire and a Falconer. I uploaded two videos of me fighting on Youtube. I don't have any Falconer videos though. The camera focuses on me a lot, even though I don't do that much in either video(lol what'd you expect it's my brother that recorded it).

In this video I'm the Barbarian with the shield and sword. After a while I drop my shield and take out the rope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR3KgtDrh00

In this next video I'm the green squire with the two handed sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQPb6L1L9k

That sounds like fun.

It is, but it's a lot of hard work too. Both physically and mentally exhausting.

Do you go to Renaissance fairs very much?

I've actually never been to one.

I know they also have jousts, and people willing to teach.

The head Knight is showing me how to ride now, so that's a good start. I already mastered walking, now I'm working on my posture while I trot(I keep bouncing too high). I have to become a great rider before they'd even consider teaching me to Joust.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Job One: Security Officer

Job type: Basic Security Officer

Job description: Patrol site. Be bored to death. Read books that have absolutely NOTHING to do with security.

Job goals: Not get fired. Quit as soon as is humanly possible.

Company: Securitas

------------------------------------------------------
Job Two: Financial Services/Direct Sales

Job type: Life Insurance/Mortgage/Investments

Job description: Knock on doors, set appointments, help families straighten themselves out to get out of debt and stay that way, fix the mess all the bad mortgage brokers made, fix the mess all the bad life insurance companies made, fix the mess all the bad investment people made, recruit people to join my team,

Job goals: Become a Regional Vice President, make over 10k per month.

Company: Primerica Financial Services. PFS is a subsidiary (for now) of Citigroup, but it's also one of the companies Citigroup is planning on selling.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Brightshield, do you actually train the falcons or do you just learn the commands that some other trainer teaches the falcon?

I saw a really awesome falcon at an event at Sea World like 10 years ago. I always thought training animals would be fun. I can't even train my dog to do anything other than sit though...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

brightshield wrote:Job: Squire/Falconer
Did you start this thread just so you could say "I'm a falconer"? I mean, if I were you, I'd be trying to bring it up in every other conversation. 'Cause you always have an interesting opening line.

"So... what do you do?"
"Oh, I'm working as a paralegal at the moment. What about you?"
"I'm a falconer."
"...what, really?"

Anyway, here's mine.

Job: Economic consultant
Job type: Research, analysis, and consulting
Job description: I analyze data and tell people what to do. I don't get into specifics since it starts getting technical and sounds boring. But I really enjoy my job. It involves lots of statistics, some programming, and writing.
Job goals: Get my M.P.P. (from Georgetown, preferably). In a few years be in a position where I can manage entire projects and contracts, rather than just managing particular tasks.
Company: I don't mention it online, only so that it doesn't come up if someone searches for my company's name. If you talk to me privately then I'll let you know. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Job: Web Designer

Job type: Design

Job description: Design websites, mostly Flash-based. Usually projects involving Nike, Adidas and other sports manufacturer micro-sites.

Job goals: Right now, just continue building my portfolio up for when I decide to move to a larger market.

Company: Rather not say, but it's pretty obvious if you visit my portfolio.
-G1

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

Brightshield, do you actually train the falcons or do you just learn the commands that some other trainer teaches the falcon?

I don't train them. I'm a Squire that does the Falconer act on days that the main Falconer has off. He brings the bird in, and leaves her at the castle for me to fly. It's kind of nasty sometimes, since you have to gut small birds with your bare hands, and feed them to her...

Did you start this thread just so you could say "I'm a falconer"?

lol, nah nothing like that. Besides, I actually like being a Squire a lot more because I get to sword fight.

Anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys do. More people working security than I thought.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Angelalex242 wrote: Company: Securitas
Small world, my mother used to work for them as a field supervisor. Do you still have ranks? She was a captain.

My step-dad also used to work for them, he was a branch manager.

Funnier yet, all three of us live together and all three of us still work in Security. Me and my mother are in the same company, but we work different sites on different shifts, and my step-dad works in a different company as a supervisor at a hospital. Personally, I would have kept the branch manager job, it pays many times better.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

They don't have military style ranks, no.

They have 'Security Officer' 'Account Manager' 'Branch Manager.'

At any rate, such things don't interest me. I'm going to ditch the Zophar be damned company as soon as I can.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

Job: Chief of Technical Support

Job type: Tech Support / Sales / Billing

Job description: I listen to people complain about how their internet/website/digital phone etc isn't working right and I try to help them fix it. I swear to god human error rate is near 99%. Occasionally I'll also do sales or billing if things are busy.

Job goals: To become a Network Administrator, I'm currently in college.

Company: 207 Technology Group Inc.
I - am that is

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Imperial: Are you at UW-Madison? If so, that's hilarious. I grew up/live in Madison.

Job: Freelance illustrator, currently working on 3 different projects- coloring comics for Committed Comics, illustrating an RPG book for Talisman Studios, and art lead for mini game company Way Outnumbered.

Grats on the book, Meg! That's awesome :D
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

LuciaOne wrote:Imperial: Are you at UW-Madison? If so, that's hilarious. I grew up/live in Madison.
Yes, I am at UW-Madison.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Everyone on the MB has such interesting jobs, as for me:

Job: Musician

Job Description: Perform random gigs ie: Operas, Musicals, Weddings whatever I get asked to do. I also work with children teaching them how to play woodwind instruments.

Job Goals: Be one of the lucky few to land a Symphony gig... But it's highly unlikely

Employer: Self