So, what do you guys do for a living?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: So, what do you guys do for a living?

Post by Sadrin »

It's nice to see that you guys have neat jobs. Who loves or hates their current job?

I don't have a job at the moment. I'm kinda a house-husband but without the husband thing. I worked for Starbucks for 2 years and that was swell. I'm trying to go back but I now live outside my old district. Two of the 4 stores within 10 miles have closed. That's what they get for trying to be everyone's coffee. My bf and I are looking to move back to downtown Atlanta. If I do you guys will have to visit me at Lenox mall!
Depend On You Changed My Life.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Job: Software Engineer, File Systems Group

Job Description: I'm basically an operating system kernel hacker working on the file system for the custom operating system that runs on the file servers my company sells.

Job Goals: Umm, probably to become a very senior, perhaps even VP-level, engineer, assuming I stay at my current company (which I have no reason to leave right now anyway). That's assuming my plans to try and take over the world don't come to fruition, of course. :)

Company: Like Kizyr, I'd rather not say online (although some of you may already know from other means), but it's a Fortune 1000 computer storage hardware/software company.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

I do -Dragon Diamond- here and there but do not have any solid employment, per say, I get paid less than minimum wage to administer a java/IRC chatroom for an internet suicide support group for a university's study. I hope to one day become a corporate sell out and get hired to lobby for some environmentalist group, since the market crashed, lobbying is where all the money is at right now (though brokers still make asstons too much money.)

Currently I am involved in an organization called NEOGAP (The Northeast Ohio branch of the Oil and Gas Accountability Project) we inform the communities of Northeast Ohio about natural gas and oil well drilling that is happening here in the state. Some of the members of that organization also participate with me in a group I've started with three friends of mine called Fleshworks (you won't find it on the internet yet as we do not have a website.) NEOGAP is in no way associated with Fleshworks. Me and 5-11 other people use our networking in other environmental groups and go to sites where unenvironmental things are being done, or about to be done, and protest them loudly and obnoxiously. I recently was successful in thwarting the attempts of an oil company to dig another oil well on my community college's campus and we had a big party on Tuesday celebrating Barack Hussein Obama's inauguration. Some time next week some of the Fleshworks people are planning to down to Astabula to talk to Senator Tim Grendel about some of the bills passed during the Bush administration that need to be addressed. Four of us are doing water testing on Lake Erie near several large businesses to see if they are being jerks. So far, we are all doing this for free, and we would continue to do it for free if we didn't need money to live.

In short: WILL PROTEST FOR CASH
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Imperial Knight wrote:
LuciaOne wrote:Imperial: Are you at UW-Madison? If so, that's hilarious. I grew up/live in Madison.
Yes, I am at UW-Madison.
AWESOME. Remember how last Thursday, the high was like -5? Wasn't that just fantastic? And this morning we had "freezing fog".
Man winter here rocks.
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

And this morning we had "freezing fog".
Those kinds of conditions can make some amazing photography though.

And it was 60 here the past two days. :P
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

This time of year we should be having sub-zero temps... instead we nearly hit 70 yesterday, and high 60s today.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

Job: IT Technical Consultant

Job Description: Kind of don't have one. I do everything from fixing computers to building servers to running cable in walls to a little web development.

Job Goals: None, really, at this place. I don't really want to be doing this the rest of my life, and there's really no more room to grow at such a small company (about 10 people). My real love is 3d animation, which I also studied in college. I just have to figure out how to make money at it.

Company: You've never heard of it.

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

phyco126 wrote:This time of year we should be having sub-zero temps... instead we nearly hit 70 yesterday, and high 60s today.
Wait wait, you live in CO, and it's 70 in the winter?
This is srsly the end of the world or global warming. Cause nature must have gtfo'd for this kind of crazy crap to happen.

Tao:
3D animation is a huge, money-making field. What kind of animation do you want to do? There's so many game studios hiring animators, if you know how to model and texture well, you're golden.
~~~

~~~
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
~~~

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

LuciaOne wrote:3D animation is a huge, money-making field. What kind of animation do you want to do? There's so many game studios hiring animators, if you know how to model and texture well, you're golden.
Well, anything from games, to pixar style films, to effects for live action. Trouble is, I don't really have the option of moving anywhere that those studios are. Even madison would be a bit far. There doesn't seem to be too much around here for freelance work. I could certainly freelance over the web, if I knew who to talk to. I think my best bet at this point is a couple of ideas for web comics (to be done in 3d) that I've got in my head that could be grown into animation someday. I can model, texture, render, light, composite, animate and then some. Learned maya back in college, and I'm pretty proficient in blender now. (and of course, most studios don't use it, only the big commercial packages.)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

LuciaOne wrote:Wait wait, you live in CO, and it's 70 in the winter?
This is srsly the end of the world or global warming. Cause nature must have gtfo'd for this kind of crazy crap to happen.
Keep in mind there is a HUGE difference between plains Colorado and mountain Colorado. It can be 70 in Denver, and an hour away be -20 in the mountains with blizzard conditions.
-G1

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

TaoTeCheese wrote:Well, anything from games, to pixar style films, to effects for live action. Trouble is, I don't really have the option of moving anywhere that those studios are. Even madison would be a bit far. There doesn't seem to be too much around here for freelance work. I could certainly freelance over the web, if I knew who to talk to. I think my best bet at this point is a couple of ideas for web comics (to be done in 3d) that I've got in my head that could be grown into animation someday. I can model, texture, render, light, composite, animate and then some. Learned maya back in college, and I'm pretty proficient in blender now. (and of course, most studios don't use it, only the big commercial packages.)
Holy crap, you live in Wisconsin too?!?! DUDE!! Madison is AWESOME for video games!! Raven and Human Head are great places to work, and I KNOW Raven is hiring animators. I think starting pay there is minimum 30k, plus all benefits (I knew a lead animator who made like 65k). They use 3dsmax, though. I don't know your situation but animation is pretty great right now :D

G1-
Oops. I thought all of CO was mountains. But still, Phyco said it's supposed to be subzero there right now. I wish it were 40 degrees here, I'd go biking in shorts and a tshirt.
Last edited by Kizyr on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote tags
~~~

~~~
~~~

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

LuciaOne wrote:Holy crap, you live in Wisconsin too?!?! DUDE!! Madison is AWESOME for video games!! Raven and Human Head are great places to work, and I KNOW Raven is hiring animators. I think starting pay there is minimum 30k, plus all benefits (I knew a lead animator who made like 65k). They use 3dsmax, though. I don't know your situation but animation is pretty great right now :D
Um, yeah, it's been right there on the left side the whole time :P

Brandon is about an hour north of mad-town. I sometimes drive down there to go dancing at a certain club. I'm well aware of Raven, and I've heard it's a royal b**** to actually get hired by, but once you're in, it's heaven. I've used Max, too. Never liked it's interface, though. Other problem is I haven't had time to put together a decent enough portfolio to show off, but I'm working on that.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

What G1 said is true, but that doesn't explain the near and occasional record breaking temps. Its gonna be a long, dry, hot year I think.

Global warming or just the occasional lifetime cycle that the area likely goes through, these temps have hit this high before, not sure if it did for a whole week though, but likely so. Either or, its irratating and I hate it. If it's gonna be in the upper 60s and lower 70s, give me rain, lots of friggin rain.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Well, I'm still pretty young, just recently turned twenty, so I don't really have any solid employment currently. I'm in college right now, going for a degree in Graphic Design and Animation, and after that I intend to study Japanese. I'm hoping to get a job working for ADV making DVD cover art and also translating RAW series once I learn Japanese. At least I have goals right?
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

LuciaOne wrote:
Imperial Knight wrote:
LuciaOne wrote:Imperial: Are you at UW-Madison? If so, that's hilarious. I grew up/live in Madison.
Yes, I am at UW-Madison.
AWESOME. Remember how last Thursday, the high was like -5? Wasn't that just fantastic? And this morning we had "freezing fog".
Man winter here rocks.
Yeah, it took me a bit of time to get used to Wisconsin winters (I grew up in Indiana), but now whenever I go to visit my parents during the winter, it seems freakishly warm down there (though that day in December when it hit over 70 actually was freakishly warm).