Vote

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Vote

Post by Kizyr »

Seriously, no excuse. If you're registered, and you haven't voted yet, get to the polls already.

I don't care if you're in a solid red or blue state, and if you think you can't affect the outcome. The point isn't to be the one person on whom the entire election hinges, but to voice your opinion. Not only are the results important, but the numbers behind them are, as well. Unless you're content with continuing to be ignored.

Not to mention, it's not just the President on the ballot, but Senators, House Reps, and local city or state resolutions as well. If you're in California, especially, there's really no excuse with the dozens of Propositions up for referendum as well. So, go vote already. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: Vote

Post by Werefrog »

Voted via absentee a couple of weeks ago. So... apparently... I'm in a battleground state this year! I would have never believed it if someone had told me this would happen six months ago.

Some Obama supporters woke me up during my nap about the same time you posted this. McCain supporters would have known the value of a good nap.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Not voting with an excuse of either not motivated enough or for the lulz. Whichever.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Voted this morning. The suspense is killing me!
-Nobi

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Man, the incumbent governor of my state is going to be re-elected. That's disappointing. Obama's still hanging in there in Indiana, though.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I absentee voted, since I'm still more familiar (and concerned) with my home state's politics than those here. By next time I'll be registered where I am now.

I didn't like it when my university's statue in front of the library had, among other things, an "Obama Biden 08" poster on it. I consider that just as much a disgrace as the time someone stuck a big W sticker on the front of my car in 2004. Particularly partisan supporters can be annoying... even if I happen to choose the same candidate as them.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I voted for Jian and the Star Dragon... oh wait...
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

The Star Dragon is totally not prepared to become President if Jian dies. He did say no thanks to that bridge to the Blue Star though.

Election is over, guys. Obama wins!

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

OOOOOBBAAAAAAMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Ok, now I'm happy. I can go to sleep.
Well, I could if I weren't so excited. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I have to say, that's a pretty gracious concession speech by McCain. I don't think I've watched one before, but I thought it was pretty classy.
-G1

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

Well I voted for my first time today, and the person I voted for didn't win. But I suppose it doesn't really matter. The point is I voted. :mrgreen:
I - am that is

nectarsis
Burg Farmer

Post by nectarsis »

3rd time voting for the prez 8)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

captaindax wrote:Well I voted for my first time today, and the person I voted for didn't win. But I suppose it doesn't really matter. The point is I voted. :mrgreen:
It happens. I voted my first time in 2004, and my guy didn't win. The important thing is that you voted like you said.

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

I second Kizyr's
OBAAAMAAAAAAAAAA
XD XD
I cried a lot during his acceptance speech... le sigh... I'm finally excited to be an American.
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote:I voted for Jian and the Star Dragon... oh wait...
I totally support this ticket.
captaindax wrote:Well I voted for my first time today, and the person I voted for didn't win. But I suppose it doesn't really matter. The point is I voted.
It's not the end of the world, there's always another election in four years.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Even though I now live in Wisconsin, I'm still a Hoosier at heart and all I can say is that it was awesome to see Obama carry Indiana.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Tonight we made history, perhaps far greater history than we even realize. Tonight, for the first time in my entire life, a speech from a President (elect) brought me to tears.

Tonight I saw the truth of his words. The truth of the words that brought him from a park in Illinois to the President of the United States.

Yes we can.

Tonight America proved how far it has come. I can only image how his family feels in the after, his grandmother who just passed away yesterday must be beaming there.

Tonight I felt something I haven't felt for eight years. I felt hopeful. I felt like we can overcome this. It won't happen overnight, and as Mr. Obama said in his speech it will be a steep climb.

But we can do this. We just proved we can.

Yes we can.

Thank you America. It's been a long time since I've felt faith in anything. It's been a long time since I've swelled up with this much pride to say that I am an American. And one day when I have kids of my own, I'll be able to tell them that I was here when we made history. I walked into a voting booth and voted for the new President. I can tell them that his skin color didn't matter to me, that it was the power of his words and his intellect that won my vote. I can tell them that I didn't judge him by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character.

Dr. Martin Luthur King Jr. would be proud. I'm sure he is.
-Nobi

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I heard Obama's speech just now, I'm actually starting to cry.

I voted several days ago. My county picked McCain over Obama with about 55% or 59% of the vote. Obama, however, went out to win colorado (which really took me by surprise). This was my first time voting, and unaffiliated I voted across the board. I think two democrates, a republican, and even a green party member for the house, senate, and congress. The other democrat was the now President-elect.

At work, my boss is a pretty religious man. He asked me who was I was voting for and I plainly told him he wouldn't like my answer. His response moved me, "Doesn't matter who you vote for, the important think is that you vote."

I may not always enjoy being an american, especially when I see other americans act the way they do. But now, I am so overwhelmed with joy...

I went out drinking with my sister's fiance(e?) to celebrate my birthday the day before. I got hammered pretty hard, but right in front of us was a massive flat screen TV with the election. When Obama hit 289 and McCain had well over 100 less, I was happy. Obama was the president, even though I could hardly stand and felt like I was going to fall out of my seat. I also missed his speech then since the TV was muted, not that I would remember much anyway. When Obama hit 338 votes, I expressed: "Holy ****! That's a landslide! And there are still 4 states to go!"

Right now, at 7:18am mountain time, there are still 3 states with 27 electorial votes to be finish processing. It looks like McCain will get 11 from one state, but Obama may get the other two for a total of 26 more votes.

On the flip side, my very religious father and step-dad barraged me with text messages and e-mails encouraging me to vote for McCain. Focus left us alone, for the most part. Some asked us if we voted, but they didn't ask us who for.

Personally, I think that it is far more patriotic to vote than it is who you vote for. I also think it is very unethical, un-american, and very disturbing the few people I came across that use the threat of violence if someone didn't vote for McCain. =(

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

phyco126 wrote:I heard Obama's speech just now, I'm actually starting to cry.

I voted several days ago. My county picked McCain over Obama with about 55% or 59% of the vote. Obama, however, went out to win colorado (which really took me by surprise). This was my first time voting, and unaffiliated I voted across the board. I think two democrates, a republican, and even a green party member for the house, senate, and congress. The other democrat was the now President-elect.

At work, my boss is a pretty religious man. He asked me who was I was voting for and I plainly told him he wouldn't like my answer. His response moved me, "Doesn't matter who you vote for, the important think is that you vote."

I may not always enjoy being an american, especially when I see other americans act the way they do. But now, I am so overwhelmed with joy...

I went out drinking with my sister's fiance(e?) to celebrate my birthday the day before. I got hammered pretty hard, but right in front of us was a massive flat screen TV with the election. When Obama hit 289 and McCain had well over 100 less, I was happy. Obama was the president, even though I could hardly stand and felt like I was going to fall out of my seat. I also missed his speech then since the TV was muted, not that I would remember much anyway. When Obama hit 338 votes, I expressed: "Holy ****! That's a landslide! And there are still 4 states to go!"

Right now, at 7:18am mountain time, there are still 3 states with 27 electorial votes to be finish processing. It looks like McCain will get 11 from one state, but Obama may get the other two for a total of 26 more votes.

On the flip side, my very religious father and step-dad barraged me with text messages and e-mails encouraging me to vote for McCain. Focus left us alone, for the most part. Some asked us if we voted, but they didn't ask us who for.

Personally, I think that it is far more patriotic to vote than it is who you vote for. I also think it is very unethical, un-american, and very disturbing the few people I came across that use the threat of violence if someone didn't vote for McCain. =(
Edit: Did you hear? Kenya decleared the day a public holiday in celebration of the win here in the US. I understand that Obama has deep roots there, but to see another nation celebrate like that in support of an election half the world away is truely awe inspiring.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Lucia/Gad is the real ticket! Vote for the forward thinking goddess with a vision for the future!

Oh, wait. Wrong vote.

Well, this is certainly a historic moment. More accurately, though, it is a moment in which the better nature of mankind triumphed.

The USA is not a bad country and never was. Even as later 2004, people thought George W. Bush was a good president. He didn't prove them completely wrong till after the fact, and this is the result of his breaking trust with the American People.

Hopefully the Republican Party will rediscover the words 'positive attitude' while they're licking their wounds.

I think it's a pity the Governator can't run for president. They have no one better over there, but the Founding Fathers put that 'natural born citizen' thing in there, and thus, it will never be. (Ammending the Constitution would be practically impossible, and the Democrats have no reason to ammend it so a Republican can run). Also, the wisdom of the Founding Father is generally for the best in the long run.

So they'll have to find some other guy for '12. Can't imagine who, though.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.