Mac laptops...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Mac laptops...

Post by GhaleonOne »

I figure at least a few people here have a Mac... I'm planning on getting a laptop, and have decided on one of two choices:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... co=MTE3MjA
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... co=MTIyMDM

Basically, either the high-end MacBook (the 13-inch black one) or the low-end MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.4GHz). What I'm wondering is whether the MacBook Pro is worth the extra money. My main usage will be web design (specifically Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash) and some large resolution photography work (again, Photoshop). There seems to be some nice features on the MacBook Pro, such as the glossy screen, the video card, etc. I will also definitely upgrade either machine to 4 gigs of ram from the start.

Just curious what others think. Also, those prices are higher than I'll be paying, as I'll be having my brother buy it under student discount (he'll be using it too, after all). So the price would be $1399 for the MacBook and $1799 for the MacBook Pro. It also comes with a free iPod. I already have one, but I can give that to my bro and get an iPod touch for free to play Vay. :P Plus, they have a rebate for a free $100 printer.
-G1

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Mac laptops...

Post by exigence »

i bought the 15 inch macbook pro last month and i love it, the switch from windows wasn't as bad as i thought and now i don't think i would even go back to windows. i went with the pro mostly because i will be working with audio recording and i need the extra power. i've got no experience in web design but i wouldn't imagine it being a problem if i can record 10 tracks with out mine slowing down and thats without the upgrade to 4 gigs of ram.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Independent of which model you choose, one thing you might want to consider: you can probably get the additional RAM cheaper through another outfit.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Aside from the overly high price of Apple name, the Macbook pro comes with a nVidia graphics processor over Intel integrated. I laugh at the prices, but if you don't care about money, go with the Macbook Pro. Integrated graphics by Intel is laughable, and that's me being nice about it.

Everything else seems to be nearly the same, so I'm not exactly sure why the Pro is more expensive than the macbook. Still, keep in mind that when you buy any PC/Laptop, don't buy for now, buy for the future.

I am also curios as to what Intel processor they use, exactly.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I should note that the last laptop I got a few months ago has an nVidia card. Integrated Intel cards are crap and since more people realize this now, fewer computers are coming out with them.

But, this is about mac laptops anyway. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Heh, I think my husband worked on those nVidia cards you're talking about. He was co-opted to work with the Mac group for several months last year (I think?), until the on Macbook Pro was announced or unveiled or whatever.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Art programs typically run better on a dedicated videocard than an on-board card. I got a MacBook without the Pro and I'm regretting it a bit. Sure it does what I need it to do, but it's occasionally sluggish.
-Nobi

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

xD Be thankful that Julie isn't around after all the -Dragon Diamond- you gave her about owning a Mac :P
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I did? I suggested she get one in the first place...
-G1

Parn
Reza Thief

Post by Parn »

Anytime you buy an Apple computer, buy the minimum amount of RAM possible. Apple rips people off big time with RAM upgrades. When I bought my refurbished iMac, I bought 4 GB of RAM for it through MacMall for just under $100, and that includes shipping costs. Installing it requires nothing more than a screwdriver to open a cover, and 5 minutes of your spare time.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Just what I said earlier!

And I'm sure there are more Mac users around. I've been using OS X on a daily basis for six years.

Also, Alun, your husband works for NVidia? Didn't have anything to do with that defective batch, I hope.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Huh. I thought that Apple started to solder it's RAM in place? Same with their batteries?

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

The battery on my macbook pro is removable. the RAM im not sure about i dont wanna open it up and void my warranty.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

phyco126 wrote:Huh. I thought that Apple started to solder it's RAM in place? Same with their batteries?
Both the RAM and battery are removable on both the MacBook and MacBook Pro. I've personally replaced the RAM in a MacBook and the batteries in a few of both.

Not sure about the MacBook Air, though.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

DevNall wrote:
phyco126 wrote:Huh. I thought that Apple started to solder it's RAM in place? Same with their batteries?
Both the RAM and battery are removable on both the MacBook and MacBook Pro. I've personally replaced the RAM in a MacBook and the batteries in a few of both.

Not sure about the MacBook Air, though.
What about warranties? Exigence mentioned it would void the warranty?

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

I was just assuming it would void the warranty. I'm not exactly sure but since most everything is void once you open it up there's a good chance.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

exigence wrote:I was just assuming it would void the warranty. I'm not exactly sure but since most everything is void once you open it up there's a good chance.
The RAM and battery are user serviceable parts. They pretty much pop out; you don't actually have to open up the case.

Details at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Oh YEAH, im going to 4 gigs, baby. unless of course there is something even bigger than 4 gigs of ram?

do i need to buy another 2 gig ram and use their combined force or do i need to get a 4 gig one.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

exigence wrote:Oh YEAH, im going to 4 gigs, baby. unless of course there is something even bigger than 4 gigs of ram?

do i need to buy another 2 gig ram and use their combined force or do i need to get a 4 gig one.
Well, this all depends on specifically which model you have...

For the maximum, you're limited by how much memory the Intel chipset can address. Depends on which revision you have, but for the Intel MacBook Pros, I believe the first was limited to 2GB, the second to 3GB, and the most recent two to 4.

Generally, the laptops have two slots for RAM. If both slots are occupied (and there's a good chance they are), you'll need to buy two 2GB sticks.

EDIT: You might want to check Crucial's Mac page.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

looks like iv got two slots with 1 gig card in each.