"jesus was black!" "nuh uh! he was white!&quo

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

"jesus was black!" "nuh uh! he was white!&quo

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

This irks the hell out of me. How can people argue about something so unimportant? i've seen people go back and forth with this one for quite a while.

why would any christian care about what color jesus was? personally, i wouldn't care if he was green with orange polka-dots.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Yeah, it's silly. Both are wrong anyway; he was neither. He was middle eastern. He was from Israel, remember?

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

yeah, but in an episode of Boondocks Huey said something about "the middle east has/had many people of african descent whom you would consider black."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

This quote from Dogma explains why I think that this is an important issue.

"White folks only want to hear the good -Dragon Diamond-: life eternal, a place in God's Heaven. But as soon as they hear they're getting this good -Dragon Diamond- from a black Jesus, they freak. And that, my friends, is called hypocrisy. A black man can steal your stereo, but he can't be your Savior. "

So basically, I agree with B_G.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Werefrog wrote:This quote from Dogma explains why I think that this is an important issue.

"White folks only want to hear the good -Dragon Diamond-: life eternal, a place in God's Heaven. But as soon as they hear they're getting this good -Dragon Diamond- from a black Jesus, they freak. And that, my friends, is called hypocrisy. A black man can steal your stereo, but he can't be your Savior. "

So basically, I agree with B_G.
Love that quote.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, it's a great movie. I can never decide which Kevin Smith movie I like better: Chasing Amy or Dogma.

Also, that Boondocks episode was a great one as well. What was Huey's play called? I'm thinking something like "The Adventures of Black Jesus." Am I right?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Well, I think it's important to recognize, for those who hold it to be of some importance, that Jesus wasn't of the ... race we often imagine him.

But then, as you say, we should also recognize that his physical traits don't really matter. Jesus is the Son of God - if He's a certain skin color, or eye color, or what not, it does not mean God favors them. That is, God's race does not make him more relevant to us.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Boris Moskovitz
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Boris Moskovitz »

Jesus was Asian.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Boris Moskovitz wrote:Jesus was Asian.
Asian in the British sense of the word where Asia includes the Middle East? If so, yes, he was.

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

i'd love it if jesus were black. then my relatives would have to shut up when i date outside the white lines.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

meg wrote:i'd love it if jesus were black. then my relatives would have to shut up when i date outside the white lines.
i figured you'd be the type to tell any member of your family to shut their mouths. especially when it comes to that monumental level of ignorance.

if my parents or family gave me hell about dating outside of my race, i'd pop them in their mouths.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Thankfully I've been raised in a racism-free zone. My parents, my dad in particular, are probably some of the most reasonable and forward-thinking people in my life, and I'm eternally grateful for that.

Wizard27
Lann Fisherman

Post by Wizard27 »

Boris Moskovitz wrote:Jesus was Asian.
Jesus was a Nazerine Jew! His parents were of the house of David. That is what I read. As to whether his skin was white or black, who really knows.

Old Jericho
Reza Thief

Post by Old Jericho »

Jesus probably wasn't black, but Simon of Cyrene was.

So that means there are more black people in the Bible than white people.

Actually, God's probably white...
This is my signature. It is a work of art.

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
meg wrote:i'd love it if jesus were black. then my relatives would have to shut up when i date outside the white lines.
i figured you'd be the type to tell any member of your family to shut their mouths. especially when it comes to that monumental level of ignorance.

if my parents or family gave me hell about dating outside of my race, i'd pop them in their mouths.
i am. but my family's so weirdly backhanded about race, that when it comes up, it's sort of a shock. i had a latino boyfriend for years. i got no guff about it until after we broke up--and then it was this really bizarre "well i hope you learned your lesson" lecture. followed immediately by "you know i want blue-eyed grandchildren."
Old Jericho wrote: Actually, God's probably white...
honestly, i think god probably more closely resembles a fibonacci sequence.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I'm going with logic, here.

He was from Israel, so He probably looked like any other Israeli.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

wow, meg....wow. are you the only good apple in the family tree? tell your mother that, if she can afford it, after you give her a couple of mulatto grandkids that she can buy them blue contacts if she likes.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Not necessarily. Keep in mind, many Jews migrated from Israel when the Romans expelled them in 70AD. Many went to Europe and just returned last century. The color of their skin is likely considerably lighter than it was 2000 years ago.
-G1

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:wow, meg....wow. are you the only good apple in the family tree? tell your mother that, if she can afford it, after you give her a couple of mulatto grandkids that she can buy them blue contacts if she likes.
mmm. people are complicated. my mom is mildly batshit, but she's generally good people, so go figure. she was nothing but sweet to that one boyfriend--hence my shock when she lectured me afterwards.

i'm sure if i broke up with my fiance today, i'd be getting the "i told you so" on dating non-christians tomorrow.

but to be fair, she also told me not to date artists (i am one), musicians, or rich boys.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:
Not necessarily. Keep in mind, many Jews migrated from Israel when the Romans expelled them in 70AD. Many went to Europe and just returned last century. The color of their skin is likely considerably lighter than it was 2000 years ago.
Yeah, the appearance of Jews now greatly depends on where in the worldwide diaspora they're from. Israeli Jews are mostly folks who have moved in in the last century from different parts of the world--the country has a wide mixture, but a large number are Eastern European Jews (Poland, former USSR, etc.). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)