New "Reality" TV - Contestants compete for kidney

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
JWL
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by JWL »

NallOne wrote:I think you all missed the point. The show (while a hoax) wasn't to toy with people's emotions. It was to open people's eyes to organ donation.
I guess we have to be bashed over the head with these messages nowadays. They can't just say "Please consider organ donation".

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

NallOne wrote:I think you all missed the point. The show (while a hoax) wasn't to toy with people's emotions. It was to open people's eyes to organ donation.
I highly doubt a horrible and disgusting hoax is the only way to raise awareness for Organ Donation. Notice how most people in this thread still maintained their focus on how trashy Reality TV is even in light of the fact it was a hoax? That shows how ineffective that campaign was, people came out of it more concerned over Reality TV than organ donation.

The foundation that sponsored this hoax missed their own point.
exigence wrote:As long as there are people ignorant enough to watch garbage it will always be there, I bet the people who produce the shows love it because they dont have to spend any money on actors.
It happens all the time, broadcast companies intentionally send strong new shows like Jericho and Arrested Development opposite Uber-Strong and established hits like American Idol, Monday Night Football, The Simpsons etc to basically be killed by the shows that run in the same timeslot on other stations. Or they end up putting it on at a night and time that has lowest TV viewer turnout like Friday Night. Then they say "Well the show wasn't returning strong ratings, so we are going to be ending its run this season." Meanwhile they just intentionally killed a good show just to make room for a reality show that will gater similar ratings for probably less than half the production costs.
Nall.TWK wrote:Pretty much because they aren't actors. they just get some people behind a camera, they compete and even fight with each other over a prize, or a career, or something else, and all of them but one get sent home with nothing. it's absolutely pointless.
Many of the "feuds" that we the viewer see on those shows are fabricated, it has been exposed by former contestants numerous times. All they do is show something good happening to a certain contestant, cut to another contestant with a grim look on their face and add in some suspensful music and boom, insta-feud. And they will always show a persons respective nemesis right after something good or bad happens to them with the appropriate look lifted from any number of previous shots and just edit it in there. To us, the viewer it might as well be real.
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.

RPGMan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by RPGMan »

DeathBeforeDenial wrote: Many of the "feuds" that we the viewer see on those shows are fabricated, it has been exposed by former contestants numerous times. All they do is show something good happening to a certain contestant, cut to another contestant with a grim look on their face and add in some suspensful music and boom, insta-feud. And they will always show a persons respective nemesis right after something good or bad happens to them with the appropriate look lifted from any number of previous shots and just edit it in there. To us, the viewer it might as well be real.
Two words to that.... Jerry Springer :D All I can say to that show is omfg. I am surprised it lasted so long, well I am really not. With how people are but meh.
Success is measured not by the number of trials you overcome, but the difference you can make with what you have learned from them.~rpgman~
A single rose cna be my garde, a single friend my world ~I dunno~