A Real One-Eyed Kitten?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.

Do you believe the one-eyed kitten is for real?

Absolutely!
46%
I'm not really sure...
46%
The is OBVIOUSLY a hoax!
8%

Total votes: 13

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

A Real One-Eyed Kitten?

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Hi all,

wow, I'm still not sure if this is for real. Anyone heard about a kitten born with just one eye and no nose? Here is the article and below that I've pasted the url to the picture I saved from the article.

One-Eyed Cat Had Medical Condition
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:58 PM EST
The Associated Press
By TERRENCE PETTY

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A photo of a one-eyed kitten named Cy drew more than a little skepticism when it turned up on various Web sites, but medical authorities have a name for the bizarre condition.

"Holoprosencephaly" causes facial deformities, according to the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke, part of the National Institutes of Health. In the worst cases, a single eye is located where the nose should be, according to the institute's Web site.

Traci Allen says the kitten she named Cy, short for Cyclops, was born the night of Dec. 28 with the single eye and no nose.

"You don't expect to see something like that," the 35-year-old Allen said by telephone from her home in Redmond in central Oregon.

Allen said she stayed up all night with the deformed kitten on her recliner, feeding Cy a liquid formula through a syringe. She says she cared for the kitten the next day as well, until it died that evening.

Allen had taken digital pictures that she provided to The Associated Press. Some bloggers have questioned the authenticity of the photo distributed on Jan. 6.

AP regional photo editor Tom Stathis said he took extensive steps to confirm the one-eyed cat was not a hoax. Stathis had Allen ship him the memory card that was in her camera. On the card were a number of pictures — including holiday snapshots, and four pictures of a one-eyed kitten. The kitten pictures showed the animal from different perspectives.

Fabricating those images in sequence and in the camera's original picture format, from the varying perspectives, would have been virtually impossible, Stathis said.

Meanwhile, Cy the one-eyed cat may be dead, but it has not left the building.

Allen said she's keeping the cat's corpse in her freezer for now, in case scientists would like it for research.

She said one thing's for certain: "I'm not going to put it on eBay."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/ ... eyecat.jpg

At least she's not going to try to sell it on eBay. I swear, the things people try to sell on there... ^^; If this is for real, I feel so sad for the poor baby :(

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Looks like an alien. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Now they can do the Odyssey with only cats!

Odysseus washes up, ragged and sooooo cute on the shore.

Odysseus encountering the Cyclops, a gigantic cat with one eye, that plays with the smaller cats like they're rats.

OMG killing the suitors! Washing Odysseus's paws and finding the scar! Going to the underworld!

More seriously, poor cat. :/
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

punkabof1
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by punkabof1 »

It looks like a baby monkey (albino) crossed with a one eye alien.

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Wow... I don't know what to think about that. I mean it is a possibility but I have never heard of anything like this before. A cyclops cat... that's an interesting thought for sure.

SilverOcean
Lyton Singer

Post by SilverOcean »

Ekk! Not another one! A few months back I remember reading a year (two year?) old topic about a one eyed kitten that was stillborn. (The topic also talked about a one eyed goat and one eyed human.) Unfortunately I can't remember the forum the topic was on.

If you think that's weird then you've never seen Five Toes, the two-tongued cat.

http://www.videovat.com/videos/621/two-tongue-cat.aspx

~Back on topic~

Anyway I think that, that defect is called Cyclopia or something.

I found a picture of the goat!

http://www.cybergoat.com/cyclopia/cyclopia.htm

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

The one-eyed cat is without question the cutest example of a severe form of holoprosencephaly I've seen so far. My (morbid) fascination with rare genetic disorders compelled me to do a little research on holoprosencephaly and cyclopia after reading this thread. The former does not necessarily lead to the latter, but since holoprosencephaly is an anomaly in the formation of the brain, a variety of deformities of the face and head can result.

Some cases of holoprosencephaly are linked to a gene named, oddly enough, 'Sonic Hedgehog'. The plant mentioned on the link about the one-eyed goat is known to disrupt the Sonic Hedgehog gene.
「まあいいけど。」

Silentcrisis
BANNED

Post by Silentcrisis »

that is the craziest cat i have ever seen

joker_mausland
Pao Hunter

Post by joker_mausland »

I'm trying to imagine a lunar dragon with one eye.

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

That is weirdest frigg'n thing I have ever seen in my entire life. It looks more like a gorilla than a kitten, frankly.

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Poor baby... no wonder it died, no nose... probably had a really hard time breathing.

;_; I would've taken care of it... Poor thing... T_T
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~