Lunar iOS no longer available [UPDATE: it's back now]

For discussion of the iOS platform version of Lunar.
Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar iOS no longer available [UPDATE: it's back now]

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

http://toucharcade.com/2015/08/18/lunar ... ay-pulled/

I checked and Vay *IS* still available, that part is incorrect as of this writing. But no Lunar. I'm more fond of the SEGA CD/PSP (and currently playing the PS1 version) versions of L1, but still I wonder what happened? More Studio Alex/GameArts legal trouble? Maybe they'll reupload it with more features?

Leo
BANNED

Re: Lunar iOS no longer available

Post by Leo »

Isn't the iOS version like the PSP one instead of the PS1 version?

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Leo wrote:Isn't the iOS version like the PSP one instead of the PS1 version?
I never bought it but from what I've read online it has the PS1 graphics with the PSP voice acting. I like the isometric design on PSP, but love the original (SEGA CD/PS1) voices more. To be fair the iOS version DOES have the PSP remastered audio, which is good. But I find the PSP version better than iOS since PSP has enhanced audio and graphics, but iOS doesn't have improved graphics.

Despite not playing this version, I was just posting as no one had mentioned it yet. And with that GameArts survey earlier this year, I do more Google news searches for Lunar, which is how I found the article.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's correct. The iOS version is mainly the PSX version (SSSC), but used voices and item/spell/location names from SSH (though you can select Japanese voices also). Mostly unobtrusive outside of cutscenes (which are also subbed with the SSH dialogue) and the two vocal songs, but there's occasional discrepancy between in-game dialogue text and item and location names (e.g., people refer to Caldor Isle but the save file calls it Honmel, etc.).

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Word is it was a glitch and it will be available again shortly.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

@Alunissage Oh I never knew iOS version had Japanese voices too. I have only heard a few of the Japanese cutscenes on Youtube, but generally they are well voiced. For Ghaleon specifically, the one I like more was Rokuro Naya, partly because his voice sounded more like John Truitt than Kiyoyuki Yanada. Looking at behindthevoiceactors.com , Naya also Voiced Shinobu Sensui in the Japanese version of Yu Yu Hakusho (on of my favorite anime), so it's now wonder I like him. But the same site says Yanada voiced the PSP Ghaleon, and I'm assuming the iOS, so it's a moot point. Not that Yanada is bad, but I like Naya more.

@DevNall Hopefully. I just saw something about that in comment section of the article.

To clarify: when I said I liked the PSP "Audio" more than the PS1 I specifically meant the music.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:To clarify: when I said I liked the PSP "Audio" more than the PS1 I specifically meant the music.
I feel bad for saying this but it never occurred to me that you might possibly mean the voices. I generally chalk it up to being used to the SSSC voices, as I have no doubt that XSeed put respectable effort into selecting their VAs. They just mostly haven't worked for me.

The Japanese voices were added to SSST at some point after the initial launch, IIRC. I really need to get back to my playthrough. My obsessive note-taking makes me a very slow gamer. But being able to take screenshots easily is awesome.

I do wonder if there's an upper limit on the amount of saves. I have a whole lot of them.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Given that I'm not a fan of playing games on phones AND I greatly dislike the voices in the PSP version, I'm indifferent.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Lunar iOS no longer available [UPDATE: it's back now]

Post by Alunissage »

I edited the post topic to indicate this. Thanks.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Lunar iOS no longer available [UPDATE: it's back now]

Post by jay_are »

Trying not to make a thread just for a question, but... did something happen to the bluetooth controller recognition in the latest update? I can't make any bluetooth controller work with Lunar SSST, but they work with other games that support controllers.
(I tried practically all settings inside Lunar as well as restarting phone.)