Lunar Touch for iOS releasing this week.

For discussion of the iOS platform version of Lunar.
Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Lunar Touch for iOS releasing this week.

Post by Aaron »

I just got it for my iPad. Voices and music are from the PSP

Some buttons are redundant like adjust on the party formations.

Sad to say I am genuinely dissapointed in the quality of the interface. Everything clashes. Animation is choppy while moving around town and battling.
Last edited by Aaron on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Aaron wrote:Also the app is horrible. Lots of bugs. When entering the party menu the magic try's to automatically use itself. Some buttons are redundant like adjust on the party formations.
I haven't seen that behavior, and I know the game was put through a billion QA cycles. I'll PM you for more details if that's alright.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

My mistake I misunderstood the default screen when tapping on a character.

But I might be having a related problem. When talking to anyone/thing it seems to double tap. Meaning I skip the first page of dialogue.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Waiting for it to load onto my iPhone. I suppose while I wait I can go start the iPad install.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

A weird combination of SSSC's nonspoken dialogue and SSH's audio... and SSH's item and magic descriptions too. I would guess that since everything else is SSSC directly (maps, scenes, etc) they didn't want to deal with the various changes in scenes in SSH and stuck with the SSSC script, but either couldn't get the rights to the voices or wanted to use the more recent ones. I haven't even talked to Alex's parents yet, but when I get to the Dragon Cave it'll be interesting to see whether they also used SSH's names for the monsters. I'm sure they used the stats, rather than the WD-tweaked ones.

Actually, using the WD script is kind of interesting. Some issues XSeed had with adapting WD's script is that WD also made edits to some of the scenes (more or fewer dialogue boxes, changes in character portrait) that XS wasn't able to duplicate in SSH. Actually, the first scene where that was an issue was meeting Luna, so I suppose I should stop typing and go do that. :P

Edit: Okay, maybe there wasn't anything odd about that scene and dialogue lengths. I need to look up my correspondence with Jessica @ XSeed.

Other things... sound effects seem to be from SSSC, though possibly I just don't remember them from HSS. Well, I know I don't remember them, but I certainly remember these as being specific to SSSC.

Can use the Ocarina. I apparently never wrote down whether this is possible in HSS or SSH. Oh, yes, I noted while playing the HSS demo that all it played was the title screen music. Can anyone confirm that this was also the case in SSH? Anyway, the thing to note here is that one of the tracks is named Magic Emperor rather than Magic Emperor YouKnowWho. I guess someone was actually paying attention enough to take that spoiler out. Come to think of it, I notice now that the tracks are numbered and some of them are missing, presumably because of having voices in them? While I inexplicably do not seem to have a list of names from SSSC and therefore can't check, the tracknames otherwise look familiar, except I don't remember the name Mourning Bell.

Stats are identified as in SSSC, not SSH (e.g., Attack rather than STR, Magic En rather than Resistance). Spelled out except for that latter abbreviation, and look similar to EBC, showing the base stat and augmented stat. I like that; it makes keeping track much easier. Unsurprisingly, no changes from stats in other games.

Edit 2: Did find the movement to be rather jerky after a while, though it was fairly smooth initially. (This is all on the iPhone; I'll try it on the iPad later.) I found when I tried to make this edit that the house wireless was temporarily down, so I wonder if my phone was devoting its brainpower to trying to reconnect -- but the phone is on the other house wireless, which isn't the one my husband was fiddling with. Dunno.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I'm enjoying it so far, but this is the first app I've ever purchased where the bar at the top feels intrusive in landscape orientation. It's nice knowing the time and battery level, but I want that little strip of my screen for the game. I think it might be the way they made the background transparent so you can see the game through it and visually it looks like it's covering it instead of being positioned above it. I do love the Lunar-like ui buttons in portrait orientation, and for $7 this is a nice port.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Well, I can confirm that Lunar Touch (or Lunar SSST as it's called) also works with Ipod Touch if there are those who wanted Lunar Touch, but don't have an Iphone or Ipad. I really don't have time to fully mess with it right now because I have a Japanese test to study for, but I at least opened the app for a few minutes to look at it. Did it have to be the new voices? I mean, I don't mind most of the new voices...it's mainly Nall's I can't stand, but yeah.

This really is a weird mixture of SSH and SSSC. I'm pretty sure the sound effects are from SSSC as well, but I haven't touched SSH in a really long time.

So now we have Lunar SSST. Let's add that to TSS, SSSC, LL, and SSH. We're getting a lot of different Lunar abbreviations to use now, lol.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Yep. The game is the PS1 version, the audio is the PSP version.
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The audio and the item and spell descriptions, as I noted above. Which continues to be odd to me.

Nall's voice irked me in the opening, but it's hard to remember when I've had a more negative reaction to a character's voice than when I heard Luna's in her introduction. Still sounds completely unlikeable to me, from a character I generally DO like. But I had similar reactions to many of Growlanser II's voices; this is not a WD partisan thing. And I'll leave it at that for now, so as to not emulate commenting behavior I dislike in others.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Dark_Fairy wrote:So now we have Lunar SSST. Let's add that to TSS, SSSC, LL, and SSH. We're getting a lot of different Lunar abbreviations to use now, lol.
Don't forget SSS and HoSS in Japan!
Alunissage wrote:I'm sure they used the stats, rather than the WD-tweaked ones.
I think, actually, some of the stats may be the WD versions.
Alunissage wrote:Oh, yes, I noted while playing the HSS demo that all it played was the title screen music.
This makes sense, considering a lot of the assets were stripped out of the demo, so it was a smaller download.
Alunissage wrote:Stats are identified as in SSSC, not SSH (e.g., Attack rather than STR, Magic En rather than Resistance). Spelled out except for that latter abbreviation, and look similar to EBC, showing the base stat and augmented stat. I like that; it makes keeping track much easier. Unsurprisingly, no changes from stats in other games.
A deliberate choice, I think -- I know I much prefer one screen with all the stat updates (in EBC) having to go through ten screens (in SSSC) each telling me one stat during level up.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

According to the app store, the game should have a Japanese language option. Can anyone confirm this?
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The only options I've been able to find are in the settings menu: shading and autoresume. That's just on the phone, though; haven't had a chance to look at the iPad one yet.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Per discussion on another forum, right now, it's all or nothing -- you can change your device's audio language preferences, but it applies to more than just Lunar. There was an option to change this piecemeal but it was disabled in the shipping version for some unspecified reason and will be re-enabled in a forthcoming minor update.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

DevNall wrote:Per discussion on another forum, right now, it's all or nothing -- you can change your device's audio language preferences, but it applies to more than just Lunar. There was an option to change this piecemeal but it was disabled in the shipping version for some unspecified reason and will be re-enabled in a forthcoming minor update.
If I can play the game with Japanese voices I'll turn the volume on my iPhone back up. :lol:
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Indeed. I know it probably seems shallow to some, but I'd much rather hear voices in a language I don't understand than voices I dislike in a language I do understand. (The different language generally seems to mask characterization for me, so it doesn't set off my "But s/he's not like that!!!" triggers.) At least when it comes to this game there aren't THAT many voiced scenes and I know when to expect them.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Took a short vid for the curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MPQCDFmwoA
-Nobi

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Well, apparently my iPod Touch is a first gen, so I'm out on playing it for the time being.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:Took a short vid for the curious.

Holding a camera and playing a touch device at the same time? That looks kind of awkward!

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

DevNall wrote:
Nobiyuki77 wrote:Took a short vid for the curious.

Holding a camera and playing a touch device at the same time? That looks kind of awkward!
It wasn't easy to do, believe me. I didn't know how to take footage any other way though. >>;
-Nobi

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:According to the app store, the game should have a Japanese language option. Can anyone confirm this?
Y'know I haven't seen a single thing about this in Japanese media. Is it even being released in this market? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)