5 Princes of the Black Star

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Angelalex242
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

5 Princes of the Black Star

Post by Angelalex242 »

Did anyone ever figure out if these guys were related to Zophar somehow?

What they change Xiphos into certainly looks like something Zophar would dream up...
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: 5 Princes of the Black Star

Post by Alunissage »

Crud, thanks for reminding me. I had a bunch of thoughts about that as I was playing that section that I never wrote up and have now probably forgotten. I'll have to replay it and see if they come back to mind. I don't think we had much discussion on it here, strangely enough, though I might have missed it.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I'm sorry if this topic is too outdated, but I decided to start Harmony again today and was like (Oh yeah...Black star...I forgot all about that) I also first thought Zophar as well ^^;;; Any ideas? Background?
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Omegazero108
Nanza Bandit

Post by Omegazero108 »

Okay... bumping this for my own question

What all do we know about the Princes of the Black Star and the Black Star itself? I get that the Princes are some raw elemental power concentrated into the forms we see in the Dyne segment at the start of Silver Star Harmony. But is that about it?

And recalling Ghaleon's comment about the course of the Black Star after you beat Eiphel, creates the implication that the Black Star itself is a celestial object of some kind that passes Lunar every so often. This seem about right?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

^ Can't speak to the rest, but the last part sounds right. Ghaleon mentions that the Black Star will collide with Lunar. That makes it something from space - anything from an asteroid to a planet. Somehow that gets averted; AFAIK, it's never clarified how in the game. (Big caveat: I never finished SSH, as my copy was glitched at the Blue Dragon.)

Side note: Is there any chance that the Black Star stuff intersects with the original TSS idea that Dyne had to fight an insane Black Dragon? I hadn't thought of the coincidence before, but there may be a through-line between Black Dragon and Black Star.

Second side note: I could also see those first minutes of SSH being a little loose story-wise, since it turns out to be a story Alex's dad is telling the kids. It doesn't seem like Lunar would make Alex's dad an intentionally unreliable storyteller, but it's always possible he didn't have all the details, or quite the right details.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ugh, I still need to finish that in English. I didn't really feel that the the Black Star stuff intersected with the idea of Dyne fighting the insane Black Dragon, but there's a book in Damon's spire that says the Four Heroes arose to save Althena from a demigod, after her human form had grown weak. Or something like that.

I didn't think of the Black Star as being a literal celestial body, but reading my transcription of the dialogue, Ghaleon does refer to it that way. It would be interesting to find out what it says in Japanese.

Omegazero108
Nanza Bandit

Post by Omegazero108 »

Alunissage wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:36 am Ugh, I still need to finish that in English. I didn't really feel that the the Black Star stuff intersected with the idea of Dyne fighting the insane Black Dragon, but there's a book in Damon's spire that says the Four Heroes arose to save Althena from a demigod, after her human form had grown weak. Or something like that.
So the new Dyne segment might've been inspired by that particular book... Interesting thought
I didn't think of the Black Star as being a literal celestial body, but reading my transcription of the dialogue, Ghaleon does refer to it that way. It would be interesting to find out what it says in Japanese.
I'm curious myself now thanks to you.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sometime in the next year I'd love to do a replay through all of Lunar from start-to-finish, I think it's been at least 8 years since I last played a Lunar game. Also even now my Japanese is far better than it was the last time I played any of the Japanese games. (Still remembering how in the time between my first and second plays of Walking School Lunar, 25 years ago, I'd misread "Blue Dragon" as "Star Dragon" and that worked its way into v1 of the walkthrough...)

Anyway, as I best recall, the entire "Black Star" angle was... really underdeveloped. As in it felt so tacked on that I'm not even sure what was meant by it -- an asteroid, the Sun, the Sagittarius A supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way, etc. -- and outside of the new prologue section, I don't remember it being fleshed out anywhere else.
~Kizyr (they|them)