Lifetime Lunar fan and "In my opinion."

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
EternalDragonX
Nanza Bandit
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lifetime Lunar fan and "In my opinion."

Post by EternalDragonX »

Silver Star Harmony was truly magnificant and in my opinion the best Lunar of them all.The graphics were astounding and perfect for the Lunar Franchise, I really hope we can see a sequel for it or for the ps vita. I just hope they stick to the roots of a 2d beautiful and artistic game with the most important part being the battle system needs to stay the same. I've never been so happy in my life as when I saw my range or number of attacks increase per a level up. Save for one part of the game which was very anti climactic. When Ghaleon betrayed Quark and Alex I expected much more voice acting. I was severly dissapointed with that scene as its one of the most important ones in the game.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Lifetime Lunar fan and "In my opinion."

Post by Aaron »

EternalDragonX wrote:I just hope they stick to the roots of a 2d beautiful and artistic game with the most important part being the battle system needs to stay the same.
I'm not so sure. I think that if 3d were done right it can look great. I think that some of the current gen Dragon Ball Z games and Naruto games look amazing in 3d. Almost exactly like playing an episode. If Lunar could copy that art style I think 3d would be the way to go. And to be honest, 3d is the next leap Lunar needs to make. 2d is great, but its a bit too nostalgic. Lunar needs to move on.

***Also***
This L:SSH was awful. Its colloquialism was like taking nails and grinding them across a chalk board. But to each his own.

Lishy
Lyton Singer

Post by Lishy »

I actually love the graphics.

I am simply just upset that they also dumbed down the map design, and the tiny things, like spell animations taking too long with unnecessary segments, and monster respawns.

Fixing those things would not be hard in my opinion, if they ever do another game like SSH. The resources are amazing and maps look GORGEOUS! Unfortunately, they did not polish other things like they did the graphics and music...

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Yes, Aaron, because the last time Luanr tried something new (Dragon Song) it worked SO well.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Lishy
Lyton Singer

Post by Lishy »

Actually, from what I hear, the true reason Lunar DS failed is not because they "tried something new", but because they ditched the original script and put a lazy effort into the battle system.

It's mostly flawed from a design standpoint than anything, and you don't need a big budget to have decent design. Quite the contrary, Lunar DS had AMAZING resources! I mean, just listen to the music! And the graphics are sweet! Which makes me wonder what in the world they were thinking when they screwed things over!?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sort of... I agree that Lunar DS clearly had good technical resources in it -- I still really like the music from the game. They didn't ditch an original script; the problem (with the story) was transitioning from the storyboard to a script in the first place. Though even if they got that aspect right, the battle, inventory, and magic systems were so awful that it took everything else down.

Even then... The fact that they fell through in so many areas kind of shows the level of effort they're willing to invest in something "new". KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Lishy
Lyton Singer

Post by Lishy »

Well wasn't the team who did DS a completely different batch of people?

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

^ Depends on what you mean by a different batch of people. DS was developed by the same company that did SSS and SSH, and there's a lot of similarity between DS and SSH in terms of visual presentation. Like over-long monster animations... But also a lot of good things.
「まあいいけど。」

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

I have always enjoyed Lunar DS's battle system. But the story was weak and so was the translation. There were many grammatical and spelling errors throughout that game.

Also 3d isn't new. It's standard now. Only niche games do 2d. But I think there is a strong argument that Jrpgs are niche including Lunar.

Lishy
Lyton Singer

Post by Lishy »

Lunar is THE embodiment of classic RPG. Either it should use 2d sprites in 3d environments like Grandia and Xenogears, or it should remain completely 2d!

I kinda enjoyed Lunar DS too, somewhat... Well, the cards at least. There's just something fun about killing foes to steal their abilities. I would love to see that in another Lunar game.

My problems with the battle system were the lack of spells, the WEIRD screen transition for big foes (Red dragon has a super long neckamrite?), not being able to select your target, lack of strategy (May be attributed to the lack of spells), having to blow into the mic to run (a gimmick), and the fact many foes can DESTROY your hard-earned equipment after grinding hours in the job system!

But I did like how the game gives you a choice for guaranteed items after a battle, or experience. If it was me though, I'd make it more of a scale thing where you still get both, but in Virtue Mode you simply gain less items.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

If Lunar was ever given the time of day on a console it would either have to be as visually amazing as Ni no Kuni or done in 3D like Grandia with Toshiyuki Kubooka doing all of the character design and animation. Unfortunately we're all going to be dead and GameArts will be out of business because they don't want to take a risk with anything other than handheld crap.

Lishy
Lyton Singer

Post by Lishy »

It's a shame we wont see more.

S.ninja
Red Dragon Priest

Post by S.ninja »

I just found the battles WAY to easy. I can just see borgan's fight now...1 hit kill and Ruby will still say that he was hard to kill(and mean it)

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Silver Phoenix wrote:If Lunar was ever given the time of day on a console it would either have to be as visually amazing as Ni no Kuni or done in 3D like Grandia with Toshiyuki Kubooka doing all of the character design and animation. Unfortunately we're all going to be dead and GameArts will be out of business because they don't want to take a risk with anything other than handheld crap.
Handhelds are amazing because of keeping 2D alive. Thanks to them, we can continue to get SHMUPs and SOTN-style Castlevania games.