Cutscene Animation Fail

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Cutscene Animation Fail

Post by Shiva Indis »

I love the animation in SSS/SSH. I love it a lot. But there are some facts I have to face: the animators were new at this digital animation thing and they didn't have their technique down. The resolution is LOW. The low quality recording on Saturn and Playstation disguised a number of mistakes that are much more obvious on PSP (or PC). And sometimes, there were even sucky key animators.

I'm sure she could hover a few inches off the ground if she wanted to, but why??
Lunar.png
Lunar.png (454.81 KiB) Viewed 36954 times
Dyne must have an interesting view in this shot... :P This is one is pretty easy to miss, actually.
Lunar03.png
Lunar03.png (526.84 KiB) Viewed 36954 times
I hate not including girls' faces in pans, but I wanted to get a frame where she was nice and opaque. I know people have noticed this one, it's pretty blatant.
Lunar02.png
Lunar02.png (461.94 KiB) Viewed 36954 times
Animal Cruelty!
Lunar05.png
Lunar05.png (397.13 KiB) Viewed 36954 times
「まあいいけど。」

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Cutscene Animation Fail

Post by Sonic# »

I'm sure she could hover a few inches off the ground if she wanted to, but why??
I... I'd caught this in a prior playthrough. Wow. I just assumed she did it to be evil, powerful, and not half Ghaleon's height. Or, more likely, I didn't think about it much. If you could magically float, wouldn't you?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I can tell you that the "wardrobe malfunction" one likely isn't, just an artifact of the sepia toning. I've seen frames of that scene in the original color and her dress is definitely pink.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Sonic# wrote:If you could magically float, wouldn't you?
Yes. But I'd want one of Lucia's magic bubbles. ^_^
Alunissage wrote:I can tell you that the "wardrobe malfunction" one likely isn't, just an artifact of the sepia toning. I've seen frames of that scene in the original color and her dress is definitely pink.
In every shot except the one above her midriff is unmistakably pink, but in the case above the colorist used her skin tones instead of the appropriate pinks. Dyne's helmet blocks her torso almost completely for most of the shot, so it ends up being a pretty negligible error, actually.

Correct coloring. You may note the bad cutout lines on her hair, too. :wink:
Lunar04.png
Lunar04.png (446.75 KiB) Viewed 36904 times
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ah, right -- I didn't realize you were referring only to that scene. I keep forgetting that things like that are done individually, rather than, say, an item name being messed up in the data means every occurrence will be wrong. But then, I'd be perfectly happy without animated cutscenes. :P

chiiruchan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by chiiruchan »

:oops: I....I never noticed any of this before. I am such a doofus. And worse thing... I'm an artist. I should have a good eye.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Pretty interesting. I myself never really took note, never really looking for anything like that. Good catches.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

The ones up top aren't the only errors I found, but I've already played my best hand. The good mistakes are all at the end of the game, like the staff ran out of time/budget/attention for correcting the animation... :wink:

The low resolution rears it's pixely head. This image of Luna pulls back in a long, long continuous shot, so it's not surprising that it starts out overly zoomed in. It would be okay if the contrast wasn't so high, but...
Lunar08.png
Lunar08.png (246.56 KiB) Viewed 36814 times
This is really minor and actually gets corrected a after a little while. But I noticed it, and it looks kinda funny. I think the hairline looks off, but that's a different issue.
Lunar06.png
Lunar06.png (381.98 KiB) Viewed 36814 times
Way off-model. Kyle's head is too big and his expression is too dopey, even for a 'But I just killed that guy!' look. A lot of the line art in this cutscene (Luna raises the Fortress) is below par, actually. There are a handful of really good drawings (all of Luna) and the rest seem oversimplified at best.
Lunar09.png
Lunar09.png (406.39 KiB) Viewed 36814 times
For comparison's sake, a better Kyle profile. Goodness, he's a big boy. Meatheads like this are rare in Japanese games today, aren't they?
Lunar10.png
Lunar10.png (586.27 KiB) Viewed 36814 times
「まあいいけど。」

Solidor
Burg Farmer

Post by Solidor »

So, they probably just upscaled the videos from the Saturn and Playstation releases rather than re-edit from the original?

chiiruchan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by chiiruchan »

I didn't notice... but did they fix any of it in Silver Star Harmony? The screen was really small.... :?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

No, it wasn't fixed. That's what prompted the original post -- it was less noticeable in the console versions, but more obvious on the PSP and PC ones.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Solidor wrote:So, they probably just upscaled the videos from the Saturn and Playstation releases rather than re-edit from the original?
The director of HSS mentioned that they went back to the animation studio and re-digitized the animation from their masters, so the quality is much better than the Playstation version. But the closest there is to error correction is more censorship of Kyle's ass. :P
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:The director of HSS mentioned that they went back to the animation studio and re-digitized the animation from their masters, so the quality is much better than the Playstation version. But the closest there is to error correction is more censorship of Kyle's ass. :P
You and I have very different definitions of the word "correction", it seems. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

You and I have very different definitions of the word "correction", it seems. KF
From the OED:

Shiva Indis - "The action of correcting or setting right; substitution of what is right for what is erroneous in (a book, etc.); amendment. Hence, loosely, pointing out or marking of errors (in order to their removal)."

Kizyr - "The counteracting or neutralizing of the ill effect of (something hurtful or unpleasant)."

You're both right!

I don't care much either way about the censorship. Kyle's butt doesn't bother me, but neither do I really desire to see it. It does make it look sillier when hidden though. XD
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sonic# wrote:From the OED:
You're both right!
*grumble grumble*
English majors always messing up my semantic arguments
*grumble grumble* KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Klover
Reza Thief

Post by Klover »

Very, very sorry for the necromancy, but I had to come here and share something! First, though...
Shiva Indis wrote:Way off-model. Kyle's head is too big and his expression is too dopey, even for a 'But I just killed that guy!' look. A lot of the line art in this cutscene (Luna raises the Fortress) is below par, actually. There are a handful of really good drawings (all of Luna) and the rest seem oversimplified at best.
Lunar09.png
For comparison's sake, a better Kyle profile. Goodness, he's a big boy. Meatheads like this are rare in Japanese games today, aren't they?
Lunar10.png
Kyle isn't the only one who looks stupid in that first one. I mean, I know that pretty much everyone tells Nall that he has a big mouth, but I didn't know they meant it literally...

And, in the second picture, what is UP with Nall's face? He looks... creepy.

Actually, I could apply his faces to two Internet memes...

For the first face:
Image I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR!!!

For the second face:
Image I just saw human form Ruby naked... hurrrrr....

Anyway, I can't be the only one who noticed this in the "Quark Awakens" scene.

Sorry for the very, very low quality images, but thankfully, the flaws are still noticeable.

First, they forget Quark's chest fur...

Well, they remember to add his golden-brown chest fur in the next part of the scene, and then it focuses on his head. And after that, it shows him in full body, with the chest hair, but...

...they forgot that it was golden-brown! It's white (it only looks gray because of the shading) in this shot.
^What I think of Lunar.^

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Nall's mouth looks more normal to me than Nash's... doesn't it bother anyone else that that style of mouth in profile looks like it's to the side of his nose rather than directly under it? And I have cats and have seen how wide their mouths open when they yawn. Nall isn't human, after all.

Klover
Reza Thief

Post by Klover »

Yes, it does bother me, but at the same time, it doesn't, because that is usually how a face looks from the side in anime style. And, yeah, you're right. Nall's mouth can open that wide. He still looks weird in the second picture, though. *Shrug*
^What I think of Lunar.^