The reworked cutscene music

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The reworked cutscene music

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Anyone a major fan of some of the new work Iwadare did for the cutscenes for the North American version of SSH? It was pretty subtle at most points, but I was blown away by the drama he added to the Azure City's appearance. It wasn't what I expected (since I had just anticipated more powerful and/or flowery organ work), but it was awesome.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: The reworked cutscene music

Post by MaroonChan »

To be honest. I didn't notice for that. Probably should of since I did just re-play that before SSH came out.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Assuming you have a file with the Reminiscer, you should check it out in comparison to a YouTube of the original. Unfortunately, there aren't YouTube versions of the SSH cutscenes yet for easy comparison.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Yeah I got that. Maybe sometime I'll check it out. Depends. I'm kinda lazy. :lol:

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It would be interesting to see the comparisons and differences between the Japanese and the English releases for SSH. It would be easier to have the PSP connected to a tv or monitor, and then use a capture card. I still think it was very interesting that Iwadare himself made the alterations to the music for the North American audience.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Well, basically, I just really like that there's more variance to each repeat of the main melody. The original version starts off with just the voice and then adds layer after layer of louder echoing of the same notes, plus the little tag between the repeats with the synth brass. The new version has a really cool rise and fall with the first part still being just voice, the second section being similar to the original with voice layered over deep strings echoing the voice, the third section incorporating quick runs on higher strings as the waves emanate out toward the crystals, and the fourth section having a running lead-in as the burst of light heads for the Tower. I just really like the drama it adds to the cutscene. ^.^;

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Aside from the US release, it gave Iwadare a chance to change things he wanted to after the Japanese release was already out. It's very rare you find a composer who aids in making changes to a localized game's music.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm looking forward to checking these scenes side by side. Slightly easier since I have the two versions on two different PSPs.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Hopefully we can get a comparison on youtube with the files played back to back.

Alan_Geitz
Lyton Singer

Post by Alan_Geitz »

I noticed the reworked cutscene BGM right off the bat, but are you telling me this is only in the ENGLISH version of the game?! O.o
Woah. :shock:

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Yep. The cutscenes are exactly the same as Silver Star Story in terms of music for Japan's Harmony of Silver Star. Iwadare redid the cutscene music only for the North American release.

Still disappointed that it's not up on YouTube yet, though. ;_; I hate having to boot up my PSP for the Reminiscer just to listen to it.

Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zhane Masaki »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:Assuming you have a file with the Reminiscer, you should check it out in comparison to a YouTube of the original. Unfortunately, there aren't YouTube versions of the SSH cutscenes yet for easy comparison.
If you know Japanese, you can find all of said cutscenes on Nico Nico Douga.
Also an expert on the Phantasy Star tetralogy, Ys, Star Ocean, Dirty Pair, and most things Universal Century Gundam

Visit My Backloggery to keep up on my gaming exploits!

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Anything on Nico Nico would likely be inconsequential since the Japanese version has the exact same cutscene music as Silver Star Story Complete. Only the North American release has remastered cutscene tracks.

Of course, that doesn't really matter any longer considering it's on YouTube now too, right here.