Lunar: SSH review @ RPGFan

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Rudo
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar: SSH review @ RPGFan

Post by Rudo »

Okay, I know this sounds like self-promotion but since this is the best place for Lunar discussion, I figure I'd post it anyway. I'm not a writer at all and I hate writing formally (english is not even my native language) but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to review Lunar myself since I'm such a Lunar fan. This is only my 3rd review in 12 years at RPGFan :).

Anyway, here it is!

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Lunar_Sil ... index.html

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Lunar: SSH review @ RPGFan

Post by Aaron »

Interesting review. I'm just surprised at a lot of reviewers giving this game 8/10 or 9/10. I don't think you should have to overlook or neutralize parts of the game in order to give your review.

Thats why I gave mine a 6/10.

I think your writing is good. A lot better then mine. Congrats on getting it published.

I'm kinda surprised you didn't say anything about the item system. But I agree with you on the world shrinking. That was a major bummer. Also don't you think they should have added at least a new dungeon?
Last edited by Aaron on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

I read this earlier today. Good read! Love how you separated it into 2 parts.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Aaron wrote:Also don't you think they should have added at least a new dungeon?
This I agree with. Would've been fun to have a bit of a bonus with some extra armors and whatnot.

I've never minded the world shrinking much, though. I mean, it was a bit of a loss from TSS to SSSC, but ever since then, the overworld's been horribly vacant whether or not you could walk around on its surface.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Aaron wrote:I think your writing is good. A lot better then mine. Congrats on getting it published.
I'd hope it'd get published considering he's head honcho at RPGFan. :P

That said, great review Rudo. That's probably about where I'd put it. It has it's flaws, but it's Lunar, and the story is still so good, even on a handheld that it brings the score up for me dispite any flaws. In all honestly, the only three complaints I even have about the game are the load times (and honestly, I don't play many games these days, those load times might be the norm for a PSP game for all I know), difficulty (this is a trend in modern games in general it seems though) and the world map being shrunk down (which I think everyone who's played TSS will agree). Outside of that, I'm estatic that some of the Lunar staples are back. Our beloved battle system is back after the garbage DS system and while Legend was a good solid handheld RPG title at the time, the battle system still didn't match up to the classic Lunar system. And I like XSEED's translation and localization work. This is coming from an old die-hard Working Designs fan too.

But yeah, great review Rudo!

Edit - BTW, I forgot to mention, I like how you separated the review out for veterans and new-comers.
-G1

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Oh I didn't know that.

Rudo
Saith Pirate

Post by Rudo »

Personally, I think a 6 isn't high enough for such a classic. I mean, even with loading times and the lack of a bunch of new stuff, this is still Lunar! When it came down to grading it, I tried to compare it with other JRPGs on portable systems (PSP and DS) and at the end of the day, no other RPG is as enjoyable to me as Lunar and it's the one I still had the most fun playing even though I had already played the game 3-4 times before. I would say that Lunar: SSH is similar graphically and in style (traditional JRPG) to the Star Ocean games on PSP (First departure and Second Story). Both were remakes and both scored around 80% from most review sources. That's also the score I would have given them (in the 80s). Personally, I think Lunar is a better RPG than Star Ocean and that's why to me it ranks higher (thus the 90%). Has there really been a better traditional JRPG on the PSP since it was released? I really can't think of another that's better personally.

And thanks for the nice comments guys. I was worried about the splitting into 2 reviews thing since that's not a common thing to do in reviews but I figured it would be the most efficient way of tackling it. I'm glad people seem to have liked the idea.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Agreed, it's still a game I love; it still has classic mechanics and a story that consistently delivers. The incidentals haven't changed that. Nice idea on the review, too!
「まあいいけど。」

Sophia
Lostest Boy

Post by Sophia »

Great review. Splitting into two parts for newcomers and old timers? Brilliant!

The score's a little high for my tastes (would've given it a 7/10 ), but that's just my opinion. And even though I was a bit disappointed overall with the game, I still felt the magic and charm of Lunar as I played. Oh Lunar, how I missed you.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Well if isn't Rudo. How's life over at RPGfan? Is my girl(sarcasm) Sumire still around? I havn't been around there in 10 years since I was "fired". Nice review. I'm still hesitating purchasing a system for one game even if it is Lunar. Glad you like it. I've felt disconnected from the series since the first remake and the awful EB Remake. So I'm a bit pessimistic about this new one. It's just too "cute" for me and seems to hold your hand through it. For example, No wandering overworld, easy dungeons and battles. The sense of exploration is all gone.

It's still Lunar though. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually but I don't think I'll enjoy it as much as TSS.

Rudo
Saith Pirate

Post by Rudo »

Hey! Sorry if I don't remember you but since your profile doesn't have your name, I'm not sure exactly who you are. As for Nicole (Sumire), she was fired so long ago I don't even remember when (6 years ago... maybe more). RPGFan is much different than it was at the begining. The staff consists mostly of people over 25 so there's no immaturity from some editors like there was all those years ago and no fighting between staffers. It's all very professional now (thank god) so it's a great atmosphere.

As for Lunar SSH, I can understand your pessimism about the holding your hand portion of the game and the fact that everything is easier and with less exploring. As I said in my review, whether someone loves the game or not is very dependent on what they like about RPGs. For somebody looking for dungeon exploration and a challenge, this game won't satisfy them that's for sure. The reason my grades are so high is because I happen to enjoy story and villages more than dungeon exploration and fighting so this game suits me perfectly. But I'm perfectly aware that the game isn't for everybody and might disappoint some people.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Ya, you probably wouldn't remember me. I took over the MIDI section for Jedi Leroy when he left for his Mormon mission. Ironically, I had just got home from mine. I think that was around 9 years ago. My staff name was Jorge. This was right before you closed the MIDI section. Shocking that no one preferred to listen to dumbed down music anymore. :roll:

I left because of Sumire. I was only there for about 6 months. She was such a headache. :lol:

Rudo
Saith Pirate

Post by Rudo »

Yeah, I remember you. As you said, you weren't there very long though. The midi section was bound to fail since midis were less and less popular.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

RUDO! Hah! I totally remember you from waaaaaay back in my early days here.

By the way, the review was great. Liked the idea of splitting the review for veterans and newbies.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I really liked this review. I didn't even pay attention to the score given, just what you were saying, and it really sums everything up better than any of the other reviews. I was so happy you vaguely touched on the fact that alot of hints are given to give away the spoilers. I think its even MORE apparent in SSH than it was in SSSC, which to me felt like it might ruin it for some fans, but whatever.

Nice to see someone base the game on what it is rather than "blah, another remake"