Ok, this final battle is ridiculous (never mind!)

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Ok, this final battle is ridiculous (never mind!)

Post by Kizyr »

I've been fighting Ghaleon for over one goddamn hour.

Seriously, did it hit some bug where he's unbeatable?

We're all at level 39-40. I know it's low, but, really, one bloody hour and he's still not dead? Everyone's had the chance to use their Arts Gauge spells 4-5 times already. And the fact that he can cast that cheap insta-kill Fate Storm spell twice, or attack four times in one turn, makes it all that much more irritating. KF

[EDIT: Never mind. He's supposed to be unbeatable... This isn't the final battle--it's not over... yet]
~Kizyr (they|them)

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Ok, this final battle is ridiculous

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I hate endurance battles. I recall Super Mario RPG's was like that. Also, Evolution's (Dreamcast dungeon-crawler by Sting.)

I wonder if there's a bizarre strategy that can be applied here. Some sort of thing you wouldn't think he's weak against but he is or some such.

Or maybe I should just grind a bit and aim to be above level 40 when I play it.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Maybe if you play your ocarina Luna will blast him. 8-)

Hope you beat him, that brings back some memories of zophar though.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Oh, so that's how you get the game to be challenging? :P I was at least lv. 45 and probably more like 50, but the impression 'the boss fights take too long' was never something that crossed my mind. My impression was more like 'people are going to be disappointed by how this game is a pushover', as I finished the final fight in 15 mins or so.
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

SPOILER ALERT

OH SNAP. This isn't the final battle; this is that battle you're supposed to lose.*
...and I've been holding out.

Ok, disregard that. Battles are still quick; they just programmed it so that Ghaleon in this form has infinite HP.

This is just like that time in Goldeneye for the N64, when I tripped that alarm in the powerplant and instead of getting surrounded by enemies and dying, I got them all bottlenecked in a corridor and spent 30 minutes killing them as more respawned (before I figured that this probably wasn't what was supposed to happen). KF

* SPOILER *
After you get to the top of the Grindery, and fight Ghaleon the second time.
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Re: Ok, this final battle is ridiculous (never mind!)

Post by Shiva Indis »

lol, okay, now it's making sense. I remember thinking that fight seemed different, because I remember getting overwhelmed quickly on the Playstation version.
「まあいいけど。」

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Heheheh, Kiz, you almost just made history by playing well enough to have a chance of winning an 'unwinnable battle.' I like to imagine you having Hiero fight Ghaleon in Pentagulia for two hours straight without dying while cursing at how cheap he is.
aka Maou

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Would have been great if GA put in a secret alternate ending for winning that battle. Kinda sucks though.....playing to win only to find out that you're supposed to lose. :lol:

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Temzin wrote:Heheheh, Kiz, you almost just made history by playing well enough to have a chance of winning an 'unwinnable battle.' I like to imagine you having Hiero fight Ghaleon in Pentagulia for two hours straight without dying while cursing at how cheap he is.
You should know better than this, Temzin. Or are you forgetting about the Lunar newbies? :P

Same thing with you Kizyr! The only thing you should be fighting is invisible text. :lol:

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Temzin wrote:Heheheh, Kiz, you almost just made history by playing well enough to have a chance of winning an 'unwinnable battle.' I like to imagine you having Hiero fight Ghaleon in Pentagulia for two hours straight without dying while cursing at how cheap he is.
I remember that someone actually did that. You still "lose" the fight storyline-wise.

But this, yeah... I probably could go on for another 4-5 hours. But given that Ghaleon is given infinite HP (presumably), there's no point really. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Pshaw, it's in a thread about the last battle, so new folk'll know to stay out. Also, the statute of limitations for Eternal Blue spoilers has probably worn off after...16 years.

Aerith dies!

And Kiz, I've always wanted to see someone crazy enough to win that Pentagulia fight...I don't even like to think about what it must take to get to Level 99 or whatever you need there to win/glitch. Time for the Meribian Sewers Super Tour!
aka Maou

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well then I will slap the first person who complains about people not using spoilers if I post something related to either game since they've been around for 17+ years in the US.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

This agreement is much more to my liking.

Magic Emperor...Ghaleon!?
aka Maou

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

No, Tranny Wombat Zophar and fake Dragonmaster Ghaleon. <--This.

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

I've always hated battles like that. There is one in Star Ocean 2 where you have to fight some guy in the arena (I think his name is Dias) and it's impossible to defeat him. Such bosses should be made ultra-powerful so that they can wipe out your party quickly and not give the illusion of being beatable.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

Old_School wrote:I've always hated battles like that. There is one in Star Ocean 2 where you have to fight some guy in the arena (I think his name is Dias) and it's impossible to defeat him. Such bosses should be made ultra-powerful so that they can wipe out your party quickly and not give the illusion of being beatable.
Yep, Dias. There is a second one at the end of the disc against Shin (twice in fact) where you just have to stay alive long enough.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I would think that with battles like this they would have a turn limit, and if you survive too long some crazy attack would occur that drops your whole party just so you don't end up fighting what could be a never-ending fight.

That could also mean that the play testers all lost and couldn't hold out as long so it never got caught and slipped through to the final version.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

localflick wrote:I would think that with battles like this they would have a turn limit, and if you survive too long some crazy attack would occur that drops your whole party just so you don't end up fighting what could be a never-ending fight.
Which is what all the games with unwinnable battles that I can think of off the top of my head do. Or if not some super ultra awesome attack, they can at least fell a character in one or two hits.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

localflick wrote:I would think that with battles like this they would have a turn limit, and if you survive too long some crazy attack would occur that drops your whole party just so you don't end up fighting what could be a never-ending fight.
Vyse of Arcadia wrote:Which is what all the games with unwinnable battles that I can think of off the top of my head do. Or if not some super ultra awesome attack, they can at least fell a character in one or two hits.
Both of those things occur, really. After about 10 minutes or so, Ghaleon went up to making 3 attacks per turn. And he started using his insta-kill Fate Storm spell more often. Only thing was, I had my people spread out enough and, between Jessica's magic and tons of items, him killing a party member every other turn didn't really set me back. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Battles like this are generally item destroyers if you don't realize you're not meant to win. Nothing fun about depleting all of your items and then you realize it doesn't do any good. Zophar is like this to an extent when you fight him during Lucia's monologue. People will waste items instead of just buffing and waiting out the sequence. It's only a small segemtn, so nothing as bad as a full auto-death battle.