*UPDATE!* LUNAR:SSH PREVIEW plus LE Packaging Box!

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: LUNAR:SSH "On the Spot" PREVIEW plus LE Packaging Box!

Post by Shiva Indis »

In my experience, people give you the 'did you just mispronounce an easy word?' look when you say Lun-AR.

Also...

Lucia: Oh no, Lun-AR!

Noob: 'Lun-AR', lol

...And when that happens I find myself wondering how I was able to accustom myself to it in the first place. So when I talk about the series (not having any of you folks around to talk to in person,) I pronounce it the same as I would in 'lunar lander' for the sake of expediency.
「まあいいけど。」

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Yeah, I'm the same way. I know they've used the emphasized -ar in the in-game dialogue, but I prefer to pronounce it as the actual word. It seems funky the other way.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think I usually use the same emphasis as I would if I were using the word in another context, but do use the lower vowel instead of the schwa. Habit now.

Another minor pronunciation pitfall is the first syllable of Althena. Remember the SSSC outtake where Truitt is correcting himself? "Not Aal. Allll." But he did use Aal in TSS, and SSH seems to be doing so as well.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

A far as the Lunar segment, I DID give you all the exact timeframe it appears and ends.

It's hard to say what the correct pronunciation of LunAr is, but I stick with the natural sound because Loo-NAR sounds pretentious. I think WD changed the way they pronounce it because of the way the Japanese dialect sounds in English. Redding, CA is also a hick town so they may pronounce things differently as well (from sources who have worked there).

AL-thena is the correct pronunciation, but it really is up to your preference (Allllthena is just Truitt changing the pronunciation because of Vic micro-managing, and changing things). Her name could have been Lucier (wtf) like Lucia in Japanese.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I have a second cousin or something in England her name is Lucia, but its pronounced like loo-chi-a, like chia pet, well thats what i think of ever time i hear her name

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

That is an Italian pronunciation. It annoyed me when I was watching the "making of" Lunar Eternal Blue and the narrator was saying her name like that when he shouldn't have.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Looner always sounded best to me. The piratey way makes my ears bleed. I do, however, pronounce it that way if I'm talking to someone else that does. My dad knows a woman named Lucia and she always said her name as Loo-chi-a....the same way Kaiya mentioned. I'm not really sure of the right way to say it but Looshia is prettier.

BTW: For all you Amazon preorderers....SSH is now available with release day shipping!!!

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I've always pronounced it LooNAR, ALLthena, and Loochia, like they do in the games, for the most part. ALthena makes her sound like a tranny or something >< Not that theres anything wrong with them.

Can anyone upload a pic of the box? I normally have dial up but borrow my Aunts high speed but its really low bars.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Silver Phoenix wrote:It's hard to say what the correct pronunciation of LunAr is, but I stick with the natural sound because Loo-NAR sounds pretentious. I think WD changed the way they pronounce it because of the way the Japanese dialect sounds in English. Redding, CA is also a hick town so they may pronounce things differently as well (from sources who have worked there).
Eh, not really. I haven't been there in a few years, but I don't recall ever having the impression of drawling or other nonstandard pronunciation.
AL-thena is the correct pronunciation, but it really is up to your preference (Allllthena is just Truitt changing the pronunciation because of Vic micro-managing, and changing things). Her name could have been Lucier (wtf) like Lucia in Japanese.
I don't see how you're defining "correct" here. If you're deeming the SegaCD pronunciation "correct", you're taking WD's version as authoritative -- and if they chose to change it for the PS games then that becomes the "right" pronunciation. The Japanese pronunciation, of course, does not have that tense vowel.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It's hard to put the right itonation into a word through text. How do you pronounce Athena? (AthEna, not Athinnah) Adding an "L" automatically changes how the letter before it sounds. All-thena and AL-thena are both correct, and if you listen to the Japanese you should hear both forms. I've heard more of AL-thena coming from the Japanese VA's, but it also depends on which character is talking.

The English language overcomplicates things, especially how something is pronounced because of how people speak. It's a debate that can't be won because of how easily it is for one opinion to believe it's correct over another, regardless of linguistics.
Last edited by Silver Phoenix on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Which is exactly why I'm quibbling with your use of "correct" above. :lol:

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

*bites ALun ;) and runs away*

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I've heard more of AL-thena coming from the Japanese VA's, but it also depends on which character is talking.
I think it's because you're superimposing your own understanding of how "Althena" is pronounced with the Japanese pronunciation. The Japanese pronunciation is very regular, 'arutena' in every case, including the initial vowel. It's closer to the "A" in "all" or "father", than the "A" in "Al" or "animosity"; the latter vowel sound doesn't occur in standard Japanese.

Regardless, the Japanese pronunciation doesn't have any bearing on the correct English pronunciation, since there's an entire translation in the middle. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

What Kiz said.

Also, for extra fun, our dear friends Merriam and Webster note that lunAR is actually an alternate pronounciation of "lunar" anyway. Not preferred, but hey, it's there.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lunar
aka Maou

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

whitedragon_nall wrote:BTW: For all you Amazon preorderers....SSH is now available with release day shipping!!!
This shouldn't get lost in this discussion. I just changed mine to release day and appear to have actually saved money from when I switched it to 2 day. woo!
† Final Night †

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Re: *UPDATE!* LUNAR:SSH PREVIEW plus LE Packaging Box!

Post by Silver Phoenix »

If people haven't noticed, and for anyone that has issues with long downloads I changed the link for the video preview in the first post. It's only the Lunar segment so that should help people out with slower connections. It's only 3 minutes, 59 seconds.

SilentApprovalRobot
Reza Thief

Post by SilentApprovalRobot »

Silver Phoenix wrote:
http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/lunarha ... eo/6250181 (3:59)

*UPDATE* I have a direct link to the Daily Demo Lunar:SSH video segment now so you don't have to dig through the 25 minute video that was originally made.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You're such a good bot, let me pet you on your pointy head (or is that a bday hat?).

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

::Reads video comments::

Seems that Jess is popular. :mrgreen:
「まあいいけど。」

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Seriously not a single comment about the game itself. =)