How Successful does Lunar SSH need to be?

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Arcana
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

How Successful does Lunar SSH need to be?

Post by Arcana »

How many sales do you think are possible for this game?
How many sales establish this game as a success?
What then if it can't even beat Lunar DS sales of 90,000?

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Re: How Successful does Lunar SSH need to be?

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well we aren't aware of how many copies need to sell for XSEED to break even, or to consider it successful. It has to get more publicity in order to sell, and at this point it's minimal. Let's hope for the best.

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Well we aren't aware of how many copies need to sell for XSEED to break even, or to consider it successful. It has to get more publicity in order to sell, and at this point it's minimal. Let's hope for the best.
There's always the potential for a sleeper game that people catch onto gradually an ends up warranting a sequel (ala Valkyria Chronicles).

If SSH comes out and is amazing, we need to make sure that we tell people.
† Final Night †

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

I've wondered that myself. While I'm looking forward to Harmony, that's what worries me about all the remakes. If Game Arts keeps making remakes of SSS, with sales getting worse with each iteration, the series could come to a halt before a sequel is ever made.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Final Night, it goes beyond word of mouth. There has to be some kind of marketing involved for it to be a mainstream success, but it seems to always fall into a niche. You also have less of a PSP market in the US compared to consoles so that limits your numbers.

A bunch of us will buy a PSP, or receive one as a gift in order to play the game. If they could have made a Lunar PSP bundle that would be fantastic, but it doesn't have the audience that Final Fantasy has. Most people aren't even aware of this remake, so outside of fans it's overshadowed by everything else.

A true shame, because the game really deserves a chance in the spotlight.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

The only kind of marketing I have seen for this was a display stand (which I snagged online after my Gamestop threw theirs out-- I was outraged because I wanted it, they said they would hold some stuff for me now <: ) which, if Lunar-Net doesn't have a pic of, I was planning to submit it.

I have barely seen any advertizing online (aside XSeed's site and the little trickle of news on Siliconera). I would imagine this would sell better than DS, especially since there is a regular print run and not just the limited run. I want my Lunar 2 portable!

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Final Night, it goes beyond word of mouth. There has to be some kind of marketing involved for it to be a mainstream success, but it seems to always fall into a niche. You also have less of a PSP market in the US compared to consoles so that limits your numbers.

A bunch of us will buy a PSP, or receive one as a gift in order to play the game. If they could have made a Lunar PSP bundle that would be fantastic, but it doesn't have the audience that Final Fantasy has. Most people aren't even aware of this remake, so outside of fans it's overshadowed by everything else.

A true shame, because the game really deserves a chance in the spotlight.
Maybe I just missed it, but I don't remember any marketing (such as advertising) for Valkyria Chronicles. The only reason it had any success was just that it was a really good game and media outlets recognized that in their reviews.

Now maybe the best marketing campaign there is is just to put out a quality product and let it fall where it may, but I think we could get to an EB remake simply by this game surprising people with quality.
† Final Night †

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I haven't seen any print media or display stands for the game. I was at Gamestop yesterday and didn't notice anything.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Check the LunarNET news, I just threw up the North American magazine ad.
-G1

Alan_Geitz
Lyton Singer

Post by Alan_Geitz »

More advertising for Lunar SSH?
Leave it to me!
*working on a quick video...will I release it on time?*

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

G1, did he happen to state which magazine it came from? I love how there's still no date. :P

Does it irk anyone else that the soundtrack disc is black and white? You have nice cover art on the jewel case, and then a b&w disc. I wonder if we're even going to get a slim jewel case, and instead it comes in a sleeve.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

GhaleonOne wrote:Check the LunarNET news, I just threw up the North American magazine ad.
Do you guys still need the display box? I can get photos for you if so.
Silver Phoenix wrote:I haven't seen any print media or display stands for the game. I was at Gamestop yesterday and didn't notice anything.
It was in there for a week tops about 2 weeks ago. Now it's God of War III... woo...

If someone finds out what magazine the ad is in, Id love to pick it up. I have a collection of video game ads, Lunar SSSC being one of them. ;)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Silver Phoenix wrote:G1, did he happen to state which magazine it came from? I love how there's still no date. :P

Does it irk anyone else that the soundtrack disc is black and white? You have nice cover art on the jewel case, and then a b&w disc. I wonder if we're even going to get a slim jewel case, and instead it comes in a sleeve.
Yeah I feel like having a b&w soundtrack does kind of cheapen the experience a bit. It makes it looks like a mere afterthought. However, I am still excited about getting one.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

ShindoW wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:Check the LunarNET news, I just threw up the North American magazine ad.
Do you guys still need the display box? I can get photos for you if so.
Sure!
-G1

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

No prob, sent an email your way. Glad I could help. ^o^

SilentApprovalRobot
Reza Thief

Post by SilentApprovalRobot »

Alan_Geitz wrote:More advertising for Lunar SSH?
Leave it to me!
*working on a quick video...will I release it on time?*

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Jess from XSEED commented about me linking the magazine ad link to Lunar-Net, and she referenced what magazines are running the ad.

"Magazine ads for the game are now running. Check out Playstation Magazine, Shonen Jump, Play Magazine and others for your very own paw-able copy. :)"

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

My friend ended up picking up Shonen Jump for the YuGiOh card and said I can put the ad in my collection. ;) Sweet

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I wonder if the ad is in Shonen Jump because it's a JRPG, and has anime cutscenes. I never heard much in the way of gaming ads in that magazine, but I've never really read that magazine to begin with.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

I bought an issue of SJ years ago and I remember seeing some gaming ads. When I think about it though, I remember them being for Naruto, DBZ, and YuGiOh games.....all of which are mangas featured in the book.