English Demo Impressions [Spoilers]

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

English Demo Impressions [Spoilers]

Post by Shiva Indis »

'Lala's - Odd... New singing for the cutscene at the spring, new singing for fights, old singing in the field. I wonder if they're going to leave it this way? Would someone who isn't familiar with it even notice?

Ocarina - Actual ocarina playing for the cutscene at the spring. I got the feeling that the ocarina part is demanding - either that, or Xseed should have found a better player.

Alex - He seems a little bit snarky. It's cute. :mrgreen: I hope Xseed continues to have him talk on a regular basis; I've seen Japanese players joke about how their very reticent Alex suddenly becomes a master orator at the end of the game.

Quark - Voice acting was very capable, I thought it might be the same guy voicing Mel (they share an actor in the Japanese version). The cutscene dialogue did get into we-don't-know-what-to-do-with-all-this-lip-flap mode, though.

Programming - I'm glad that 'X' is the default confirm button now, the expectation that 'O' is confirm was negatively influencing my ability operate the handheld. ^_^ Still trying to decide if the loading was any better; probably not. I meant to check if characters regain HP/MP on level up; I expect it's still the case. I still hold out hope on that stuff though.

Translation - Herb => Healing Herb; Dragonfly Wing => Warp Wing... ugh, sleepy... continue later...
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Re: English Demo Impressions [Spoilers]

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well, the demo is not the fully finished game so perhaps there will be tweaking. The Lalala's turned into Ladada's as well during Burg Springs. What was old singing, the music you heard as you walk into town and hear Luna, or the songs of her magic? I like Alex's Zephyr Blade AG attack. It looks cooler on my tv because I can see it larger, and the green effect on the sword is cool. The glyphs that appear during spells are sharper looking on the PSP screen though.

Yes, HP and MP is restored when you level up. It's a shame that Ramus didn't get an AG attack even though he doesn't have any skills. He could let out a massive burp attack. I know a lot of people don't care for the new Quark voice as much as the original, but I think it fits the look of Quark. He's older looking in TSS, but when his look changed in SSSC the voice made him seem even older.

As for the item descriptions, aren't those the TSS names used once again? I am so glad to have Star Lights and presumably Silver Lights back. Mental Gum and all that crap did not sit well with me. Healing Ave (LL), wtf is that?

GhaleonBonne
Meribian Merchant

Post by GhaleonBonne »

Shiva Indis wrote:'
Ocarina - Actual ocarina playing for the cutscene at the spring. I got the feeling that the ocarina part is demanding - either that, or Xseed should have found a better player.
I thought that might have been intentional. Luna mentions that his playing is off in conversation after the cutscene. Perhaps they're actually showing it this time?

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Re: Ocarina:

Actually, I'm almost certain I remember Iwadare stating in a recent interview that it was him playing all the ocarina parts. Sorry, Iwadare.

...Kiz, do you remember this, too?
aka Maou

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Shiva Indis wrote: Ocarina - Actual ocarina playing for the cutscene at the spring. I got the feeling that the ocarina part is demanding - either that, or Xseed should have found a better player.
It's Kizyr playing the ocarina 8-) .
Last edited by Werefrog on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:Ocarina - Actual ocarina playing for the cutscene at the spring. I got the feeling that the ocarina part is demanding - either that, or Xseed should have found a better player.
Temzin wrote:Re: Ocarina:
Actually, I'm almost certain I remember Iwadare stating in a recent interview that it was him playing all the ocarina parts. Sorry, Iwadare.
Yes, in interviews (it's mentioned in the magazine articles translated on the site) Iwadare mentioned that he learned the ocarina just so that he could play it here. So the live ocarina is supposed to be Iwadare playing.

Shiva, are you saying that XSeed actually re-did the ocarina part as well? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Yes, the ocarina in the cut-scene is re-recorded, and not as "capable". As he noted, Luna talks about it being off.
-Nobi

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

What Nobi said. ^_^

The Japanese version of Harmony made precious few changes to the cutscenes, so the ocarina in the spring scene is the same old flute-like synth that you can hear in the previous releases. Xseed replaced it with a recorded ocarina performance that seems to struggle initially. The tone of the instrument is a bit different than what's already on the soundtrack, too. Not that I don't appreciate the effort they went to - I'm quite impressed. :mrgreen:

Singing - When you hear Luna singing not in a cutscene or a fight, it's the old stuff. It just occurred to me Xseed might leave it this way if they didn't want to re-record the Blue Dragon shrine event. It might help players attribute both voices to the character.

One other thing - "Get back on your feet!" => "Don't give up!" I like it. ^_^
「まあいいけど。」

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Wait, we have two different things being said here. Iwadare apparently did indeed learn the ocarina to re-record the animations, which were then re-re-recorded in the US release, or at least that's what I'm getting here.
aka Maou

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Temzin wrote:Wait, we have two different things being said here. Iwadare apparently did indeed learn the ocarina to re-record the animations, which were then re-re-recorded in the US release, or at least that's what I'm getting here.
I think Iwadare learned the ocarina to play it for the in-game OST, the music in the original cutscenes were untouched in the Japanese version.
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I've been out of touch at about the worst possible time, Lunarwise. >_< But my spouse is currently playing the US demo, so I've heard the beginning (he's still in Burg).

I haven't checked out the official website yet, so the only English voices I've heard so far are those first two cutscenes and the opening song. My heart sank when I recognized Jenny Stigile's voice, as I've never cared for her renditions of Lunar songs at all. This one was done a bit better than the previous ones, but not great. The extra syllable was painful.

Alex is okay, I guess. I'm not overly fond of the earlier versions, but am not thrilled about him sounding so teenagerish even if he is a teenager.

Nall does sound more like he would in EB. But I don't think that the lower voice is an improvement. It makes sense for him to have a high voice, due to his size -- short vocal chords. He should sound like a little kid. (I also felt that in SSSC his voice should have been shifted the other way later in the game.)

Luna... ugh. Her voice in the intro scene might be okay for Jessica, I suppose, but the personality suggested by her voice here is a type that easily gets on my nerves.

The spring scene is also extremely winceworthy. Luna's singing sounds like it's straining, and I'm not sure it was much in tune. The ocarina sounds really bad. It may well be that the line as originally written just isn't very easy on ocarina, but a simpler line better played would be preferable to that clumsiness.

[Edit: Yes, this is apparently XSeed's doing. The Japanese cutscene, as noted above, was untouched.)

Quark -- sounds way too much like a human, and a not overly friendly one at that. He might do for TSS Damon, who died of old age during the game. Don't like the dialogue much.

Spouse has been reading lines out now and again to inquire whether they're different or not. He's not enamored of the changes; nor am I. Given that a fair bit are taken directly from the WD translation, the ones which are different seem changed only for the sake of change rather than for any good reason or improvement. I also really don't get why they'd change the names of items and locations, unless there was some legal issue involved. The only purpose that serves is to irritate the people who are already familiar with the series, except for a probably very small number who didn't like WD's name renditions and changes. Players new to the series wouldn't know the difference anyway unless they played the import (how likely is that for someone who hasn't played the previous versions?) and expect the more exact renditions of Honmel, etc. Ghoto is particularly stupid because it was Goat in DS, so even if they didn't want to use WD's name there was still a reasonable English name for the place. These decisions sound more like they're intended to show independence from WD or something, because it's idiotic to release a remake of an old game which therefore has an already existing fanbase and change things which don't need to be changed and which aren't improved, thereby alienating that fanbase. Unless, as mentioned before, there's some bizarre legal issue involved. In which case the protagonist should be Arhes. :roll:

Spouse comments that the end of battle shows a rather odd thing: the words are anti-aliased but the numbers aren't. Wonder if that will be more consistent in the final release.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I had a hard time w/ some of the name changes ie Ghoto Woods and Ohoro... But did anyone else laugh when then the party runs away from a battle, but can't? They looked like little jumping beans, who runs away like that?

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Monde Luna wrote:I had a hard time w/ some of the name changes ie Ghoto Woods and Ohoro... But did anyone else laugh when then the party runs away from a battle, but can't? They looked like little jumping beans, who runs away like that?
Mario!

I guess it was either that or the FF method, running in place. Which also makes me lol.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

lol fates this is true (Mario). But if I recall correctly in previous version the characters kind of scrambled on their side of the screen while trying to escape. I was okay with that, the FF running in place doesn't bother me either though. =o)

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

I like the bouncing, though it makes one wonder how Ramus can jump so high when he normally gets winded after five or so steps. XD
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Alunissage wrote:Luna... ugh. Her voice in the intro scene might be okay for Jessica, I suppose, but the personality suggested by her voice here is a type that easily gets on my nerves.
Well put.
Alunissage wrote:Luna's singing sounds like it's straining, and I'm not sure it was much in tune.
I'm not sure either, but the old lalas in Kyouko Hikami's slightly raspy voice have come to grate on my nerves. It seemed like a welcome relief, pitch notwithstanding. I liked the warm tone and the straightforward delivery.
Alunissage wrote:Ghoto is particularly stupid because it was Goat in DS, so even if they didn't want to use WD's name there was still a reasonable English name for the place.
I don't have a problem imagining that it's just a coincidence that 'go-to' can be 'goat' in English. 'Forest' as modified by 'goat' isn't very imposing conceptually, and I don't expect that it seems much better to the Japanese mind. Thus 'Go-to' must be a proper name, right? ...then again, trying to guess what other people were thinking (almost 18 years ago) is like treading on thin ice. ^_^;;
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I was waiting for your biting remarks Allunybear. :mrgreen:

Btw, the off-key ocarina segment at Burg Springs is intentional to give more credit to what Luna says after the cutscene. If it sounded perfect it wouldn't make much sense aside from you imagining that Alex was playing badly somehow.

I am not a fan of Ghoto Woods, Ohro, or Honmel Isle. Also Goat Woods should be an entirely different place than Ghoto Woods, because you don't have the same locations in Dragon Song. Why don't you send some hatemail to XSEED to change a few simple text issues and get our old names back? If it really is a legal thing then I find that ridiculous.

As for Nall's voice, don't forget he was also in cat form briefly in EB but he didn't speak. I just don't feel it's necessary to go from one extreme to the other with the voice in the series, so the decided on something transitional. If they really wanted to they have enough time to give Nall his ovaries back so people stop bi+tching.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Btw, the off-key ocarina segment at Burg Springs is intentional to give more credit to what Luna says after the cutscene. If it sounded perfect it wouldn't make much sense aside from you imagining that Alex was playing badly somehow.
Justifying it this way works, but Luna has similar lines in versions where the performance sounds fine. It's more effective if Luna is picking up on something subtle, and thereby demonstrating how well she knows Alex.
Silver Phoenix wrote:I am not a fan of Ghoto Woods, Ohro, or Honmel Isle. Also Goat Woods should be an entirely different place than Ghoto Woods, because you don't have the same locations in Dragon Song.
I don't know where this Ohro deal came from; I think Xseed made it up. You know, if that other thread we have running was named 'Unnecessary Changes are Unnecessary' I would have had fewer objections to it.

No one's suggesting that the DS Goat Woods = the Lunar 1 Goat Woods/Weird Woods/etc; the issue is that there's a precedent for translating the name as Goat Woods.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Indeed, Luna's comments on Alex's playing are some of the first words many of us ever heard of Lunar, since she says them in her intro scene itself in TSS. I spent quite a while wondering what she was hearing as "strange" in Alex's harp playing.

But did she actually comment on his playing being strange in other versions? Isn't TSS the only game where they actually practice together, rather than him just breaking into her singing? He thereby alerts her to his presence, she asks him about what took so long and all, etc. At any rate, "strange" isn't the same as "bad", and his playing in the US demo is definitely the latter.

I've just listened to the voice clips on the XSeed site. I think what it is that I hear about Luna is that her heckling of Alex is actual heckling, without the fondness that is in her voice in the other games. It really seems more like Jessica speaking to Kyle. And did anyone get an instant flashback to Ruby when hearing Nall say "Are you deaf or something?" I still think the voice should be higher. Not enough of a sample of Nash to decide whether he'll be OK beyond the weird intonation of the last three words. OK with Ghaleon. Mel was fine up until the very end where it seemed too much to me. Mia was undeniably the best. Jess was okay. Kyle sounded too young.

One other odd thing was that the opening song was playing really fast, so everything was shifted up in pitch. Weird.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I don't know where this Ohro deal came from; I think Xseed made it up. You know, if that other thread we have running was named 'Unnecessary Changes are Unnecessary' I would have had fewer objections to it.

No one's suggesting that the DS Goat Woods = the Lunar 1 Goat Woods/Weird Woods/etc; the issue is that there's a precedent for translating the name as Goat Woods.
If XSEED does read Lunar-Net's forums it may be to their benefit if people are really that bothered by minor changes. They should have enough time to fix names and words if they felt like it before release, those are simple things as long as they can flag them in their script editor. Also, doesn't Nall say PAPA in conversational text? Perhaps Ohro has an actual Japanese meaning, because it's an awfully strange first name. If they are trying to stay close to the actual Japanese names while laying heavy on the English localization in text it will be a bit off to retain fluidity. Goat Woods is just bad period unless it's infested with goats.
But did she actually comment on his playing being strange in other versions? Isn't TSS the only game where they actually practice together, rather than him just breaking into her singing? He thereby alerts her to his presence, she asks him about what took so long and all, etc. At any rate, "strange" isn't the same as "bad", and his playing in the US demo is definitely the latter.
I don't know for sure regarding other versions, but TSS is the only version to show Luna talking to Alex before they start practicing.