Overly formal language is overly formal...

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
SilentApprovalRobot
Reza Thief
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Overly formal language is overly formal...

Post by SilentApprovalRobot »

:mrgreen:

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

SilentApprovalRobot wrote: any form of text or emoticon

I liked it better when you were programmed only for ellipsis.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

SilentApprovalRobot
Reza Thief

Jenner wrote:
SilentApprovalRobot wrote: any form of text or emoticon

I liked it better when you were programmed only for ellipsis.
... --- .-. .-. -.--

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Vic posted? And I missed it? *sigh*

So, congrats to Lunar Eclipse - He argued with Vic =P Not many get to brag about that.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

phyco126 wrote: So, congrats to Lunar Eclipse - He argued with Vic =P Not many get to brag about that.
Actually, seeing as how Vic was a prolific Usenet posted back in the day, I'd say the list of people who get to brag about that is rather large.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Anyway, I've always had the same quibbles about the lyrics that Lunar Eclipse does, and Vic knows quite well how much I think about language and grammar. :P
Admittedly, I think about grammar a lot too, but I don't think it's at the crux of my argument.
Didn't say it was. My post wasn't really about your argument; I was just commenting that I was bothered by the same phrases you were and that Vic knows where I'm coming from languagewise. We had a nontrivial amount of interaction regarding language back in the day.

Thanks for providing the XSEED lyrics, with correction by the not-so-neutral bot. It's clear that there is a very different priority in those lyrics regarding content. I don't have a problem with this; indeed, I have always enjoyed reading multiple translations and renditions. But I really think they read like a translation without much attention to scansion and rhythm, and I have to wonder if a professional lyricist worked on it at all. "So now our journey begins" fits very well, but of course the rest of the line in the first verse doesn't. I wouldn't mind the extra syllable of "magic" if it were in the second verse; "where adventure awaits" would've been a better choice for the first verse, since it's the line heard in the actual game and repeated in the full version. Sigh. Now I want to find time to rewrite the whole thing, and that's not even my own specialty.

I'm a bit amused by "march ever onward", thinking of TSS's "keep marching on" -- which phrase must've been chosen to match the sound of the Japanese lyric there.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Alunissage wrote:... "where adventure awaits" would've been a better choice for the first verse, since it's the line heard in the actual game and repeated in the full version.
I have to say I agree here. I wish that the last section was swapped out for the opening. In the second round, "where adventure awaits" fits better, and I really like the rhyme in the next line between "lie" and "sky". It doesn't change the meaning much either, so I would've preferred it that way.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

SilentApprovalRobot
Reza Thief

Alunissage wrote: Now I want to find time to rewrite the whole thing, and that's not even my own specialty.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Wait a sec. Aaron's complaining about the reference to wind in the SSH speech and about the SSH lyrics in general when the WD lyrics include "Free to roam the breeze in love"...??

One might also note that Alex's arts move is a wind spell -- Zephyr Blade, which was Wind Sword in Legend.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Zephyr is another of those multi-lateral words that seems to refer to muliple things. Wind, trains, planes, typhoons, tornadoes, etc. Anything relating to movement or speed.
WD lyrics include "Free to roam the breeze in love"...??
...and Vic wants to complain about lyrics written by other people. :roll:

StrawberryFlower
Lyton Singer

Post by StrawberryFlower »

I thought Zephyr was one of the Greek gods of wind? O.o
^Check out our stuff and join our site! :3

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

StrawberryFlower wrote:I thought Zephyr was one of the Greek gods of wind? O.o
Well, Zephyrus, though Zephyr is a common shortening. Zephyrus is the west wind, Notus the south, Eurus the east, and Boreas the north, with Aeolus as their king.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Temzin wrote:
LuNaRtIc wrote:Wah! So Tempest isn't going to be Tempest?! ;0;
Whoo boy, that's going to be tough for me to take. xD I thought in the original Tempest was Temzin and Fresca was Pilya though? Am I missing something? D:
"Temzin" would have to be written テムジン, or Temujin, in Japanese. It could be that Game Arts had the English name first and then reversed it into Japanese, though it seems pretty unlikely that they would have stumbled upon Ghengis Khan's childhood name, Temujin, by accident.

Actually the original Pao village, according to highly Lunar educated sources, was stylized after a Mongolian villiage. Naming Tempest after Genghis Khan would be a "nod" to that.
Alunissage wrote:It's a very strange choice to elect to please the smallest number of people instead of the largest.
Kinda like listening to the Republicans in the House and Senate.
Aaron wrote:
Silver Phoenix wrote:
I forgot to add this in but apparently Xseed reads this forum.
What makes you think so? For all you know they could be reading posts by gripers on GameFaqs. :P
I wrote them a letter and they wrote back. They mentioned that they read a lot of forums.

Commenting on the translation:

The new names don't bother me so much. Although Jessica having a different last name from her dad is slightly irritating.
In a way, that is a bit bleh, because (De')Alkrik is the bees knees. Also, I know Jessica loves her father do I don't know why she wouldn't carry his name. Unless, she's already married to Kyle and has his name. Or... perhaps... here in America there was a woman's movement (It happened in Scandinavia too!) to take the mother's maiden name as ones last name instead of ones father's name as a sign of woman empowerment. If this is the case with Jess, then, more power to her.

Shiva Indis wrote:Background data explains that Mel added the 'de' to his name when he became governor of Meribia.
Oh, they just dropped the De'? That's not a big deal. I thought when Aaron said "different name" he meant something liek OMG SRS BZSNESS...
Silver Phoenix wrote:Perhaps you mean they'd be horrified to find out what goes on here. :lol:
I'll take full credit for that, horror TYVM :P
Lunar Eclipse wrote:... Er, there was never anything accidental about him becoming a Dragonmaster in the first place. In every incarnation of the game, he idolized Dyne and wanted to be a Dragonmaster to follow in his footsteps.
AH HA, okay, now I get to start disagreeing with people and LE, I'm going to have to disagree here. In Lunar: The Silver Star it is rarely outright said "OMFG ALEX YOU'RE GONNA BE THE DRAGONMASTER" a few NPCs DO say it in the game, but I remember someone writing on the WD forums that that each instance is a dialog bug in TSS (that Dialog was not meant to be spoken until after Quark is killed and you collect your first non-wing set of Dragonmaster Regalia) A few NPCs do comment on how he must be in line to have a great destiny because he has green eyes. (I think green eyes are meant to be a sign of a good destiny in general though...) But Alex just wants to be "a great hero, just like Dyne." (Nall, at Dyne's Memorial) He doesn't THINK he will become Dragonmaster he just looks to emulate his home town hero and become a brave adventurer.

TSS doesn't actually drop the "OMFG YOU'VE GOTTA BE DRAGONMASTER NOW" bomb until Ghaleon WTFpwns Quark. "Once I am gone... the Goddess will be vulnerable... to attack from Ghaleon. Ungh augh... Then...only a Dragonmaster... can save her. Alex, you... must become... that Hero." (Quark, White Dragon Cave upon revisit.) The entire game gifts then from "YAY I WENT ON AN ADVENTURE, I GOT SOME TREASURE, I MET A HERO, I'M BRINGING HIM HOME, MY FAMILY IS SO PROUD OF ME" to "FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-- NOW I GOTTA SAVE THE WORLD" (Apologies for the massive caps) I won't, however, deny that Lunar: SSSC basically says outright, all the time, from 9000+ NPCS that Alex is out to be the next Dragonmaster. It is one of my many complaints with that game. In the original it was meant to be a twist, a surprise, a necessity. Just a boy, looking for an adventure, having to step up and save the day. SSSC made it just... boring.
Lunar Eclipse wrote:"I too hope to heed the call of the wind."
"Following the call of the wind" is actually a common slang term for going on an adventure, getting wanderlust, etc. It's a safe conclusion to draw that that is what Alex means when he states that.
vireland wrote:Text
Damnit WD RPG WD we're not falling for it this time.
Last edited by Jenner on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Kinda like listening to the Republicans in the House and Senate.
Agreed. I really hate this country. Maybe if mass society wasn't just a bunch of ignorant idiots being led around like sheep the country could progress. In other countries the government is afraid of the people so it works for the people, but here the government controls everything and the people do nothing to get it to work for them. Don't even get me started on the latest Supreme Court Ruling. Democracy barely exists now, and it's nearly at it's end.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Silver Phoenix wrote:
Agreed. I really hate this country. Maybe if mass society wasn't just a bunch of ignorant idiots being led around like sheep the country could progress.
Although I agree the country has a number of problems, elitist condescension (wow, that word is hard to spell) is probably not the answer.

Also, didn't you hear Jenner? The Democrats only have 59 senators now, so they can't anything done. 59 < 41 QED.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It has nothing to do with being elitist. It has everything to do with people electing politicians who complain that their benefits are being taken and that they're being taxed when they do exactly that, take away their benefits and tax them. Then they (the people) complain about the "other" side and say they did nothing to help them.

There is something called a Filibuster(sp?) that makes it next to impossible to get anything done regardless of having a higher number of senators.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Silver Phoenix wrote: There is something called a Filibuster(sp?) that makes it next to impossible to get anything done regardless of having a higher number of senators.
That's not true. I mean, yeah, there is the filibuster, but there's been plenty done in the history of our country without a super majority. This is just media spin.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Werefrog wrote:
Silver Phoenix wrote:
Agreed. I really hate this country. Maybe if mass society wasn't just a bunch of ignorant idiots being led around like sheep the country could progress.
Although I agree the country has a number of problems, elitist condescension (wow, that word is hard to spell) is probably not the answer.

Also, didn't you hear Jenner? The Democrats only have 59 senators now, so they can't anything done. 59 < 41 QED.
Your comprehension of basic math is impressive! That, sadly, looks accurate.
Aaron wrote:@Kizyr
1.I understood your point. What pisses me off is that your point is irrelevant...
2.The worst part about it is the belittling tone used by you...
3.religious fanatism...
4.Victor Ireland said that the translation is literal to a fault. And you know what? I completely agree.

2. I sometimes think Kiz uses a belittling tone, in fact, sometimes he actually DOES. I don't think he has once so far. (But I might think differently were his ire directed at me.) As my grandfather once said, you may want to look at your reflection before you accuse people of ugliness Aaron because, if anything, I'm reading more bile and toxicity from your posts than his.

3. Oh no he di'nt!

4. Oh come on, we all know vireland is WD RPG WD messing around again.

Werefrog wrote:
Imperial Knight wrote:I suppose anything's possible but I doubt that's actually Vic.
Beware the false Vireland!

To me, it seems weird that Vic would start posting here now. There have been mentions before of Wings goofy lyrics (for the record, Wings was one of my favorite parts of Lunar when I first started playing, but I was like 13 at the time so...), so it seems weird that he would just now come here to defend the "honor" of his translation.
Kizyr wrote:
Imperial Knight wrote:I suppose anything's possible but I doubt that's actually Vic.
It's actually Vic. Both G1 and I have verified this. KF
Werefrog wrote:
Silver Phoenix wrote:These Lunar n00bs, they know little. He came out of the woodwork because the lyrics were being compared to XSEED's, and there was nothing to compare them to in the past. Pay attention! *cracks whip* :twisted:
I'm no noob nor is Imperial_Knight (formerly known as Scrambler on the WD board).

But, if Kizyr and G1 say it's Vic, I guess it's Vic (or Jenner in a convincing Vic disguise).
No seriously, its not me this time. In light of that, I can only assume Kizyr and I are not doing the April Fools prank this year.
Silver Phoenix wrote:...and Vic wants to complain about lyrics written by other people. :roll:
vireland wrote:YO XSEED, IM REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU, IMMA LET YOU FINISH BUT MY LYRICS WERE THE BEST LYRICS OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME.
I can see how you would come to that conclusion...
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Wow. Okay. I think Jenner just ended this argument. Nicholas Cage w/ a bird head + Tyra Banks in any situation = .
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

We're missing the picture that fates posted when I mentioned that Lady Gaga will be playing and voicing the role of Royce.