Overly formal language is overly formal...

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Overly formal language is overly formal...

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Kizyr is right about space limitations for text. SSH on PSP has a restriction on text limits so certain alterations had to be made to get the same point across compared to the previous remake on a console.

Lunar3coming
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar3coming »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Kizyr is right about space limitations for text. SSH on PSP has a restriction on text limits so certain alterations had to be made to get the same point across compared to the previous remake on a console.
This has made me wonder with SSH though. It looks as though there is only text on like half of the screen. Why doesn't it stretch all the way across? There's definitely enough screen space to make the sentences longer.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Maybe if they hadn't picked that tall, narrow font... :P

The Japanese version was the same way, BTW, but its script is so similar to SSS that I figured that the formatting was still tailored for SS/PS resolution.
「まあいいけど。」

Lunar3coming
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar3coming »

Shiva Indis wrote:Maybe if they hadn't picked that tall, narrow font... :P

The Japanese version was the same way, BTW, but its script is so similar to SSS that I figured that the formatting was still tailored for SS/PS resolution.
Bummer. I'd like to see how this stuff works. Too bad I don't work at a game company and all I do is play their games...

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It's a design choice, as having a text box fill the whole span of the screen is going to take away from the rest of the image. Do you notice how the screen shrinks and expands (after the text is gone) any time there is character interaction and text appears? I assume this is an issue with GameArts using the PSP architecture, because it wasn't easy for them according to statements.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think he (?) was talking about the dialogue boxes going all the way across the bottom of the screen but the lines of dialogue not going all the way across the box, leaving lots of whitespace, er, blackspace after the ends of lines. And yes, this is likely due to the PSP conversion. I'd asked XSEED about a related issue and apparently meshing the script with the PSP port caused all sorts of bugs and issues which were nontrivial to fix. I would guess that the short lines had to do with there being a larger number of text screens required for the Japanese text (since I don't recall seeing these odd line breaks in the import) than for the English text, which then had to be spread out to take up those extra screens. I would also attribute this largely to font issues, since Japanese is necessarily fixed-width, but note that this wasn't the case in SSSC because WD could and did edit the scenes and boxes to fit the English script. That kind of editing wasn't feasible for XSEED and they had to address the length discrepancy between English and Japanese text differently.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It seems to be the "invisible wall" case. It seems like there is more space for text but there actually isn't. All of the issues people are having with glitches are carried over from the Japanese release, and then new glitches appear because of the changes in the coding from Japanese to English. I'm curious as to why they had problems converting data on the PSP, but it could be a RAM issue.