Updates on Voice Actors? (English)

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Updates on Voice Actors? (English)

Post by Temzin »

On the other hand, this is hardly an extravagant relaunch of the series that will attract a whole new generation. Especially after three previous remakes, the fact that this is a mere PSP game, and the nonexistent advertising campaign beyond Japan, HOSS's odds of reaching significantly outside of the current Lunar/Game Arts fandom are nil.

That being the case, it's not entirely unreasonable to think that some of said previous American fans would be more excited by the classic cast, or at least a popular member like Truitt. Like, from what I understand, in America there was a significant enough clamor upon the release of the GBA version of Final Fantasy VI that they preserved a host of name changes and other inaccuracies from a decade-old translation, knowing that their limited audience would be at least somewhat nostalgic, rightly or wrongly. In the case of text translation, I wouldn't have made that choice, but I can understand the idea, and I see it all the more so in a more visceral medium like voice acting. This is why it was so alarming to have the super-dull Yanada as Ghaleon when the first remake appeared on Saturn instead of the classic Naya.
aka Maou

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zalbag »

LunarRaptor wrote:You are an incredibly shallow person.
Perhaps I am, perhaps not, it's in the eye of the beholder. Not going to spend $39.99 on something I don't want the way I would have wanted it. Would you pay $5.99 on a Hamburger with something you didn't like? Not many people I know would. I am not going to argue about it, but I am not saying this game is going to fall or destroy Lunar's Legacy, I am simply wanting to remember what I liked, and I should have from the beginning but usually if you are going to make a return, you kind of should have the originals that made it what it was, if this Lunar kicks more butt, more power to it.

With that said, I can say that I do hope it's more enjoyable, I'll wait till it's about $9.99 at a EB games in...4-5 years.
I carry [Dyne's Sword]

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

LunarRaptor wrote:I'm with Silver Pheonix here. Lunar is getting perhaps it's one last chance to be brought back.
I bet someone said the thing on each of the previous rereleases.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think he is referring to the "remakes" having one last chance, and not the series as a whole. If there were to be any more remakes they should only be Eternal Blue and possibly Magic School. That's it, no more remakes.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I think he is referring to the "remakes" having one last chance, and not the series as a whole. If there were to be any more remakes they should only be Eternal Blue and possibly Magic School. That's it, no more remakes.
I understand what you're saying, but you never know... maybe one day we'll get an HD remake.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I think he is referring to the "remakes" having one last chance, and not the series as a whole.
While I appreciate this idea, I don't think the series as a whole is stable enough to not support at this point. At least, I personally don't view supporting Lunar as optional. ^_^ Hopefully Xseed's confidence in the new voice will be justified and it won't need to be a sticking point.
Temzin wrote:Like, from what I understand, in America there was a significant enough clamor upon the release of the GBA version of Final Fantasy VI that they preserved a host of name changes and other inaccuracies from a decade-old translation, knowing that their limited audience would be at least somewhat nostalgic, rightly or wrongly.
Was that it? I was disappointed by how little was changed, and then I was astonished by complaints in blogs and forums about what was changed. :| What happened to the old, unreasonable anti-Woolsey rage??
Temzin wrote:This is why it was so alarming to have the super-dull Yanada as Ghaleon when the first remake appeared on Saturn instead of the classic Naya.
Yanada-Ghaleon is the odd man out, but I'm not complaining. Yanada's voice is sexy. :mrgreen:
「まあいいけど。」

Sagagadego'09
Saith Pirate

Post by Sagagadego'09 »

English Website up
http://www.lunarsilverstarharmony.com/
voice actor guesses!

Alex-Yuri LOWENTHAL
Luna- ????
Nall- Spike Spencer
Ramus-????
Nash-????
Mia-????
Jessica- sounds like amanda winn lee
Kyle-????
Mel- ????
Lemia-????
Ghaleon- sounds like Kyle Heybert

also gonna try out the english demo.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Here's an article I just found... Spike Spencer is correct. :)

http://www.anime-pulse.com/2010/01/14/s ... r-harmony/

EDIT:

Geez I posted this before I finished typing somehow ^^;

I just got back from the new site having listened to the voices. I have to say, I don't hate Ghaleon's new VA. I think because I'm such a diehard JT fan it will take some getting used to, but at least from that one clip, it's not bad.

Of course I will reserve my official opinions until I've played and completed the game. :)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Interesting that he is voicing two extremely different characters. Nall, and Eiphel.

I have to say, they really should have come up with something better as Aiferun was far better than Eiphel.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Yowch, that is a vile, vile Luna voice. Totally out of character, besides being un-pretty. Ah well!
aka Maou

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I was going through some of the notes on the website, and Caldor Isle is now known as Honmel Isle (wtf?) and Illuk is spelled with two L's instead of one. Those are the only changes I've noticed listed on the SSH homepage.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I don't like the voices,
Alex, is ok, i preferred the old voice, but i could probably get use to it. I don't like Luna's voice at all, it should be more sweet sounding. Nall's is extra horrible, Nash terrible, Mia is pretty good sounds kind of like the original, Jessica is pretty close to the original too, and is ok. Kyles i really dident like but its hard to tell since it was the drunk scene but still in the old voice actor sounded good doing that scene and Ghaleon is pretty good.
Lemia and Ramus's voices are also pretty good, Mel's is a little weird but not that bad.

I was a little disappointed by the old cast not returning but i was open to a new cast and curious about how they would sound, and I'm very disappointed, and not just because i wanted the old cast. I love voices, but most of those voices aren't lovable

I got my friend to listen to the voices, shes hasn't played Lunar yet but i'v been showing here stuff from it since we met 6 years ago and some of her responses where
"LOLOL OMG AT NASH, I think thats the guy who played Yugi" "I like Ghaleon! He sounds like a suave vampire" when asked about Nall " ITs..... cute. But I like the original nall, The voice is cute, The voice on nall, is eh"

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Sagagadego'09 wrote:Jessica- sounds like amanda winn lee
I'm actually almost positive it's Michelle Ruff.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Interesting that he is voicing two extremely different characters. Nall, and Eiphel.
Look, a man provides a Nall voice. Do you have a direct line to the VA casting gods, SP? ^_^
Silver Phoenix wrote:I was going through some of the notes on the website, and Caldor Isle is now known as Honmel Isle (wtf?) and Illuk is spelled with two L's instead of one.
Caldor was a WD change; odd that Ubisoft kept it and Xseed is dropping it, but I'm fine either way, myself. Missed the extra letter in Iluk though.
Kaiya-Sky wrote:I don't like Luna's voice at all, it should be more sweet sounding.
Though I reserve judgement on the VA's abilities for now, I'm with you on missing the old, warmer Luna voice. The new one has a lot of the same traits as the Japanese SSS VA, but the old one sounded more like the Japanese TSS VA. Kikuko Inoue > Kyouko Hikami even by proxy. ^_^
「まあいいけど。」

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I know about AWL, I got to meet her once at a con a long time ago. Some people are saying that Lisa Ortiz is doing Jessica's voice, but I don't hear it. I think Lisa has a pretty distinctive voice too. Some one said Dan Greene was Kyle! Maybe he does Nash too... or it's just Little Kuriboh j/k :p

Some of the other people you guys are listing I'm unfamiliar with, I'm assuming they are current day anime voice actors? I guess that's good in some ways, but I haven't been too impressed with voice acting quality in anime recently. It could be that I'm just picky but I'm not so sure. After all I found out that Alessandro Guliani (Gaeta) from Battlestar Gallactica did L's voice from DeathNote and when I watched a clip on Youtube I was pretty taken aback to put it nicely. ^^; And I really like and respect him as an actor too. I guess the VAs do the best they can with what they are given though. I mean I think in the end it's the directors word but I'm wondering if that would clue ppl in to looking for new ones?

ANYways, sorry for digressing. I like the voice overall. It's really hard to tell from the clips... I also started the demo last night but I had to turn it off prematurely. But before I did I was able to hear some new voices and honestly, I'm not sure I like Luna. I've always felt that she should be soften spoken with a pretty sounding voice. Now she just sounds annoying :( I don't mind Alex's VA at all, I still think Ramus was an improvement. I was okay with Nall's voice though it's a little rough to listen to in some spots. I liked Quark's voice I thought it was good.

I think right now it's hard for some of us hardcore fans to hear them since we are so used to the originals. I know for me the series holds a lot of nostaglia.

Anyhow I better git or I'll be late for work. Take care everyone! :)

Erasculio
Reza Thief

Post by Erasculio »

Sagagadego'09 wrote: Mia-????
I have a strong feeling that's Felicia Day.

Erasculio

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I was going through some of the notes on the website, and Caldor Isle is now known as Honmel Isle (wtf?) and Illuk is spelled with two L's instead of one. Those are the only changes I've noticed listed on the SSH homepage.
The Weird Woods are now the Ghoto Woods :roll:

It's also weird seeing Alex, Luna, Ramus, and Nash with their last names. Why no last name for Kyle? I always thought the Jessica's full name was Jessica De Alkirk, like her dad Mel. *shrugs* Guess not...
Last edited by liquidpolicenaut on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Beats Goat Forest. ::shrug::
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Look, a man provides a Nall voice. Do you have a direct line to the VA casting gods, SP? ^_^
I can't say I do as I probably would have chosen some alternates (Nash), but as much as the Nall voice is a shock for most people I think it's justified. He sounds like a male now, and that's what doesn't sit right with people. I think the only female-voiced male animals sound best when spoken by an ultra cutesy Japanese girl, because their tone just makes them that much cuter in character. Now let me see if I can use my Phoenix powers to send thoughts into the minds at GameArts to get cracking on Lunar 3.

I know why they chose the VA for Luna, and it has more to do with Dark Althena. I guess they wanted the voice to fit more naturally between the transition of the character.

Also, is Honmel Isle and Ghoto Woods more of an accurate translation from the Japanese version? Goat Woods, wtf?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, Goat Woods was used in Lunar DS as well.
-G1