Updates on Voice Actors? (English)

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Updates on Voice Actors? (English)

Post by Silver Phoenix »

DS was it's own game, are you referring to Lunar Legend on the GBA using Goat Woods? In actuality Goat Forest as Shiva mentioned.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Also, is Honmel Isle and Ghoto Woods more of an accurate translation from the Japanese version? Goat Woods, wtf?
Honmel Island and Ghoto Woods/Forest is closer to the original words than how WD translated it.

I detailed most of those in the Differences articles:
http://www.lunar-net.com/tss/tss_diff.php
http://www.lunar-net.com/sssc/sss_diff.php
KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Can I rage on how much I dislike Spike Spencer as Nall??
(He's a good actor sure enough. Just not as my Nall please! I'll be hearing Shinji Ikari the whole time! :cry: )

EDIT:
Also, I guess Spike will be voicing Eiphel too: http://voiceactors.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... e-spencer/
Will be interesting to see who they get for the rest of the cast. (Tempest, Phacia, Royce, etc.)
Last edited by LuNaRtIc on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

KnightofAncient
Saith Pirate

Post by KnightofAncient »

Victor Ireland confirmed in his post at Neogaf that the vocal singer for the opening is Jennifer Stigile.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=491

Im guessing she is also doing Wind's Nocturne.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I thought it sounded like her! But I figured if they didn't get other actors that it must have been someone else. Still wish they had Truitt as Ghaleon, but I'm open minded and will give the new bloke a chance. I don't think any of the actors are bad honestly. Nall's seems weird, but probably because I'm used to the high-pitched version that WD had. I'll start playing the demo later tonight.
-G1

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

I think it's pretty rude of Victor Ireland to have expected all the original actors and actresses to have stuck with him exclusively and to suggest that Jenny Stigile should be "ashamed" for "breaking rank".
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

KnightofAncient wrote:Victor Ireland confirmed in his post at Neogaf that the vocal singer for the opening is Jennifer Stigile.
I was 95% sure that was Jenny, but couldn't tell right away. :lol: I'm really happy that she did the opening. Her voice sounds more mature. I didn't think it was possible for her singing to improve anymore, she's lovely!
Lunar Eclipse wrote:I think it's pretty rude of Victor Ireland to have expected all the original actors and actresses to have stuck with him exclusively and to suggest that Jenny Stigile should be "ashamed" for "breaking rank".
Looks like some drama there. I don't think Vic was saying she should be ashamed, but rather he would've done a better job. That Jenny might be disappointed by XSeed's work. Not necessarily that she should be ashamed for working with them? :|
Anyway, I wonder if this means they had Jenny do Royce again? I think that would be fantastic. And maybe they were trying to get John Truitt for Ghaleon, but he was "standing behind" Vic and wouldn't work with them? Who knows. D:
Last edited by LuNaRtIc on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

KnightofAncient
Saith Pirate

LuNaRtIc wrote:
Lunar Eclipse wrote:I think it's pretty rude of Victor Ireland to have expected all the original actors and actresses to have stuck with him exclusively and to suggest that Jenny Stigile should be "ashamed" for "breaking rank".
Looks like some drama there. I don't think Vic was saying she should be ashamed, but rather he would've done a better job. That Jenny might be disappointed by XSeed's work. Not necessarily that she should be ashamed for working with them? :|
Anyway, I wonder if this means they had Jenny do Royce again? I think that would be fantastic. And maybe they were trying to get John Truitt for Ghaleon, but he was "standing behind" Vic and wouldn't work with them? Who knows. D:

Offtopic: Yes there was drama, Victor Ireland did post earlier in that same thread that he offered to work with XSEED on the project. He also had the previous VA's available to redo the roles, but that plan did not come to be for reasons he could not say. You can sense some frustration in Vic's post because of that.
Last edited by KnightofAncient on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Vic is a pompous ass, and always has been. "No one can do it better than me, my games go to 11!" Maybe you should try having a conversation on the phone with him like I did so many years ago.

Waaah, XSEED told me to go suck one and Zophar plans to revive Working Designs. One thing is for sure, this game wouldn't even be coming out until next Fall at the earliest if it were in his hands. Just because WD translated the originals doesn't mean they are the only company that is capable. I like the original voices because it's what we had for so many years, but the performances were far from perfect. Things changed, and this is what we have now. We could have nothing at all and then people would be complaining about it. At least this wasn't done by Ubisoft.

I also thought it was Jenny Stigile singing, because I recognized her limited range right away. It always sounds like she's holding back. Are you at least content to have something familiar? Yes, the voices could be better in some cases but they could also be far worse.
Last edited by Silver Phoenix on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KnightofAncient
Saith Pirate

I am not defending Vic in anyway, but I can understand why he is upset but the words he used in the post does show some dislike.
Last edited by KnightofAncient on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

Victor can be pompous, but it's not like it's for bad reason. Working Designs were a genuinely awesome company, and brought us many awesome games that no one else would have.

They always did a good localization, too. WD were consistent. Some companies could learn from that.

I think it's pretty rude of Victor Ireland to have expected all the original actors and actresses to have stuck with him exclusively and to suggest that Jenny Stigile should be "ashamed" for "breaking rank".
Wait, he said that? Now that's just uncalled for.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Of course he's going to be upset because Lunar was his shining moment, and now he doesn't have control over it. If he wanted it so bad he should have paid for the rights again. Let's see, he didn't want to be bothered but yet he still wants to have some control over it.

This remake isn't supposed to feel like more of the same, regardless of how nostalgic we are about the series. There will always be things we like, and things we really don't. We're the fanbase, but we have no control in the final product without making ourselves heard. If you have a problem, tell XSEED so they're aware of it.

KnightofAncient
Saith Pirate

I am not sure if your referring to me, but ill answer that question. I have no problems with XSEED's plan for the game. Im happy with the changes and cant wait to hear the rest of the characters. The new Lyrics does fit the game more in my opinion. Also after hearing Alex's VA repeatedly, I kind of feel that it brings out more of his personality.
Last edited by KnightofAncient on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I've never talked to Vic. (I only bought a Nall plushie off him YEARS ago lol.) I don't know him in the slightest, so I'm not going to talk smack. But after localizing TSS, EB and the Playstation remakes, I imagine Lunar is very dear to his heart. It's only natural he'd want to do SSH as well. I can understand if he's upset over not having that chance.
I grew up on Lunar, like a lot of people here. Lunar is responsible for my love of voice over. I was so influenced by the original actors. I realize they weren't necessarily professional, and there could've been a lot of improvement. But they touched my heart nonetheless. Playing Lunar is like visiting old friends for me. The nostalgia factor is huge. So when I finally do get to play SSH, the characters won't feel as warm and familiar. And in turn, a little bit of the Lunar magic will be lost.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful. I mentioned in the other thread (About the North American site being launched.) how I'm happy we're getting SSH at all. And that I'm giving the new cast a chance. I'm happy with how XSEED is handling the game. They're putting a lot of care and hard work into it, no doubt. They're trying to make old Lunar fogies like myself happy. And at the same time they're trying to make it fresh and exciting for new gamers as well. If the voice acting bothers me THAT much, then I'll just pop in the Playstation version and everything will be fine. :)
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

If I were Victor, I'd be glad to get rid of Lunar. Outside of the continued remakes, the series is continually going downhill.

It's arguably been on a downward spiral since they lost Studio Alex.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I won't get into the whole pro/con WD thing, but I never had a problem with Vic personally. He was always super kind to me in any role I played with any version of LunarNET that ever existed. I daresay that LunarNET (and likely RPGFan and GamesAreFun.com after it) probably wouldn't be half as good as it was without his support. Plus, I'll always be in-debt to Vic over the Shining Wisdom contest thing (when a bloke hands you 10 grand for playing video games, you don't scoff :P)

All that said, I'm still interested in seeing how the XSEED version of Lunar comes out. I'll admit, I haven't worked with them to any real extent compared to Working Designs or UbiSoft in regards to this title, but they seemed a pleasure to deal with so far, and seem genuinely interested in making a good product from what I can tell. I hope it comes out that way too. It'll be hard to play without Truitt as Ghaleon, from my own personal perspective, but at least we'll get a different take to see something a bit fresh. I just hope it sells well and GameArts/Gungho do something more with the series.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

All the game needs is exposure, and it may possibly sell better here than in Japan. Does anyone have the total figures for Japan's release thus far?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'd like to know that myself. All we've found so far is the first weeks sales in Japan, and pre-sales here in the US are already above Japan's total first week sales. (check one of the recent site updates for the exact amount - I think it was around 15,000+ so far though) Considering XSEED is just now starting to promote it heavily, I imagine there will be quite a bit more pre-sales to come.
-G1

joker_mausland
Pao Hunter

Post by joker_mausland »

I'm probably going to get yelled at for saying this, but I really like Ghaleon's new voice in comparison to his old. When I played L2EBC and LSSS I thought his voice was too nasally for his character. However, this time around it feels to me like this voice actor suits him better. :-)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I like John Truitt a lot, but as I've said before this characterization of Ghaleon needed something different and more regal sounding. It's a change that a lot of people can't comprehend.

The only thing that irked me a little bit was hearing Ghaleon's new VA say "I am Ghaleahn." At least that's what the sample sounded like. I really think he'll be just fine, and will hopefully surprise us with some edge.