Updates on Voice Actors? (English)

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Updates on Voice Actors? (English)

Post by Silver Phoenix »

*Cues the major boss battle theme from Lunar: The Silver Star*

Silver Phoenix draws his sword with an epic battle stance.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Chill with all the anti-Vic stuff a bit. I'm not telling you you can't have your opinions, but half of this is pointless bashing. Leave it be, please. I've had these forums here without any of the pro/anti WD stuff for almost a decade now. I don't want it being dragged back up here. All it does is start flamewars.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Very true. The only way it should be brought up is completely lacking in seriousness.

The Dark Scimitar business is just plain funny because of all the drama, manufactured or otherwise, that ensued from it. Add a decade, and you can look back on it and laugh. At least, I should hope folks can.

The business about still not needing the ocarina at the end of SSS surprised me, too, when I finally got around to playing all the Japanese and English versions side-by-side. (This is the case in both the Saturn regular and Playstation versions; while I haven't played the Saturn MPEG version, there's no indication in strategy guides or message boards that they actually changed anything.)

I still like SP's criticism because it keeps the veneration of Working Designs in check. They did a lot of things good, but there's a serious need (as both SP and Rudo put it) to avoid the whole "everything old is better, everything new sucks" sort of mentality you get with any series whose fanbase has been around for a while (a variant of this is the "everything in Japanese is better" thing that you get into with anime and JRPG fans). That applies to voice actors, the translation, everything.

On the flip side, WD did bring us the original games, and the first round of remakes. So there's no sense in oversteering the other way and getting into just a bunch of WD-bashing. That crap got old back in the '90s.

After the actual game is released, we'll work on putting together a translation differences guide, by the way. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

GhaleonOne wrote:Chill with all the anti-Vic stuff a bit. I'm not telling you you can't have your opinions, but half of this is pointless bashing. Leave it be, please. I've had these forums here without any of the pro/anti WD stuff for almost a decade now. I don't want it being dragged back up here. All it does is start flamewars.
Should we not bring up his posts on NeoGAF here, then? I didn't mean to cause any problems with those, so I apologize if that's the case. I too disapprove of the posts that just mock him continually, but I'd still like to be able to discuss his commentary in a more civilized fashion if that's at all possible. After all, I'm also very grateful to him for bringing the original games over, and you've clearly had a very good relationship with him that you wouldn't want to damage in any way, but I do think that some of his comments, considering they were made publicly, warrant discussion.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:Should we not bring up his posts on NeoGAF here, then? I didn't mean to cause any problems with those, so I apologize if that's the case. I too disapprove of the posts that just mock him continually, but I'd still like to be able to discuss his commentary in a more civilized fashion if that's at all possible. After all, I'm also very grateful to him for bringing the original games over, and you've clearly had a very good relationship with him that you wouldn't want to damage in any way, but I do think that some of his comments, considering they were made publicly, warrant discussion.
No, no, that's perfectly fine. I don't mind discussing the NeoGAF comments. My only real point is that these boards have been a pretty good safe haven over the past 10 years to leave all the heated pro/anti WD stuff at the door. I'd like to keep it that way. I just don't want to see a bunch of 10 year old flamewars re-ignited here. My post was more or less an effort to keep it from starting before it even gets started.
-G1

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:avoid the whole "everything old is better, everything new sucks" sort of mentality you get with any series whose fanbase has been around for a while (a variant of this is the "everything in Japanese is better" thing that you get into with anime and JRPG fans)...
When a game is remade, and in the process of "re-making" the developers completely remove and/or change really awesome things that happened in the original game and then add on extraneous rubbish that, while neat and shiney, drags the game on too long... I think it's safe to say that those of us who acknowledge the original games as the best of the games are not being unreasonable.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Any of my comments are both factual in nature, or purely satirical. As an original fan I can make accurate statements, and also critique the old versus the new. I'm going to defend what needs defending on both sides of the fence.

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

Jenner wrote:
Kizyr wrote:avoid the whole "everything old is better, everything new sucks" sort of mentality you get with any series whose fanbase has been around for a while (a variant of this is the "everything in Japanese is better" thing that you get into with anime and JRPG fans)...
When a game is remade, and in the process of "re-making" the developers completely remove and/or change really awesome things that happened in the original game and then add on extraneous rubbish that, while neat and shiney, drags the game on too long... I think it's safe to say that those of us who acknowledge the original games as the best of the games are not being unreasonable.
I agree with this statement in theory. I'll be up front and say that I did not catch on to the series until the Playstation games so until I play those Sega CD versions I'll never be able to call anything the definitive version.

That being said it's hasty and rash to say anything is "rubbish" or "drags the game on too long" before actually seeing it in context.
† Final Night †

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Some people complained that Eternal Blue was far too long, and drawn out. In some ways it's true, but when you get down to it I'd prefer a longer game with good overall substance than something short and sweet. I like my rpgs to last, or at least keep on giving.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Hm, so, not sure if anyone noticed, but Royce, Phacia, and Laike are up on YouTube. I really like Royce, and I know Joe J. Thomas will bring life to Laike, particularly in his funnier scenes. It's odd that Phacia's voice actress is the same as Jessica's (or at least I think they're both Michelle Ruff), but at least she's generally a good actress, I suppose. XD
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Hmm, I guess they didn't get Jenny to play Royce....still sounds good though. Once again, no complaints here.

Lyriel
Lyton Singer

Post by Lyriel »

I preferred Jenny as Royce, personally. The new VA sounds too perky and sweet, neither of which can be used to describe Royce's character in any way. She should be exotic and mysterious.

Phacia's new voice is really nice. She was overdone in WD, but just about right here. Oddly, I think I would prefer Royce's new VA for Phacia a bit more, however. I'd have to say this was one of the voices I was most worried about, because she's one of my favorite characters.

I like Laike. Good-natured and a bit carefree - that's Laike.
One must only believe that the Light of Hope will always shine brightly.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

OMG, they SUCKKKKKK! /end sarcasm 8-)

I agree with Royce sounding overly sweet, but I assume that is her introduction dialogue and you may see a change in tone later once she's revealed.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

In the Japanese version Royce is sort of a "little devil" character with an ironically saccharine speech pattern, while WD's version was, as Lyriel said, exotic and mysterious. I can imagine Xseed going for something closer to the original with the high pitched voice, but it's hard to gauge how she'll be characterized from this one clip.
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well it's the same problem we have with everything else. You can't judge everything based on such a small sample which everyone is doing. Let's just say this, the voicing is intelligible and makes sense for the character. However, what people are used to and what they'll get is always an issue with a "remake/re-imagining."

I think this month we'll see people getting a lot more excited for the game, regardless of their apprehensions.

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

Shiva Indis wrote:In the Japanese version Royce is sort of a "little devil" character with an ironically saccharine speech pattern, while WD's version was, as Lyriel said, exotic and mysterious. I can imagine Xseed going for something closer to the original with the high pitched voice, but it's hard to gauge how she'll be characterized from this one clip.
That's pretty interesting.
† Final Night †

StrawberryFlower
Lyton Singer

Post by StrawberryFlower »

This is about voice acting, so I thought I'd say it here. XD

Since I had forgotten all about the old voice actors, I went and watched them all on youtube the other day. I remember a lot of people getting sad about them leaving, but I was thinking these old ones don't sound that good. o.O

So thus, I welcome the new voice actors with open arms! Nall is exactly the way my boyfriend envisioned him to sound like. He thought he was going to have a little boy's voice when he started playing the PSX version, then a high-pitched squeaky voice came out instead. O.O And Luna's old voice sounds... fake? I don't know. It wasn't the best, so the new one will probably be better in my opinion. I think it'll all be spiffy! :D
^Check out our stuff and join our site! :3

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

My points exactly. People are so hell bent on crucifying these new voice actors when the original VA's were amateur at best (save for a few). I would not want Ashley Angel voicing Alex again, because frankly he just doesn't fit the character like he did when he was younger.
People are complaining about Yuri Lowenthal being overused in games/anime, but it doesn't bother me because this is the first time I'm hearing him and he's great as Alex.

I will surely enjoy this refreshed Lunar over the same-old that most seem to want so badly. I've got 17+ years of history with this series.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Silver Phoenix wrote:My points exactly. People are so hell bent on crucifying these new voice actors when the original VA's were amateur at best (save for a few). I would not want Ashley Angel voicing Alex again, because frankly he just doesn't fit the character like he did when he was younger.
People are complaining about Yuri Lowenthal being overused in games/anime, but it doesn't bother me because this is the first time I'm hearing him and he's great as Alex.

I will surely enjoy this refreshed Lunar over the same-old that most seem to want so badly. I've got 17+ years of history with this series.
I couldn't agree more. The only person I liked out of the original VAs was John Truitt. Yuri's actually perfect for Alex, surprisingly. I didn't expect him to be, but he was.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

That's how I felt when I heard Alex' new VA even though I was unaware of who voiced him in SSH. It just re-affirmed for when I was watching some Silver Star Story Complete videos how bad some of the voices actually were for the characters they were portraying. I thought John Truitt was amazing as Ghaleon in TSS, but something just didn't feel right when I played SSSC.

GhaleonOne and I both agree that John Truitt's best performance was in Eternal Blue. However, I am really excited to hear all of Ghaleon's new voice actor in SSH.

XSEED has just put up some more images on Facebook, and they are doing a fantastic job of retaining what people liked so much about Working Designs script while adding their own flair. I feel confident that this company is handling the game properly, and it shows.