Updates on Voice Actors? (English)

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Updates on Voice Actors? (English)

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You're a bit late in the game, but those too lazy to look will probably appreciate the post.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I bet these people are good guessers. I'm sure they're better than me, anyway. :P - http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1710317
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I have no idea who any of these people are anyway. At least not that I'm aware of. Other than Jenny Stigile of course.

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

Some of, if not all of, Working Designs games still hold up as being very playable today, especially Dragon Force and the Lunars, and a lot of that is thanks to their great scriptwriting, so I'll always have respect for Vic for that.

He also had good taste in what games they decided to localize.

Who else would have cared about a gem like Elemental Gearbolt?

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I would love to see an HD Dragon Force game, or a remake. It's been a very long time since I even played it. For all of these companies to remake games, the ones that really would benefit from a remake or a sequel never get made.

Rudo
Saith Pirate

Post by Rudo »

I have to agree with Silver Phoenix here, as Lunar fans, we gotta be able to move past Working Designs and accept some changes. WD was great for its time but I don't think they would be good for today's market. Just the constant delays would be unacceptable nowadays especially in comparison to all the other companies that do the same kind of work (Atlus, NISA, XSEED, etc.). I also think that in order for this new Lunar to work, we need to have some new things to look forward to or else we'd just be replaying the same thing again. As such, we might as well replay the PSX version anyway. Personally, I'm looking forward to replaying the game again but I look forward to the changes which include the new voice acting, the new graphics, the better music and some of the new dialogue and script. At least the game will feel more "new" than just a standard remake.

As for people complaining about the new voice acting, personally I don't think it's that bad, I even think it's pretty good. I mean, at least these actors can actually "act" which is more than we can say for some of the old games I've played in my past like Symphony of the Night or the battle voices in Shining Force 3 on Saturn (probably the worst ever voices for me). I have no problem with having new voice actors as I don't think the original voice actors were THAT good. Yeah, we liked them back then but it was mostly because most games had "worse" voice actors. I don't think these old voices would be good enough today. Yes, I'll miss Truitt as Ghaleon because it's a classic but that's also because of nostalgia.

I also wanted to comment on what Vic said on the Gaf forums. I can't believe he would imply that the original voice actors need to stick together and that Jennifer broke rank by accepting to do the singing parts. No offense to any of those voice actors but don't they also need to work and pay bills? It's not like these people have offers lining up at their door. Good for Jennifer to take the job and go against Vic. What does she have to be loyal for anyway? She's a voice actress, that's all, she's not Vic's daughter or anything. It's business and she was offered a job. She'd be stupid to turn it down. I don't get why the others turned down the offer from XSEED. It's not like they need to stay loyal to Vic as if Vic is going to be their meal ticket one day.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've been able to talk about Lunar and I'm really looking forward to playing it again! Can't believe it's been almost 15 years since the old Lunar Threads days on Dave Z's Sega Saturn Page. Time sure flies.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Nice to see you again, Rudo.

It's nice to read an open-minded response from one of the original fans like myself. As I've said, you can't let nostalgia deem what is the right course of action for a new experience. Lunar needed something "new," and yes force-feeding the old just to please WD zealots is not smart. They do not exist anymore, the year is 2010 and the world has changed along with the audience.

It is better to have a respectable transition over a botched one because you were trying to please everyone. In fact, XSEED IS trying to please everyone but even they said they can't please everyone. You could have an entirely new dull script with horrible voice acting and that would be something to complain about. The demo is not the full game, and I'm sure the game itself will be as worthy as the past WD titles. No, it won't be the same because guess what? It's not Working Designs releasing it.

At this point they don't even deserve acknowledgment because of Vic's immature pissy brat attitude, and there's a reason Game Arts didn't even like dealing with his ego and demands. Now guy buy a PSP and play the game, and thank XSEED for bringing us the game in the first place.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Regarding Vic's comments, I'm sorry to say that I don't even totally believe him. He's lied before. Remember when he said that the Japanese versions of SSSC incorporated WD's addition of needing to use the harp to wake Luna up at the end of TSS? Take everything this man says with a grain of salt.

Rudo
Saith Pirate

Post by Rudo »

Wow, talk about a flashback, that's a quote from an interview I did with Vic back at E3 1998!

Here's the link:
http://www.rpgfan.com/features/vicinter ... ndex4.html

And let's not forget this nugget of a quote the year after at the E3 99 interview:

"I'll say one thing about Lunar 3. It's coming sooner than people expect but not in the manner that people think."

Now, I'm still waiting to understand what the -Fatal Hopper- he was talking about. He sure was right about "not in the manner that people think" though, people really didn't expect Lunar 3 to come out in another dimension where we can't even play it! That was a surprise :).

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Maybe he new about Lunar DS before everyone else D:

And the "not in a manner that people think" was a funny way of saying "a bad game".

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:Regarding Vic's comments, I'm sorry to say that I don't even totally believe him. He's lied before. Remember when he said that the Japanese versions of SSSC incorporated WD's addition of needing to use the harp to wake Luna up at the end of TSS? Take everything this man says with a grain of salt.
DARK SCIMITAR.
Ok I'm done. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I'm going to be giving you a "Making of my Lies" cd as a bonus pack-in of the game you'll never get to play. If Hyperbole isn't tattooed on his forehead, it's surely stitched on his ass.

Lunar 3 actually was in planning stages back then, but the writers couldn't commit to a story so it became vaporware. Dragon Song was a later development that had nothing to do with it. Don't forget at the time that Grandia became the focus for GameArts, so Lunar was put on the backburner. Grandia was most likely what he was referring to, but even he didn't know for sure.

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Dragon Song was a later development that had nothing to do with it. Don't forget at the time that Grandia became the focus for GameArts, so Lunar was put on the backburner. Grandia was most likely what he was referring to, but even he didn't know for sure.
I don't know. Didn't Vic invent the Nintendo DS also? :roll:
† Final Night †

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Maybe, but I know he invented the internet and flushable wipes.

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Vic invented inventing.

cxt217
Meryod Yokel

Post by cxt217 »

Shiva Indis wrote:I bet these people are good guessers. I'm sure they're better than me, anyway. :P - http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1710317
Thank you, from me anyway.

The confirmation of Spike Spencer's character was something I did not see before, so thank you for that.

C.T.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I'm going to be giving you a "Making of my Lies" cd as a bonus pack-in of the game you'll never get to play. If Hyperbole isn't tattooed on his forehead, it's surely stitched on his ass.

Lunar 3 actually was in planning stages back then, but the writers couldn't commit to a story so it became vaporware. Dragon Song was a later development that had nothing to do with it. Don't forget at the time that Grandia became the focus for GameArts, so Lunar was put on the backburner. Grandia was most likely what he was referring to, but even he didn't know for sure.
I don't know if you ever played Grandia 3, but I was getting crazy Lunar vibes when I was playing through it. Part of me wondered if it started as Lunar 3, then became Grandia 3 mid-development. I'm not sure how to spoiler tag here so I won't get into the reasons why.

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

whitedragon_nall wrote: I don't know if you ever played Grandia 3, but I was getting crazy Lunar vibes when I was playing through it. Part of me wondered if it started as Lunar 3, then became Grandia 3 mid-development. I'm not sure how to spoiler tag here so I won't get into the reasons why.
I enjoyed Grandia II. Now you're intriguing me to go out and find III.

Anyway voice actors and Vic... I enjoy the voice actors just fine. Maybe I'm not as pick as others when it comes to things like that, but so far so good!
† Final Night †

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

fates wrote:Vic invented inventing.
^This. Vic also invented Global Warming, and he's the primary cause of it.

As for Grandia 3 I never played it. I was curious about it, but it looked like the battle system became too action oriented and I wasn't sure I'd be into it. A lot of people complain that Grandia 2 ripped-off Eternal Blue, but I never even thought of it while playing. I liked both Grandia 1 and 2 a lot, moreso 2 as I could play it in English. I wouldn't touch the US version of Grandia as the Saturn version is all I need.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:
ilovemyguitar wrote:Regarding Vic's comments, I'm sorry to say that I don't even totally believe him. He's lied before. Remember when he said that the Japanese versions of SSSC incorporated WD's addition of needing to use the harp to wake Luna up at the end of TSS? Take everything this man says with a grain of salt.
DARK SCIMITAR.
Ok I'm done. KF
You mentioned the forbidden words! Aren't we all supposed to start fighting now?