Updates on Voice Actors? (English)

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Updates on Voice Actors? (English)

Post by Monde Luna »

Silver Phoenix wrote: XSEED has just put up some more images on Facebook, and they are doing a fantastic job of retaining what people liked so much about Working Designs script while adding their own flair. I feel confident that this company is handling the game properly, and it shows.
I agree, I was very pleased w/ the new screenshots that I saw. I was particularly pleased w/ how the transmission spring turned out. That one screenshot did a great job at telling the story of Vane.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I like the transmission spring image as well. It's a shame that their debug machine (?) seems to be the only way they can capture screenshots to display instead of high-res images.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

It is a shame, but hopefully everyone can imagine what it is really going to look like. All I can say is i'm excited.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I hate to do this, but when I mentioned something about Ghaleon not sounding right in SSSC this is one of the reasons why.

If anyone thinks this sounds good, I'm going to revoke your Lunar membership.

*Spoiler Megazord Warning*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anp4lD6E ... re=related

Spoiler Text here:

John Truitt as Ghaleon is generally good, but I don't know wtf Working Designs did to his voice as the Magic Emperor because it is phucking horrible. Okay, I can understand voice distortion for the costume change but it just wasn't executed well at all. It sounds like it was altered so much that the voice actually loses consistency while speaking, and you completely lose what made JT's voice as Ghaleon so good. He certainly sounded a hell of a lot better as the Magic Emperor in the Sega CD version.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

LMAO! I Knew what the scene was gonna be before I clicked the link. Never did like it. The "Not Ghaleon, dear Quark....Magic Emperor Ghaleon!" line always came off as cheesy to me too.
Last edited by whitedragon_nall on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well, I had forgotten how bad that scene was until I rewatched it. However, you should have seen my face the first time I watched it when the remake came out. That was a giant pile of WTF!?

You might want to use a light color for the spoiler text referring to you know who. Of course we all know, but for any of the 1/1,000,000th who haven't played the game and are visiting the site.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Oops, my bad. :shock:

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It happens, and it's just safer to cover all the bases. :P Is it just me or did it remind you of someone playing a record backwards?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Shiva Indis wrote:In the Japanese version Royce is sort of a "little devil" character with an ironically saccharine speech pattern, while WD's version was, as Lyriel said, exotic and mysterious. I can imagine Xseed going for something closer to the original with the high pitched voice, but it's hard to gauge how she'll be characterized from this one clip.
Thanks for explaining that. I never could reconcile Funato's early sketches of Royce with the personality I'd seen in the game. It was impossible to imagine that curly-haired little girl talking with quiet menace.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Silver Phoenix wrote: Is it just me or did it remind you of someone playing a record backwards?
You mean by how slow and drawn out Ghaleon's words were? Yeah. Great job making an important scene sound awkward.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yes, the distortion was extremely awkward and IMO very poor quality. Even some of the sound coming from Quark near the end was just weird.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I've stated this in another topic, but I was really pleased with XSeed's choices for VA's except Michelle Ruff/Jessica (All I can hear is Yukari from Persona 3, a character I loathe, but the VA is very good and I'm sure I'll adjust) and whoever is Phacia (should've sounded older).

I've wanted to appreciate Vic for all the work he's done, but when he pulls that crap I feel a little betrayed.

I just gotta keep saying, "Enjoy this iteration of Lunar!" and look positively at it. After all, if it was the same game with a few extra scenes, I probably wouldnt care as much.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I'm surprised you don't like Jessica's VA, because to me she sounds fine. I can separate myself from characters other people have played unless they are used constantly. Format your Lunar harddrive and start from scratch.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

Like I said, I really like her as a VA its just what I associate with her that I hate XD I'll adjust and learn to love it. The more I hear it, the better fit it seems. Voice clips aren't the best judge either. I like to see how they do as far as conversing, too. :mrgreen:

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

A lot of people are forgetting that without the imagery to go along with the voices a lot is lost in both emotion and atmosphere. In-game character expression helps to amplify the voice, and vice-versa.

Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zhane Masaki »

I hate to necropost this topic back from the dead, but I'm researching the VAs now and could use help...Wikipedia has some of it, and that's about all I got. X.x
Also an expert on the Phantasy Star tetralogy, Ys, Star Ocean, Dirty Pair, and most things Universal Century Gundam

Visit My Backloggery to keep up on my gaming exploits!

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I wish I could help you, but I haven't talked to Jessica from XSEED in a long time and I don't even know if she would be allowed to tell me the voice actors. I don't even know if they're listed during the game credits to be honest. Seems like some weird actors guild restriction.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

The hell? Since when are actors are allowed to be listed? It's like the cast not taking a bow at the end of a play.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray