Game crashes?

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
fates
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Game crashes?

Post by fates »

I ran the amazon.jp page for this game through a translator and one of the reviews says the game has a problem with crashing. Is this true, has anyone encountered it?

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Re: Game crashes?

Post by Silver Phoenix »

This is the first I've heard of it. I'm thinking there is more of a possibility if it was downloaded onto the PSP Go.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Just finished the Red Dragon Cave. No problems yet.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ガンホー・ワークス-ルナ-~ハーモニー-オブ-シルバースター~/dp/B0029U2C96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1259957331&sr=8-1

Links to stuff like this are generally helpful.

Anyway, the review mentions this happening on a PSP-1000/2000, but after a really long period of playing. It's probably something related to that; I wouldn't be surprised if it only happens if you leave the PSP alone while the game is running and it goes to sleep. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, I'm playing on a 3000, and put it into suspend mode (or whatever it's called) whenever I stop playing. The only problem I've had is that one of those times it got turned all the way off (switch may have been pushed by something in my purse, for all I know) and I ended up running around a little pointlessly because apparently I hadn't saved after talking to Damon and the previous save was in the tower going up. I didn't realize I hadn't saved, so I exited the tower and went to talk to people and nothing was different; then I went back to talk to him again and found I had to do the clay sculpture thing again. Got rather overlevelled in the process of all this too. :P But I don't think any of that was likely to be an actual crash, just a screwup on my part.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I remember some of those Amazon comments, also some similar complaints elsewhere about graphical anomalies during loading. Something to do with a bearded old man sprite. I wish I could say I've seen anything of the sort, but my experience has been trouble-free so far. It seems that you don't get to see any fireworks on a 3000.
「まあいいけど。」

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

No problems for me, but I'm cheating 'cause I'm using custom firmware.
-Nobi

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

There were a whole lot more complaints on Amazon about the atrocious, inexplicable load times than crashes, though, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect so much. Then again, you can never tell when it's just a bunch of 2ch kids who have been sent over to deluge the reviews section as a prank, but I suspect that these are genuine problems.
aka Maou

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Let us pray that these load times can be rectified. XSEED hasn't even acknowledged any participation in localizing this game.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

To be honest, I'm only finding the load times mildly annoying. Moreso when you're somewhere like Nanza where there are a whole lot of doors and stairs. I'd hardly notice it if the music didn't fade out and back in.

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Alunissage wrote: I'd hardly notice it if the music didn't fade out and back in.
Yeah, that was my main gripe with it in the demo. The load itself wasn't so bad, it was just the music cutting that made it jarring.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

At least the music continues where it left off. I got so sick of the beginning of the Reza music in SSSC. Every time you went through a doorway -- and that town was riddled with them -- that bloody trumpet started up again.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Seeing as how it's been so long since I touched SSSC for an actual playthrough, it seems like they wanted to continue to annoy you with the loading in SSH. :P

Now the smart thing to do would be to redo SSSC in HD and make it along with EB a downloadable game on the PSN. That would frankly be awesome, because playing the PS1 disc makes my eyes bleed. Will this happen? Not likely.

Of course it is likely to just make SSSC/EBC normal available on PSN since any added rpg games is a good thing for the PS3.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I think I jinxed myself with my last post in this thread. A couple hours of play after posting, the game failed to initialize the menu during a fight. I lost less progress than I had feared though. So, one bug reported. :P

Most load pauses are about 3 seconds, and like Alun mentioned, I find that it generally doesn't bother me much. Exceptions include Nanza for aforementioned reasons, and Meribia, where the houses have these pointless, empty little front halls. :| In dungeons the pauses are even kind of fun - I have a sense of anticipation. Without the continuity of the same music, I have no idea what the next screen will present.

I'm hardly a game designer, but even messing around with RPG Maker lets me imagine some simple workarounds that might streamline this somewhat. Maybe the NA version could reduce the loading without too much trouble.
「まあいいけど。」

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

It's certainly possible.

One case of such happening was the EU version of Odin Sphere. It had slightly less slowdown issues than both the japanese and american versions had.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, those front halls in the Meribia houses were annoying for that reason, and seemed strange too. But then I looked at SSSC and realized that the houses all have them too, albeit much less deep, so I suppose they were just going along with that general design. In SSS, though, there was no distinction between the normal houses and the outside (e.g., the music continued and the monsters didn't respawn on exit), so the anterooms were barely noticeable except when a random pet got between you and the doorway.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I hated when you got stuck trying to leave a building and someone is blocking the way. That seems to be in a lot of rpgs.

Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zhane Masaki »

I have had problems getting out of Althena's City after getting the Holy Mace. It freezes. Someone help?
Also an expert on the Phantasy Star tetralogy, Ys, Star Ocean, Dirty Pair, and most things Universal Century Gundam

Visit My Backloggery to keep up on my gaming exploits!

makingthingsup
Meribian Merchant

Post by makingthingsup »

Does the game freeze immediately after you get the Holy Mace? Or is it when you are just walking around Althena's city?

Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zhane Masaki »

Well, of course, we have to kill both enemies to get out of the room, I usually go for the mace, equip it, then kill off the enemies. Only after I kill one of them, the screen suddenly shifts to a weird angle where Alex is cut off of the screen and the game freezes up with me unable to move. Please IM me with help on this.
Also an expert on the Phantasy Star tetralogy, Ys, Star Ocean, Dirty Pair, and most things Universal Century Gundam

Visit My Backloggery to keep up on my gaming exploits!