So... are the load times still present?

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
fates
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

So... are the load times still present?

Post by fates »

Are the jarring transitions between areas still in the final version? Just curious. It's not something I'd not purchase over... but I just want to know if I'll still have to deal with it.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Re: So... are the load times still present?

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Yes.
-Nobi

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Eep, the reviews are likely gonna dock points for that.

As for me, I'll probably get used to them after a while.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

The load times and the way the music cuts out get mentioned a lot on the blog posts and product reviews I've read. Some players are also suggesting it's easier than SSS, so the difficulty level of the demo is probably retained. (We have a bigger arsenal than ever, but the game is easier? I hope Xseed rebalances the difficulty...)
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yes, the game is definitely easier. Not as easy as the demo, since you do in fact start at level 1 and with 0 silver rather than level 3 and 500 S, but having the Arts Gauge AND the refilling of HP and MP at level-up can really unbalance things. Not to mention that the monster stats (and everything else's stats too) appear to be the same as the Saturn game, while they were a bit different in the NA PS version (I haven't checked the JP PS or PC games for this, so don't know when the change was made). So the HSS monsters have lower attack (but higher HP) than people who played SSSC are used to, and give more EXP and Silver.

That said, the dungeons being shorter means potentially less levelling up before event battles, which I found to be the case in the Weird Woods. Without the Arts move, I might've not made it through that at level 8. On the other hand, enemies respawn in every screen, so if you do any backtracking -- which I kept doing in the Hag's woods because it was hard to tell how the screens connected -- you do get more battles.

I should add that in the case of the woods near the Hag's house I wasn't particularly annoyed by the slightly confusing way the screens joined, because they were just so pretty. It actually made it seem a lot more realistic to me, not having clearly defined and obvious paths. I went to Redwoods National Park over Labor Day weekend, and the game's design did make me think of that.

Edit: To amplify on the difficulty, or lack thereof, the Saline Slimer (The Ooze) was a pushover at level 13. Granted, I was definitely overlevelled for it, but the fixed stats really show. I never have gotten around to confirming (or not) that tying the boss stats to Alex's level was a WD addition, but that sure isn't the case here, as I've now confirmed with the guide.