On its way!

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: On its way!

Post by Kizyr »

Michiko Naruke (of Wild Arms fame) worked on the piano arrangements!
We'll have tracklists up in a moment. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Kizyr wrote:Michiko Naruke (of Wild Arms fame) worked on the piano arrangements!
We'll have tracklists up in a moment. KF
That makes total sense actually. I was just telling my sister the other day that the first one (the Overworld piano arrange) sounded like it belonged in a Western style Saloon or something. XD
-Nobi

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

I got a chance to listen to the music from the game. Somebody ripped the actual tracks from the game so I dont know what is or isnt on here thats on the bonus cd. This listing I found has 80 songs minus the vocal songs (some songs arent songs per say...rather, they are "crickets chirping", etc.)....

My thoughts? It's ok. It definitely sound better than SSSC arrangements but it still doesnt match TSS quality imo. Some tracks are very beautiful ("recollection" from this list sounds beautifully redone) while others I still cant stand (labeled "song of the Blue Dragon" in this list). As for the infamous cave song, I never minded it as much as some of you do lol I still personally think there are some others that I dislike more than that one...

Since it's not actually the game itself, AND if it's ok to do so, I could always upload it if anyone is interested..
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Seeing that Iwadare performed the ocarina parts reminds me... On the official site he mentions that he learned to play the ocarina for Harmony, "because Alex is set up as a great ocarina player".
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

WTF is the cave music from EB doing here? The White Dragon Cave music is different, but they left that crap for the other dragon caves? I haven't played SSSC in forever, and it looks like sh|t trying to play it on PS3 through an HDTV (cinemas, ugh) but was the horrid cave music also in SSSC's dragon caves? I vaguely remember thinking it is.

I agree with G1, as Mysterious Cave is probably my favorite track from the remake. I also like the song I called the Pineapple theme for whatever reason, it's the music played in the overworld once you get to Meribia I think.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't think it was the dragon cave music in SSSC -- you'd think I'd know for sure, as I just played that part recently, but I can't remember -- but it was in other parts of the game, like the Old Hag's Woods.

I've also been playing SSSC on PS3 with some huge TV (I totally cannot keep up with the flavors of TV; it's just works or doesn't work to me), and yes, the cutscenes are jarring. I find that my eyes just get used to it and stop noticing, though, which is probably related to my not distinguishing types of TV. :P The voices are more jarring than the visuals to me. I really would like to hear an all-new cast. None of them sound right to me any more, not even Ghaleon. Maybe Kyle, but I haven't gotten to his entrance yet in my current game.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yeah, I think having the Smoothing option on was good for the cutscenes but it actually looked better with it off when playing the actual game. I'd have to recheck that. I agree with the voice actors, and *gasp* even John Truitt as Ghaleon.

There are far better voice actors out there, and some who may surprise you with what emotion and depth they can give to a character. If you look at Ghaleon now, and especially his youth in the prelude John Truitt's voice don't exactly seem to fit. I think at the time of TSS and EB he fit the character, but I think his best role was as Ghaleon in EB because it fit the best. Ghaleon more than anything needs a voice actor who can make him sound both regal and possibly deceptive without a downright evil overtone like TSS.

If you re-listen to Ghaleon's dialogue when he first meets Alex in TSS he sounds overly cocky and sinister, which is a bit forced.

Now, I do like John Truitt and would be fine if he voiced Ghaleon again but I'm open to new talent for all of the characters (and better singers!).

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

To be honest, I thought SSSC was the worst version of Ghaleon that John Truitt did. But then, I'm not sure if that's the voice acting, or the lines. Stuff like "Send in the clowns" just didn't fit Ghaleon IMO. And I'm in agreement that the best John Truitt Ghaleon was EB. It was phenominal. I remember being so pissed when they cut out part of the Pentagulia scene where Ghaleon speaks to Lucia as she's tied up on the wall.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Vic got most if not all of his VA's from Redding, CA and local theater groups if I recall. Not a high caliber of talent. There are plenty of professionals who could do an amazing job, and let's hope for the best.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Silver Phoenix wrote:If you re-listen to Ghaleon's dialogue when he first meets Alex in TSS he sounds overly cocky and sinister, which is a bit forced.
To be fair, this is the tone that Naya Rokurou had in the original TSS too, though the effect is accomplished with his wavery voice instead of Truitt's sneering voice. The mood is similar, though. With the insufferably boring Yanada Kiyoyuki, of course, the tone is changed and made room for a more regal but less sinister and less interesting Ghaleon. It does sort of go with the reimagining of SSS Ghaleon as being the 'most beautiful man in Lunar,' who, like with Truitt, doesn't make as much sense with Naya's voice.
aka Maou

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

If it's a remake I think they should keep the voice actors if possible. But key characters like Ghaleon really cant get new actors.

But I suppose if they're are planning on making a new string of remakes then a new cast is possible. But that would make me hope for a Lunar 3 and that would just be down right mean.

Also, about the "quality" and "caliber" of theater actors...I would have to say that the actors used in Lunar were great. Plus there is a lot of politics involved in creating a "star" and what one views as good or quality is easily influenced by the star's popularity.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

No, quality has to do a lot with tone and inflection let alone depth in performance. I didn't say they were horrible performers, but most sounded amateur. John Truitt is the only VA that sounded professional. None of the former VA's were stars, and no one said they needed to be.

It still doesn't change the fact that the results could be even better with a new cast.

Siazair
Student of Vane

Post by Siazair »

Not True! Alex's VA went on to have a hit single then vanish off the face of the earth :3

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I actually think a change with professional VAs would be a nice change. I love Truitt's voice and it would be hard for me to listen to Ghaleon without it, however, a change might be for the best. Good quality acting is always good. :3

I just honestly hope they don't get Johnny Young Bosch or Yuri Lowenthal (even though they are excellent VAs and I do love them) to do ANYONE since they are already in almost every new game and anime out there lately. :roll:

Actually, going back to Ghaleon, the only person I could see even remotely pulling off Ghaleon would be Kirk Thornton.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Silver Phoenix wrote:John Truitt is the only VA that sounded professional.
Let me mention that T. Owen Smith (Zophar) was good, even at the risk of sounding contrary. :P
Dark_Fairy wrote:Actually, going back to Ghaleon, the only person I could see even remotely pulling off Ghaleon would be Kirk Thornton.
Now that I think about it, if you model off of Kiyoyuki Yanada, Crispin Freeman would be a good fit. Overused VAs FTW!! (Of course, I'm not likely to know the name of a VA that isn't overused.)
「まあいいけど。」

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

sigh...if only Vincent Price were here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vince ... riller.ogg

Jk, btw :wink:
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

lady465
Meribian Merchant

Post by lady465 »

Nobiyuki77 wrote: EDIT: NCSX just updated their site, it's in. If you didn't preorder they still have a few CDs left if you want to order the game today.
Thanks for making that edit! I didn't have money until the day you put that up and I didn't think the preorder bonuses would still be available. I ordered right after I saw this and it arrived yesterday with the bonus :)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

You're welcome. ^_^
-Nobi

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Zophar's VA had all effects on his voice, but I suppose it was fine for the man-woman that he was with an overly masculine voice.

As for Ashley Angel, he is a better singer than actor and he came and went real quick.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'll still give nods to the actor that did Quark (Delhousse?). His Quark is different from the Japanese Fidy, and both are quite good.
-G1