Demo!

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Demo!

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

Nice work Nobiyuki! I downloaded them and they play perfectly. I used Media Player Classic btw.
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Well, now I tried to get a bigger memory card, and didn't realize the SD vs SDHC difference. So, I don't have time to record tomorrow... so expect that Let's Play video sometime Wednesday.

But I swear, I'm not gonna let this be another project that I swear I'll do and never get back around to. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Hey, at least you didn't postpone your current SSH project for 3 weeks like I did. I swear, it'll be worth it though.

BTW, I just downloaded that demo soundtrack from a few pages back. Man, this music quality is awesome. I'm really considering building a music player with one of these songs into the new SSH microsite.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

F'n Hell. There is nothing like Lunar, and it just pisses me off more that this series hasn't progressed the way it should on a CONSOLE. The music is better, but I don't know if it's Nobi's speakers or the audio in general through the recording that makes it sound less clean. There is feedback during Luna's singing that causes distortion, but when it goes into the cutscene it's at a lower volume so it's not as noticeable.

I'm still awaiting a Lunar game with a soundtrack as stellar as TSS, and from what I hear this is better than SSS but certainly not TSS caliber. It's a shame they didn't blow our minds by incorporating the TSS soundtrack into this remake, because that would have really stunned people. Of course then you'd have people complaining that the music sounds nothing like it did in SSS. The problem is that they retooled SSS's music to sound more like EB's.

I haven't gotten a PSP yet so I appreciate Nobiyuki and Kizyr working on videos for everyone. It's a damn shame that the PS3 doesn't have the ability to download and play PSP games on the PS3, because that would be a smart money-making move for them. One other thing... I hope XSEED uses Star Light and Silver Light as an homage to TSS, because Mental Gum and Healing Gum just suck.

Kizyr, the only TSS snippet of music you hear occurs right as Quark is lifting his head in the cutscene so you weren't mistaken. It's the music that actually plays when you first meet Quark after the foreboding intro and what you're referring to is the trumpet piece, and then the soothing harp melody. There would have to be a clip of the Sega CD video of this exact spot so the music could be referenced better. It's the same music that plays when The Magic Emperor appears as well in TSS, minus the harps. I have a cd with all of the TSS tracks ripped from the game, but you could also play the Sega CD TSS in a cd player and it should work if I recall correctly. I don't have either of my Sega CD Lunars anymore as I gave them and a Sega CD as a gift to a best friend years ago. :cry:

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Silver Phoenix wrote:F'n Hell. There is nothing like Lunar, and it just pisses me off more that this series hasn't progressed the way it should on a CONSOLE. The music is better, but I don't know if it's Nobi's speakers or the audio in general through the recording that makes it sound less clean. There is feedback during Luna's singing that causes distortion, but when it goes into the cutscene it's at a lower volume so it's not as noticeable.
The program I used didn't record the video or audio 100% well. The audio is much cleaner than my recordings sadly. Just take a gander at the music rips from a previous page and you're clearly hear the difference. ^_^
-Nobi

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

3rd post on page 4. DevNall ripped them perfectly. You'll see the quality is exceptional.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I can't play the .m4a files on Windows Media Player. What program plays this?

Edit: What the hell!? I just chose to play it on Media Player Classic and it works. I don't understand why it doesn't work on the current Media Player though. I have to say, it's a shame that the sound on this PSP version wipes it's ass with the PSOne version, and probably even the Saturn version. I don't remember hearing all of this music during Nobiyuki's playthrough. That seemingly guitar only version of Wind's Nocturne was really nice, and it reminds me of the sad piano theme in TSS. It's hard to say if some of these songs were fully orchestrated via the quality of what I'm hearing, but I don't think they are. The guitar strumming does have a very real quality to it. Man I could only wish for remastered TSS music. I would die happy!

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote:3rd post on page 4. DevNall ripped them perfectly. You'll see the quality is exceptional.
On this note, I combined those songs with the three other ones from the minigame into one archive, with some embedded artwork for iPods and the like:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G2GL8GKC
Silver Phoenix wrote:I can't play the .m4a files on Windows Media Player. What program plays this?
MPEG4. I thought most of the modern players supported that these days!

But if it's a problem for people I can export them in a different format.
Silver Phoenix wrote:I have to say, it's a shame that the sound on this PSP version wipes it's ass with the PSOne version, and probably even the Saturn version. I don't remember hearing all of this music during Nobiyuki's playthrough.
The PSOne, Saturn, and even the Windows version all use synthesized MIDI (or its equivalent on that platform). I think they kept those songs pretty simple in order to reach the lowest common denominator, so to speak.

I think the only two songs that might not have shown up in that playthrough are:
- BGM44 (Weird Woods) which is briefly accessible in the demo, and
- BGM24 (Sad Music) which I don't think is accessible in the demo, but I think it is referenced by the scripts for Burg, so...

(The numbering of all the songs is identical to SSS.)

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

After listening to some of the music, my hype slightly dropped for this game.

Remixing a song doesn't help enough when the original (SSSC, not TSS, that one is great) battle theme is the worst battle theme ever. I wouldn't mind if it was a town theme or something, but when its a song I have to listen through most of the game, things are a little different...
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Silver Phoenix wrote: It's a shame they didn't blow our minds by incorporating the TSS soundtrack into this remake, because that would have really stunned people.
I swear I remember hearing that there was legal issues with using TSS's soundtrack. Hence the reason for a new soundtrack with SSS whereas EB's remake retained it's soundtrack (minus Ghaleon's second theme, as Shiva has mentioned).
-G1

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

GhaleonOne wrote:I swear I remember hearing that there was legal issues with using TSS's soundtrack. Hence the reason for a new soundtrack with SSS whereas EB's remake retained it's soundtrack (minus Ghaleon's second theme, as Shiva has mentioned).
Perhaps it has something to do with the three other guys who contributed to the TSS soundtrack?
「まあいいけど。」

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I didn't even realize others contributed. I always assumed it was Iwadare's. That might be why though.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

If that was the case, he should have swallowed his pride and worked with them to gain access to using the music. They probably wanted credit or some kind of royalties. I could kill them all myself for not using the original music.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

GhaleonOne wrote:I didn't even realize others contributed. I always assumed it was Iwadare's. That might be why though.
From Wikipedia:

"The music for Lunar: The Silver Star was composed by Noriyuki Iwadare, Hiroshi Fujioka, Isao Mizoguchi, and Yoshiaki Kubodera, who utilized the Mega-CD's sound capabilities to create CD-quality redbook audio.[20] The game features the opening theme "Lunar", performed by Mayumi Sudou in the original Japanese version.[21] The English version, "Fighting Through the Darkness", is a slightly arranged piece performed by vocalist Shiya Almeda which features new lyrics by Victor Ireland, who intended the song to sound less "lovey-dovie" with a greater "sense of urgency".[22] The original ending theme, "Sensitive Dream", was performed by Kikuko Inoue, and was featured in the game's television commercial in Japan.[23] This song was absent from the North American version entirely, and was replaced by an instrumental piece."
-Nobi

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I remember Isao Mizoguchi, actually. Didn't he work on some later Lunar projects with Iwadare? SSS specifically? I'm pretty sure he was interviewed in the SSSC hardbound manual.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

He was, as part of Two-Five.

That article, as usual, has some wonky stuff. There is no official title for the TSS opening song; it's just LUNAR. And I'm pretty darn sure the Japan game does NOT have Sensitive Dream in it -- that's just on the OST. The ending credits music is the same, minus the outtake at the end.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Alunissage wrote:He was, as part of Two-Five.

That article, as usual, has some wonky stuff. There is no official title for the TSS opening song; it's just LUNAR. And I'm pretty darn sure the Japan game does NOT have Sensitive Dream in it -- that's just on the OST. The ending credits music is the same, minus the outtake at the end.
Good to know. I have the Mega-CD game but haven't finished it so I didn't know. ^^
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, to be fair, I haven't finished it either. But the tracks are just as playable on the MegaCD disc as on the SegaCD one.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

All right, I took a 4th take and it seems to be going ok. I figured a way to separately record my own voice, audio from the PSP, and video all separately (which means much better quality for the voice-over and PSP audio with minimal noise). I'm going to make a 5th take this afternoon and try to get this video up by Friday. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:All right, I took a 4th take and it seems to be going ok. I figured a way to separately record my own voice, audio from the PSP, and video all separately (which means much better quality for the voice-over and PSP audio with minimal noise). I'm going to make a 5th take this afternoon and try to get this video up by Friday. KF
Gooo Kizzie!

*cheerleads*
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.