old lunars on DS

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by phyco126 »

Actually, the portable Lunar's would do awesome if they actually put more effort into the games. I haven't played L:DS, so I have no right to complain about the game. But what of L:L? The bugs in that game are pretty annoying and the grammer or spelling didn't help one bit. I enjoyed it, as well as I felt that they did a great job translating Lunar into a portable. However, if they actually did more than put interns on the job, I bet that game could have sold more copies of itself (though, I'm not saying it would have sold enough to really count, but enough to show that people still love Lunar.)

Bah, I love L:L, but what I've always wanted is SSSC on the PSP. And this was back when SSSC was first released and the PSP wasn't even thought of, aside from a few fans who where called crazy.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Charles. The PSP is overrated and in a few years is going to be completely obsolte. :P
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The PSP would do better if it didn't cost so bloody much. You can get a DS for half the price, and currently, the software library for the DS is better than the PSP. Though there are quite a few titles coming to the PSP in the next year that look quite good. I'm especially thrilled at the Suikoden I and II re-release for it.
-G1

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

GhaleonOne wrote:The PSP would do better if it didn't cost so bloody much. You can get a DS for half the price, and currently, the software library for the DS is better than the PSP. Though there are quite a few titles coming to the PSP in the next year that look quite good. I'm especially thrilled at the Suikoden I and II re-release for it.

I'm telling you something bigger (or smaller in this case) and better is going to come out and everyone is going to curse themselves for paying so much for the PSP, this is just my prediction though.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

In a few years, our cellphones will kick both their asses. :)

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

DevNall wrote:In a few years, our cellphones will kick both their asses. :)

EXACTLY! Our phone will be our camera, IM, email, dvd, video game, and cell phone all in one. It's going to happen. Then the losers with the PSPs will be crying for their $300 that could buy them a full tank of gas :P

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The DS will be gone too at that point though. :P

In fact, that's worse for Nintendo than Sony. Nintendo makes way more money from the handheld market than the console market. Sony is the other way around.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I would say moreso on the software front. Most companies either take a loss, or gain a minimal profit on hardware sales. The game sales are what keeps the cash flowing.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Nintendo is the exception to that rule though. At least, from my understanding, Nintendo actually made profit on the GameCube sales when the system was introduced (vs. Microsoft's some odd 100 bucks a system loss from hardware sales).
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

All in all, I have to say that I hope any further incarnations of Lunar break from Nintendo. As I have observed over the years, Big N has not pandered to its older fans who grew up with NES and SNES. When Nin jumped to N64 and beyond, they started playing to younger crowds and abandoned the mature gamers they used to have as fans.

I never got into N64 or Cube because they all but ditched RPGs in general, save for several I could count on one hand, and that is what I mainly buy a console for. Hell, Big N didn't even really put money or effort into adult orientated games like sports, etc.

What I'm mainly saying is that because of their poor promotional abilities and lack of faithfulness to fans who are now in there 20's and 30's (which many of us are), I would not trust Nintendo with any future console version of Lunar.

I'd rather see Game Arts put it in the hands of Sony or even Microsoft because at least we know their developers and future cosoles would do the series justice instead of rush job handheld media like Nintendo :P

Nintendo just has too much invested in handheld (hell, it's all that's really keeping them afloat in what I like to now call the Console Cold Wars) to really put enough honest effort into their consoles, IMHO.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Considering that Nintendo has no real RPG franchises of its own (all the flagship NES and SNES series are owned by other companies), it's not so much that Nintendo abandoned the RPG gamer so much as the other companies abandoned Nintendo. The closest thing Nintendo has to a traditional RPG are its Zelda series and Fire Emblem, and Zelda is still doing quite well.

I think it did get stuck with the family-friendly charge though. Rather than growing up with its market (not abandoning per se), it just didn't change. The gamers who grew up on Nintendo wanted something else, so they left, following the developers who'd already established themselves on the Playstation. Nintendo itself is largely still the same.

I think the reason Lunar went with the DS is because it was the least risky method to test the waters for a Lunar audience. Right now, the DS is the cheapest platform to develop for, so if the investment doesn't pan out, there's less to lose. If GA had gone console and Dragon Song had a similar reception (let's say they still had the two combat modes, losing HP while dashing, and various story complaints) then GA would be in a much bigger hole.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Rune wrote:

Considering that Nintendo has no real RPG franchises of its own (all the flagship NES and SNES series are owned by other companies), it's not so much that Nintendo abandoned the RPG gamer so much as the other companies abandoned Nintendo. The closest thing Nintendo has to a traditional RPG are its Zelda series and Fire Emblem, and Zelda is still doing quite well

I conceed that point. Granted SE, Capcom, Konami, etc. all went over to Sony, but I like to think that if Nintendo had not made the mistake of staying with cartridge on N64, these companies might have at least made the games they put out for PS1 multi-platform.

And yeah, Zelda was the only thing that saved the N64 and Nintendo, along with Metroid :?

Rune wrote:

I think it did get stuck with the family-friendly charge though. Rather than growing up with its market (not abandoning per se), it just didn't change. The gamers who grew up on Nintendo wanted something else, so they left, following the developers who'd already established themselves on the Playstation. Nintendo itself is largely still the same.

That's my point, though. Nintendo hasnot really evolved enough to win those of us it decided not to pander to. And with what I've read about Revolution, I'm still moving away from Big N camp :)

But I'll always conceed certain things to you, since you have better inside sources than I.....cuz you are my inside source :P

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Nintendo hasnot really evolved enough to win those of us it decided not to pander to.

But right after the purple Gamecube, and GBA were released they caught their mistake, and tried to fix it. I thought the whole idea of the GBA SP re-design (lighting issues aside) was to make it look less like a Fisher Price toy and appeal to older audiences. The DS and newer non-purple Gamecubes are also trying to appeal to us older folks. Nintendo is really doing what they can to get the older audience back. That's why they're re-releasing all these '80s games we're nostalgic about. The Gamecube has more games aimed at both young and old gamers like the Metroids, and the new Zelda when it comes out. I agree, they lost me too, but I'm starting to forgive them. At least give Nintendo credit for trying.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I haven't truly loved Nintendo since...

Well, since they lost Squaresoft.

I had 20-30 Super Nintendo games, almost all of them RPGs.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Well, speaking of Nintendo and Square, did you see that Square was developing a basketball game for the DS? When they started developing it, they realized it was kinda quirky, and went to Nintendo about making it a Mario-themed game. So now SquareEnix is developing Mario Basketball for the DS.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

...No I didn't see that.

SE is developing MARIO BASKETBALL?

...dudes, leave Basketball to EA sports. That's what they DO for a living.

You're an RPG company. Make RPGs.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I wish EA would loose some of it's steam personally. They do some decent sports games (some, not all), but they buy up all the liscenses which screws everyone else over who tries to create a realistic sports game with correct teams and players. It personally annoys me that EA has the FIFA liscense, which screws over Konami's Winning Eleven, which is a better series overall.
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

and the new Zelda when it comes out

I must admit I am looking forward to the new Zelda. Once a Cube sells for $50, then I'll get one so I can play it.

True, Nintendo is trying, but I just don't think they can really keep relying on their old big name characters (Zelda, Mario, Metroid), to always bail a system out.

One of these days they will over compensate, and go the way of Sega. Honestly, some of my friends and I have been saying for years that Nintendo should give up on Consoles and just become a game company like Sega/Sammy.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Honestly, if Nintendo's games are more "childish", I think I'd rather play them -- they've been some of the most fun stuff I've played recently. (The PS1 was an awesome machine, but I really think a lot of the PS2's content has paled in comparison.)

Roas Atrades wrote:One of these days they will over compensate, and go the way of Sega. Honestly, some of my friends and I have been saying for years that Nintendo should give up on Consoles and just become a game company like Sega/Sammy.

Eh, having owned some of those latter Sega consoles, there's a big difference there. Also, having owned or used other portables, Nintendo is still producing the best stuff in this market by far, IMHO.

EDIT:
GhaleonOne wrote:Nintendo is the exception to that rule though. At least, from my understanding, Nintendo actually made profit on the GameCube sales when the system was introduced (vs. Microsoft's some odd 100 bucks a system loss from hardware sales).

Microsoft has constantly (or almost constantly) lost a ton of money on the X-Box. They're playing their usual game (as they've done elsewhere) in hopes of eventually ruling the market and then being able to do whatever they want.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

(The PS1 was an awesome machine, but I really think a lot of the PS2's content has paled in comparison.)

Well, let's think on that for a second. Almost every system from NES, to Genesis, SNES, and onward had their share of slush games that basically, well, blew monkey chunks. To say that the PS2 titles are weak, you have to admit that pretty much 60% of all titles on every console pretty much suck. There was just as much lame junk on the PS1 as there is on the PS2.

About 1 out of every 15 games on any console is probably worth renting let alone owning (don't hang on my math..I was a history major :) ).

Eh, having owned some of those latter Sega consoles, there's a big difference there. Also, having owned or used other portables, Nintendo is still producing the best stuff in this market by far, IMHO.

I've never argued that Nintendo's handhelds are poor. They are indeed the best out there for handheld fans, atm. The PSP is over priced and over hyped with its options and lack of decent content, for now. Personally, I just don't enjoy handheld gaming for more than a few moments. I tend to get bored with it very quickly.

Nintendo has never made the kiss of death move that Sega always did by releasing their newest consoles before the rest of the competition. But, Nintendo still does not seem to be gaining any ground on Sony or Microsoft in terms of power or quality with their consoles. Granted, online play is not something I do alot of (outside of FF XI), but Nintendo is still refusing to have the Revolution be online capable (last I heard). Now, I don't think a console needs to be able to play games online, but I am a fan of games that allow you to download extra content for the regular playing experience. By not evolving, Nintendo is ignoring thise nice aspect of online accessability.

Microsoft has constantly (or almost constantly) lost a ton of money on the X-Box. They're playing their usual game (as they've done elsewhere) in hopes of eventually ruling the market and then being able to do whatever they want.

Be that as it may, and I am not taking any side in this Console Cold War since I own a box and a PS2, I don't really think Microsoft (evil though they may be at times) really uses that game plan anymore. The Box is a very powerful machine, and many of its owners love it for that. One of my best friends always tries to start a console arguement with me by taunting the Box's machine strength over the PS2, but my neutrality always holds strong since I just want to play good games and I don't care where they come from.

That being said, I would gladly give Nintendo my patronage if they consistantly made games that appealed to my interests and age. The few and far between Zelda games, etc. are not enough to make me buy what may be an expensive system for a single game or two.

I made that mistake for Saturn with SSS, and got burned. Yes, I got to play Dragon Force (here's hoping the PS2 re-release makes it across the pond), but in retrospect I will not make such a mistake again. As I said earlier, the Cube would have to drop to something like $50 before I would buy it for a single game.