About the Fortress of Althena...

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

About the Fortress of Althena...

Post by DaWrestla »

At the end of SSSC, and even in the FMVs in EBC, it clearly looks like to me that the FoA EXPLODES. But yet there it is, rising out of the water in EBC. Does someone have an explanation for this?

Also, in LDS the mountain in the upper right of the center continent clearly looks like it has the Fortress of Althena underneath it. Which would mean the Cathedral of Althena in LDS would have to be at some point abandoned and the top portion of the FoA be discovered and made the new Cathedral of Althena...if all is to jive with SSSC when the fortress is buried underground and only the top portion is visible as the Cathedral of Althena. Discuss.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: About the Fortress of Althena...

Post by DevNall »

I can't explain the explosion (unless we want to apply the old rule that unless you see a body... or that was something else, i.e., magic being spread).

However, in SSSC as well, a lot of the cathedral appears to be under the mountain; the rest of the ground there may have sunk.

EDIT: Wait, the mountain to the right of the cathedral? Why do you think it's under that, because of the little structure coming out of the northeast side? That's actually the Negri Ocean Lab, where that came from, I don't know...

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

I think that the FoA is under the mountain to the northeast of the Cathedral because where else would it be? I mean, this is the continent that Vane was supposed to be on (wish it was in the game) and it clearly looks like it could be housing a massive fortress in the mountain. Let's not forget that in SSSC the fortress was underneath where the cathedral was.

...So, actually, I guess the Cathedral in LDS is just the top of the Fortress like it was in SSSC. The only difference being the inside of the Cathedral :) You're probably right.
Vaporized before my eyes

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

I just figured the explosion had more to do with the rapidly released magic. It does go all pretty and sparkly at the end, and then Althena's blessing returns to Lunar directly afterward. Additionally, even if there were an explosion, it's not as if all explosions result in complete destruction. Also, the whole explosion thing was generated by Luna who was outside (atop) the Fortress. Wouldn't that just lead to some superficial damage? There were barnacles and things all over it in Eternal Blue, so you wouldn't have been able to see that anyway.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

No, in SSSC it shows a large explosion, then when it dissapates, you just see sparkles. Also, there is no way something that large could have landed in the water and sunk, or else there would have been a tsunami. I can't explain it, but I say based on evidence, that Althena's Fortress was suppossed to of been destroyed in SSSC, but they made a mistake or wanted to add plenty of story to EBC or something.

(As a note, in TSS there was no FoA, right? So in EB, it only made sense to have the FoA in that game, since it wasn't in TSS so there would be no conflicts. But when they redid the games, they ended up with some conflicts. Does this make sense to you? It does to me :) )

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Oh it makes sense, but I'm not happy with it. I want things to make sense, damnit! :twisted:

As far as I'm concerned, this is the biggest discrepancy (sp) between SSSC and EBC. Yes, even greater than the supposed multiple rebirths conflict (I think I've decided that once I'm done with LDS, I'll play SSSC and EBC again, that way I get the whole story straight with no gaps). So, we HAVE to find a way to make this work. I'm wiling to go with "a wizard did it" if I have to, and it looks like I might.

Althena caused a superficial explosion that teleported the fortress underwater that way a) no one would suspect it was underwater becuase they couldn't see it and b) she didn't want a tsunami to hurt her friends on the cliffside.

There, that works :)
Vaporized before my eyes

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Actually, it's funny because I brought this topic up myself a while ago, though no more than several months ago if I remember correctly. No one really had an answer, aside that it wasn't really destroyed and what not. However, I never played EB, so don't know what to tell you. I only played EBC, so I'm just assuming that the FoA appeared in EB almost the same way it did in EBC, so I'm just guessing they made a mistake, adding in something to one game, but not being able to take it out of the other.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I think the staff had a plan for the Fortress from the beginning, and it's explosion just wasn't very well realized. The sequence was awkward in a game that had otherwise excellent cinema direction - it stood out.

For one thing, it clears up why Althena's Tower was in such a different location in EB.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yup, no fortress in TSS. I don't recall anything like it in EB, either.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Shiva Indis wrote:For one thing, it clears up why Althena's Tower was in such a different location in EB.

Atleast with SSSC and EBC, anyway, they appear in about the same place.