Who is your favorite?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
S.ninja
Student of Vane

Who is your favorite?

Postby S.ninja » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:52 am

Who is you favorite character from each game? Simple enough.

For me it's

1:Xenobia
2:Ronfar
3:Ellie
4:Flora

For me all but Ronfar where easy picks .
I was 12 when TSS can out and Xenobia was a video game crush of mine lol

I only played translated rom of the game gear version of walking school and watched the anime short (almost picked Memphis because of his huge head in the short)

I think Dragonsong had going for it was a (mostly) good cast and I like Flora's arc the most. I also like the green hair.

But EB was hard I like Ronfar Hiro and Leo almost the same but in the end Ronfar won because I like the lost faith and becoming a gambling drunk, thenfinding himself by helping others story

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Who is your favorite?

Postby Alunissage » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:53 am

Fresca's long been a favorite of mine, possibly because her hair is green in TSS. I also have always liked TSS Jessica. And Mia, who is considerably more self-confident in that game. They all got a bit stereotyped in SSSC. (In general, I liked TSS's versions of the characters better than SSSC's, but EBC's versions better than EB's.)

Ronfar's womanizing really irritated me in EB, but I got to like him better in EBC, where he becomes a competent and loyal friend to Hiro. Leo also really grew on me as the game(s) went on, since he's one of the few who really, truly, grows as a character -- not just realizing that he could rely on friends/stop running from the past/etc as the others do, but having to actually change his worldview and come to terms that he'd been working for the bad guys the whole time while thinking he was an agent of good and justice. That's a bitter pill to swallow, but he manages it. So I'd probably call him my favorite.

I still haven't played much of any version of Magic School, although I did read a translation of the manga years ago. Elie seems like a pretty good character, though.

For Dragon Song, probably Gabryel, who has a pretty heartbreaking job to do. I honestly don't remember enough of Flora to recall her character. Jian, of course, regularly needed thumping to not be an idiot, like most protagonists.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Postby Shinto-Cetra » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:48 pm

TSS: Ghaleon cause I love John Truitt's and Rokuro Naya's voice acting for him, even though he was over the top theatrically insane, he still had many redeeming qualities. Also Xenobia cause she legitimately wanted to help the Vile Tribe there; she's also a crush of mine. Plus they're both fabulous max.
EB/EBC: Mystere, cause he's probably the most hilarious character in Lunar, period. Also Ghaleon.
MSL: I've only read the manga to completion; the trio of Ellie, Rena, and Senia. I like their group dynamic and friendship.
Never Played DS.

ShugoHanasaki
Red Dragon Priest

Postby ShugoHanasaki » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:08 am

Ghaleon, Jessica, Mia, Phacia, Nall

Hiro, Lucia, Jean,
LUNAR Telegram Group Chat

https://t.me/WorldofLunar

"I'll fade away and classify myself as OBSOLETE"
- Jeff Hardy -

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Postby Kizyr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:36 am

Generally speaking, my favorite characters in JRPGs are rarely the protagonist or the villain. A lot of protagonists of the 90s-00s are the silent type, and even when they break the mold there's a lot of that silence left in them (e.g., even Hiro, whom I generally like, had less development than anyone else). And to be honest, a lot of villains have two-dimensional motivations and are underwhelming (Ghaleon was a big exception, but even one of my favorites like Tales of Phantasia had this problem).

That being said! With Lunar, it's actually hard for me to pick one, since there're often multiple foreground and background characters I really like! So I'm gonna slightly cheat and list like the top two for some. Also, I'm going to combine TSS/SSS, EB/EBC, and WS/MS in this.

For TSS/SSS: Mia and Jessica
Loved their characterization and especially how they developed/strengthened throughout the game.

For EB/EBC: Jean and Leo
Oh I could do an entire novel on how much I love these two... The scope of their development, how much they had to reckon with their past, and how they used that to push through and become their strengths... Also love that strong sense of justice and doing what's right. I might edge slightly for Leo, but it's so hard to pick one over the other here.

For WS/MS: Ellie
This is especially in MS, but from start to end you really see Ellie come out of her shell and become a strong character. Especially when she learns about her background (won't spoil here).

For DS: Ignatius
He came closest to killing Jian early and ending the story prematurely.

For DS: Flora
Eh she was resourceful? That's about all I can think of...
~Kizyr

Alunissage
Goddess

Postby Alunissage » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:12 am

Heh, I think more than once there was dialogue like this:

Flora: All right, to get to [our next destination] we need to do this/go here first.
Jian or Gabryel: Wow! How did you know that???
Flora: I asked someone!

Maybe not so surprising given how bad Jian is at asking anyone for help at any time. Again and again, even after several instances and even a dragon trial emphasizing how he needs to learn to ask for and accept help, he keeps trying to do it all on his own. I'm not sure whether it's ridiculous overconfidence, contempt for other people (not believing that they could possibly help), or what. And then the developers reinforced this by making every other character comparatively useless in combat, sabotaging that whole lesson he's supposed to be learning.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Postby Kizyr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Alunissage wrote:Flora: All right, to get to [our next destination] we need to do this/go here first.
Jian or Gabryel: Wow! How did you know that???
Flora: I asked someone!

...story woulda been better if they kept the bit where Jian got turned into a frog, and lost the bit where he ever got turned back. Then we could have a buddy-story with Lucia, Gabryel, and Flora roaming about without hand-holding Jian along the way. KF
~Kizyr

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Postby MaroonChan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 pm

Let's see:

1. Luna, Tempest, Nall, Nash
2. Lucia and Leo

ShugoHanasaki
Red Dragon Priest

Postby ShugoHanasaki » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:49 pm