A few corrections for lunar-net.com

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
MagicGuildMember
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

A few corrections for lunar-net.com

Post by MagicGuildMember »

Hi,

I noticed a few things that needed correcting on lunar-net.com and thought maybe someone here could get them updated.

The first one was the author being cited as ??? for the Lunatic Carnival and Lunatic Parade comics. The author for both of them was Akari Funato. She had asked that someone let you know she was the one who did both of them. There are 3 separate comic strips for Lunatic Carnival that can be found in the Sega Saturn Fan magazines in 1996. Regarding Lunatic Parade, there are 7 separate comic strips for that, which can be found in the Megadrive Fan magazines in 1994.

Also, regarding the novel section where it says: "In total, there are nine Lunar novels;" there are actually ten. I noticed one of the Magical School Lunar novels missing. It is called Magical School Lunar! RPG and it was done by Takeshi Suzuki and Keita Azuta. Here is a picture of the novel itself.

Lastly, in the Megadrive Fan scans for August of 1992, I noticed you might be missing the Attack Special for Lunar: The Silver Star Guide Vol. 1. It's a neat mini strategy guide with 27 pages in it. Vol. 2 is in the September issue.

I hope this helps and whoever worked to create this site rocks!
Last edited by MagicGuildMember on Tue May 09, 2017 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: A few corrections for lunar-net.com

Post by Sonic# »

Wow, this is great stuff! The web admin lead some busy lives (as do I), but I'm sure they appreciate the information and will make the updates when they have time. I'm just a forum admin, but I wanted to say thank you.

A bit of backstory to "whoever worked to create this site," GhaleonOne was the main creator. He established the site and built out many of its major sections. Then Kizyr has more recently updated, translated, and gathered materials for our more in-depth sections, with plenty of informational assistance from Alunissage and several other board members. The full credits would be too long and I don't want to leave anyone out, but collectively they've done amazing work over the years.
The author for both of them was Akari Funato. She had asked that someone let you know she was the one who did both of them.
Wow, it sounds like you've had some contact with Ms. Funato.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Huh. I cannot imagine how we missed Funato's credit for those, given that it's very common knowledge. That must be a very old page of the site. And it's good to know what magazines they appeared in; I have the PDF she released with the comics, but have not been able to find out which magazines actually ran them.

I'm afraid you're incorrect about the book whose cover you linked. That's not a novel; it's a tabletop RPG rulebook that works with the Magius RPG system. Kizyr and I each have the MS game rulebook, and he now has the Magius start book as well; putting up info on the MS book has been on his to-do list for approximately forever.

I also have both attack special guides that you mention and several other similar inserts from other magazines, but haven't gotten around to scan them yet. Unfortunately, I haven't had a good flatbed scanner set up at home for several years, and they were already giving me funny looks at work when I scanned the entire Lunar I+II artbook there... But thanks for the reminder that I have things that should be posted. The mixed blessing that is a site that's been around this long is that everyone working on it is well into adulthood and doesn't have the kind of time we did in school.

MagicGuildMember
Burg Farmer

Good call. "Tabletop RPG" is definitely a more accurate description given the map, character cutouts, and charts inside the book in addition to the mini scenarios.

MagicGuildMember
Burg Farmer

I also noticed you didn't have a listing for this or maybe I missed it.

If you press the button, it in effect says:

I want us to see what's beyond the floating clouds...
I want us know what lies at the end of the rainbow...
But to do that, I need you to go with me.
So come on, and let's set off on our adventure!

MagicGuildMember
Burg Farmer

Also, you may or may not have these other books by Akari Funato listed on the site, but I didn't see them.

This is the revised edition.

This is the first edition.

Edit: I also looked to see if I could find a picture of her book for the Lunar comics, but I couldn't find one on the internet. It's quite a rare find as I have only seen it for sale once. It has the comics for Lunar Magic School, etc. That was another book I noticed you were missing on the site.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

At first I thought you'd given two pics of the original edition of Paper Moon, because the little bit with the kanji below the English word MOON is so hard to see in that pic. I have both editions and should take a side-by-side photo, but I don't know if the fact that the colors in the cover are a bit different is due to the printing or an artifact of my individual copies. The colors on the later printing are a bit more intense... and, of course, it has more pages.

I also have the light green one at the end. But don't think I have the one in the middle. I don't remember that particular piece of Childhood's End art and will have to see if it's in the PDFs; it doesn't appear to be in the other three Funato booklets I have (one of which doesn't have any Lunar content). Some of the material in those makes up the additional pages in the second edition of Paper Moon, as I recall, but I'll have to compare another time.

One of them, JAMjar, has a couple of pages of MS character sketches; is that the one you're thinking of? Or do you mean the items in the LUNAR Lunatic Collection PDF?

MagicGuildMember
Burg Farmer

You're exactly right about the Paper Moon versions. You can see that Luna's mouth is different from the original and the colors have been redone.

I believe the Childhood's End artbook (or Akari Funato Rough Sketches: Lunar Dash as it is called) is also available as a PDF along with the Lunar: Tale of the Vane Airship 1998 Akari Funato Work Rough Sketches (the green book). If you have the green one and the Lunar: Lunatic Collection PDF, you probably have the last one, too. The Lunar: Lunatic Collection can be viewed on whatever in digital format. The other two books require Cypherguard and can only be viewed on a single machine. No printing and no screenshots.

As for the last one I couldn't find a picture of, I believe it is a hard copy of the Lunar: Lunatic Collection.

Hard copies for the different books were available at first and then Akari Funato has been moving all of her stuff digital. The Lunar: Tale of the Vane Airship comic is also now available in digital format.

I also might add the newest printing of the Lunar: Tale of the Vane Airship comic (the one with the blue cover and not the white border), which came out around the release of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, had only 5,000 copies printed if I remember correctly, so it'll likely be a rarity in the future as Lunar fans buy them up for their collections.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

...I know I'm right. I told you, I have the copies right here. I also have the two PDFs that have been available for years (released in 2004), and both editions of the Vheen manga. (I tend to use a bit of shorthand to refer to the items rather than their full titles in either language to keep things simple.)

Look, I appreciate that you're trying to provide information, and I'm glad to know roughly which issues of Saturn Fan and Megadrive Fan to look for, but you seem to be assuming that because material isn't up on the main site, it's totally unknown. It isn't; we just don't have the time we used to.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

MagicGuildMember wrote:The first one was the author being cited as ??? for the Lunatic Carnival and Lunatic Parade comics. The author for both of them was Akari Funato. She had asked that someone let you know she was the one who did both of them. There are 3 separate comic strips for Lunatic Carnival that can be found in the Sega Saturn Fan magazines in 1996. Regarding Lunatic Parade, there are 7 separate comic strips for that, which can be found in the Megadrive Fan magazines in 1994.
All right! Thank you for the information.

As you may have noticed, I've been very gradually updating some of the sections over the... ... ...years, honestly... and this year I'm finally getting to all the non-game sections. So I'll roll that into the next update to make sure the manga credits and info are up-to-date. Quite simply, I haven't touched that section in quite a while.
MagicGuildMember wrote:Also, regarding the novel section where it says: "In total, there are nine Lunar novels;" there are actually ten. I noticed one of the Magical School Lunar novels missing. It is called Magical School Lunar! RPG and it was done by Takeshi Suzuki and Keita Azuta. Here is a picture of the novel itself.
As Alun and others pointed out, while this is an incredibly rare Lunar item (to-date it's the hardest thing I've ever tried to find), it's a TRPG book -- really it's no more of a novel than the strategy guides or artbooks would be.

Also, I'm way more familiar with Western TRPGs (D&D, Pathfinder, Shadowrun) than the MAGIUS system, and there's a lot of dense information here to unpack. So it'll probably be some time before I can actually sit down and explain what all is in this. The short version is that the MAGIUS system is basically a series of scenarios you can play through -- and each person playing picks one of the actual characters from the game (so, no character creation, though I think there's guides in the MAGIUS rulebook itself for how one might do that). It strikes me as something like a hybrid of choose-your-own-adventure books and D&D.
MagicGuildMember wrote:Lastly, in the Megadrive Fan scans for August of 1992, I noticed you might be missing the Attack Special for Lunar: The Silver Star Guide Vol. 1. It's a neat mini strategy guide with 27 pages in it. Vol. 2 is in the September issue.
Yeah, it's because we don't have scans of that yet {^^}. We have plenty of older magazine article already up, so it's a lower priority than, say, the All The Lunar page (which is the next item on the list), or the MSL TRPG book.
MagicGuildMember wrote:I also noticed you didn't have a listing for this or maybe I missed it.
Huh... ...I've never seen anything like that before.
MagicGuildMember wrote:I hope this helps and whoever worked to create this site rocks!
Thanks! While G1 built the site and much of the initial content (as well as the main TSS/SSS/EB/EBC screenshot sections), I handled most of the recent updates and nearly all of the translations (except where otherwise indicated on the sites).

...and given a lot of the other things going on in the last couple years (for both me and G1), it also means we have less time these days to make the updates we'd like.

I just hope Damon doesn't show up again to get all preachy about how we're not doing enough... he's just never satisfied. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

A quick note about the voice card - it's a promotional goodie handed out to people at TGS 2009 when they played the demo of HoSS.

Kizyr, I trust you have All the Lunar and do not require any assistance in documenting it from flakes like me? (I'm trying to turn over a new leaf.)
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:A quick note about the voice card - it's a promotional goodie handed out to people at TGS 2009 when they played the demo of HoSS.

Kizyr, I trust you have All the Lunar and do not require any assistance in documenting it from flakes like me? (I'm trying to turn over a new leaf.)
I have it, probably don't need much help documenting it (assuming I don't run into compatibility issues again). It's just a matter of having time.

As might be apparent, the last several months have been a little rough so I haven't been able to devote much time to site updates. At best, maybe next February or March I'll be able to start again. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Enternal
NPC

Post by Enternal »

Not sure if this is the right place to post it but if you go to the "Novels" page under the "Merchandise" section, the link to Eternal Blue's third volume "Lunar 2 Eternal Blue, Lucia of the Blue Star 3 (Aoki Hoshi no Lucia 3)" is pointed to "novels.php" instead of "eb3.php".

EDIT: Was missing a opening quotation mark. I'm crazy like that.
Last edited by Enternal on Tue May 01, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Thanks for the note!

BTW, Kizyr, since I apparently missed the last few posts of this thread, I have the HSS voice card linked above (of course!) and can someday take pics or something... I also have the TSS Attack Special (both volumes) mentioned above, and two or three similar items from other magazines. And, as always, other misc that hasn't been photographed.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Thanks for the note!

BTW, Kizyr, since I apparently missed the last few posts of this thread, I have the HSS voice card linked above (of course!) and can someday take pics or something... I also have the TSS Attack Special (both volumes) mentioned above, and two or three similar items from other magazines. And, as always, other misc that hasn't been photographed.
Yeah that would be pretty fantastic to have digitized resources of all that.

(It'll still be a bit to update LunarNET though. My current schedule is still too... uncertain, especially with recent health issues. I'm hoping to get back to a normal routine next month likely after Ramadan's done.) KF
~Kizyr (they|them)